Guys, I have just bought an 8120, installed the desktop manager, connected the BB and ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

c5VamPirE no está en línea Stack level 1

Computer won't discover the device! help

Advertisement

Guys,

I have just bought an 8120, installed the desktop manager, connected the BB and the laptop won't discover the device. The message I get when I try to "Detect" is "Device not Found". Read a few posts by other forum members, tried a few things but with no avail. In re-installed desktop manager 4.2 SP2 and I even tried on two different computers: a desktop and an apple ibook with the same outcome, device not found.

Took the device back and got it replaced and here I am with the new device, still having the same problem not being able to connect to my laptop.

Funny thing is that when I take the battery out and plug the BB via USB, the desktop manager finds the device and gives its PIN in the USB port settings. However with the battery back on, the device is not discoverable.

I don't know what else can I do at this stage, any hints/help would be greatly appreciated.

Saied

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    Try this thread:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...connected.html
    and welcome to the Stacks!

Thanks Lavagirl, I will try and wipe the device but how do I go about installing the OS? can I install another carrier's OS? would it matter if my device is locked or no? and can I tell if it is locked without having access to another SIM from another company?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...lackberry.html
    That's the how to thread
    and check for the 8120 OS here for your upgrade:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/blog.php?b=86
    As long as you delete the vendor.xml as the How To thread says, you can load any carrier OS on and it doesn't matter if it's locked to another carrier.

Thanks a million Lavagirl, will update after the wipe/install process

I am trying to wipe the BB but JL_Cmdr doesn't look like it's doing it. After I press '4' to wipe out the device and confirm it, it says connecting to device with a red screen and then it returns to the main menu. When I switch the device back up everything is still in place which means the wipe process didn't really work I suppose

Lavagirl, just wanted to say a big thank you as the device is now connected to the computer and everything seems to be working fine ! thanks a lot