Got my 8100 unlocked, and did a side by side comparison with my 8700 - ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sanjeevjoshi no está en línea Stack level 2

Comparing 8700 and 8100 side by side

Advertisement

Got my 8100 unlocked, and did a side by side comparison with my 8700 - also unlocked. Tried both devices on TMobile and Cingular.

1. 8100 seems to boot up faster
    2. 8700 appears to get a marginally better signal strength. I stress marginally - we are talking about 3 decibels max difference, across multiple scenarios, which is not worth talking about, unless you are in a really bad network patch and this could made a borderline difference between receiving and not receiving a signal at all. And indeed, if thats the case, you are probably not going to get data either way, and really poor voice
    3. Call quality is comparable, although 8700 is again marginally better - just barely so, but a careful listener will notice it
    4. 8100 seems to have a slightly faster browser performance, although I certainly did not expect it

Only other observation --> Like some of the smaller Nokia's (eg. the 6820 i had), the little 8100 does seem to have a few spots which are sensitive to the human touch wrt. signal strength. If you actually covered some of these spots with your hand, the signal strength will drop slightly - I have noticed this in many other phones, not a big deal.

Thats the quick report.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Comparing 8700 and 8100 side by side

And the media part?
    And the keys? I hear they are tiny.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Well, keys are terrific I think - small but adequate. Being a QWWERTY guy, I thought I would struggle with SURETYPE. Works great, although every now and then I find myself trying to type again with two thumbs! Will get over it in a few days I guess.

Media works fine -- music, pictures, camera, video. Only thing I could not figure out was why there was no ability to record a video, if this device had a camera, could store and play pictures and videos.

Maps seems to have a pre-built integration with bluetooth connected GPS, we should watch for those GPS units to come out soon...

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

graphreak no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks for the comparison. I've been wondering whether a switch would be worthwhile or not.
    The 8700 has suited my needs perfectly fine uptil now.
    Personally, I never really use the camera on a cell-phone.
    Or listen to any music.

On the GPS with the maps, I am thinking any Bluetooth unit -compatible with the standards on the phone- should work well with it.
    Anyone tried one yet?
    ~Graph
    8700g>DASH><8320><P1i><E71-2><G1>

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

San, have you figured out how to make the video play in full screen yet? I have not and have tried every shortcut and key possible.

Also, will be listing a Tip/Tricks for the 8100 here in a bit for everyone who is interested.

Oh, and the Blackberry Messenger is a new version also. Give me a bit and I will get screen shots of that also.

325inewbie no está en línea Stack level 3

I sucked it up and went and got an 8100 last night.........................and returned it today, the keys are just way to small - I felt like I needed to glue thumbtacks to my fingers to type on it - it is amazingly small and light - so much so they I barely felt like I was holding it and couldn't feel it in my pocket - media features are very cool and the tmo zen theme is amazing (I can't wait to get it for the 8700) - so all in all, its not a good phone for me but it is very cool

N8DBB, I havent figured out the video much. I am on my 4th Berry now (900, 7290, 8700, 8100), like to have the latest... the 8700 came close as a single device, this one is really there... not that I use the camera or SD card much. This is finally the phone luxury I was hoping for. Only other contender to date (which I would certainly gone for, if Cingular had let it happen) was the Nokia 6822. I had a great experience with my 6820 - but the 6822 was never released with BB connect in the NA triband configuration.

manapuaman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f011d6
    The ringer is much softer on the 8100 too.

LanceInPants no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D427F
    Wow, I really don't see how anyone can use their "fingers" to type on the 8100. It's way too small for that. I have the 8100 and I've re-addapted myself to the QWERTY with my thumbs....one thumb at a time.

~BLACK ICE~ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e224ba
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    This is my first blackberry. I came from using a sidekick. After using this device I realized how bad the sidekick was. I was worried about the keyboard as mnetioned in the above posts. After a little getting used too, I have adapted well, and now use both thumbs to type. SureType is GREAT!

Gar-williams no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think it also comes down to what you're used to: seems that users of the paddle BBs struggle getting used to the Pearl. As a BB virgin until recently I had nothing to compare it to other than a standard mobile. Once I got used to the QWERTY lay out I thought it was great - Suretype and trackball are terrific. 2 thumb typing not such an issue; I don't have small hands and haven't had any issues either. Screen size is adequate and display nice and sharp.

Maybe the 8800 is the answer to all you paddle jocks - the trackball is the biggie for you, I suspect as I personally found the wheel to be a pain when I trialled the Pearl and 8700.

Prophet_PVD no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204CE081
    I came off of a 7290, which was used only for email connectivity, tried the phone once, and promptly went out and bought a Motorola the next day. Too many reasons to get into on this thread, but basically RIM has a long way to go before they even begin to approach the level of functionality of a pure cell phone, if we can still call them that. [grin]

In any case, I just got my Pearl last Friday, and finally have the best of both worlds. Yes, using the full keyboard on the 7290 was easier, or should I say roomier, but there was no Suretype, even after the latest OS upgrade, so misspelled (sp?) were a constant problem. I love this thing... it is small, fast, I can get access to both my exchange inbox as well as personal email accounts in a single folder, web browsing is quick, display is sweet, camera is impressive... and best of all, it is TINY. This thing is smaller than my Razr was, and does SOOOO much more.

As I said, they have a way to go before the phone portion of this handset approaches the functionality of my Motorola, but for now, I can live with it... I finally have a blackberry that fits comfortably in my pocket.

brucewayne98 no está en línea Stack level 2

I agree prohet, i have a berry and a motorola, they're good for different things

klubhead no está en línea Stack level 3

I switched from a Sony ericsson w600 so suretype is a breeze for me.. Those buttons were small as hell