Well the topic pretty much says it all...so a few weeks ago my pearl was ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jbreidel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241EDB49

Cleaning the board contact under the pearl?

Advertisement

Well the topic pretty much says it all...so a few weeks ago my pearl was pretty much useless as far as using it as a button, it scrolled just fine. So I bought a new trackball assembly and that worked for about a day or so not perfect but better than it was. Now its pretty much back to the same thing. So im wondering if maybe the contact under the pearl that registers where it is hitting as a button is maybe dirty?

What would be the best way to get at that? I mean if I have to I can take the phone apart but I have no idea what size screwdriver I need for that. Also I dunno is it maybe possible that the board underneath may have come loose and isnt as far up as it should be? Who knows...any thoughts?

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Cleaning the board contact under the pearl?

Wow...if you've cleaned and replaced the trackball, not sure what else is possible!!
    Your guess is probably just as good as ours, I'm sure you've checked out this thread
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._pictures.html
    But good luck....

Yogich no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Not sure what to tell you. I only blew canned air in the hole where trackball goes. Seemed to work.

As for screwdriver, they are available on eBay. One seller was including it for free, with a TB assembly.

skelzer no está en línea Stack level 3

best trick would prob be to do the same thing I do with battery contacts in remotes, etc... find a pencil with the typical pink gritty eraser on the end... again, must be gritty... spin the eraser against the contact and it should be just enough to get it shiny/clean.

formul8 no está en línea Stack level 1

Use a cotton swab with some rubbing alcohol to clean the contact. Worked for me.

jbreidel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241EDB49

Quote Originally Posted by skelzer View Post
    best trick would prob be to do the same thing I do with battery contacts in remotes, etc... find a pencil with the typical pink gritty eraser on the end... again, must be gritty... spin the eraser against the contact and it should be just enough to get it shiny/clean.
    This worked perfectly!!!! My pearl works beautifully again! When its barely depressed it feels like new again! Thank you so so so much! I also noticed the little goldish area under it was a little loose, maybe it popped up or the adhesive to keep it there was loose I dunno but for now it works beautifully!

Thanks again to this site and for your advice!

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Nice tip Skelzer

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ awesome tip! I hadn't heard of that one.