I got my first 8100 a week and a half ago on a contract deal ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lilirose no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Changing carrier- Migrating settings from one BB to another?

Advertisement

I got my first 8100 a week and a half ago on a contract deal from a carrier here in Ireland (Vodafone IE). To make a very long story short, I discovered that their "unlimited" data access plan required me to use their proprietary "Vodafone Live" browser, which blocked out nearly all of the websites I wanted to visit (including the WAP version of this site!).

Needless to say, I was totally p*ssed off once I figured this out and demanded that they let me out of the contract, since their "unlimited" data was actually very limited.

Upon getting Vodafone to agree to let me out of the contract, I had to agree to send my Pearl back to them. I'm getting another one exactly like it from a different carrier (O2).

What I want to know is if there's a way to move the data and apps from my Vodafone BB to my O2 BB (preferably storing the data on my computer in the meantime so I can send the Voda BB back immediately rather than waiting for the O2 BB to arrive).

I want to migrate all my messages, address book, tasks, calendar, and apps. I do not want to migrate any settings, especially Internet settings (obviously), so I'm hesitant to try a direct backup and restore using BB Desktop Manager. BTW, my Desktop Manager version is currently 4.2.0.14.

Any advice?

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

Re: Changing carrier- Migrating settings from one BB to another?

First off, Welcome to the stacks!

The blackberry desktop has a backup/restore function. If you go to the advanced tab you can specify asdditional programs and modules to backup. Additionally there is a migrate function but I have not used this. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on using that.

Thank you, Mike!

I figured out how to save most of the data (address book, messages, etc) through Desktop Manager. I also checked out the "switch device wizard", but it looks like that will only allow me to migrate all of my apps and settings, rather than just a few chosen ones.

I definitely don't want to migrate everything, or my new BB will end up with the same crippled browser and Internet restrictions that the old one had. However, there are a couple of apps that I am just about desperate to save, since I paid for them!

Anyone? Help please?

Shel no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by lilirose
    Thank you, Mike!

I figured out how to save most of the data (address book, messages, etc) through Desktop Manager. I also checked out the "switch device wizard", but it looks like that will only allow me to migrate all of my apps and settings, rather than just a few chosen ones.

I definitely don't want to migrate everything, or my new BB will end up with the same crippled browser and Internet restrictions that the old one had. However, there are a couple of apps that I am just about desperate to save, since I paid for them!

Anyone? Help please?
    You can always transfer everything over, then delete those apps you don't want.

I don't know any other way to do it.

Go to Options, Advanced, Applications, and highlight the one you want to remove. Hit the menu button, and select "Delete".... poof! It's gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Shel
    You can always transfer everything over, then delete those apps you don't want.

I don't know any other way to do it.

Go to Options, Advanced, Applications, and highlight the one you want to remove. Hit the menu button, and select "Delete".... poof! It's gone!
    Thank you, Shel. I know how to delete apps. My problem is that the BB I'm sending back has altered settings that cannot be changed by the user- for example, if I go to "Advanced Options/Browser" the default browser is "Vodafone Live"- with no other option available, not even the standard "Internet Browser" that comes with the phone. I was still unable to change that option after installing Opera Mini, so it seems Vodafone has some sort of settings lock installed.

Obviously I don't want to migrate those locked settings to my new phone, or I won't be able to access the Internet at all, since Vodafone's browser can't be used by an O2 customer.