my other nokia phone displays the location of the cell tower its locked to, at ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

superdad no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

cell tower info display

Advertisement

my other nokia phone displays the location of the cell tower its locked to, at that point of time. its displayed just below the name of the operator on the phone display. Can any settings on the pearl activate this? i use this normally as a cheap alternative to gps

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

bootz52 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E241c0

Re: cell tower info display

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't understand something, and hopefully some of you stackers can help me...under the network selection setting you can choose automatic or manual, when I do this and search, I get both tmobile and Cingular. By default it is set for tmobile, since I have a tmobile BB, however when I check the signal strength of the cingular signal it is a lot better. After I select the Cingular signal, it says searching but never let's me make a call...is there a way around this so that I can use the Cingular tower? Maybe make a request to tmobile? What if I unlock my phone? If I unlock it, will it let me jump onto Cingular's tower to get this signal?? I know I won't have edge on it, I just want to be able to make some calls. I am only asking BC my cell doesn't work very well in my area of the city and I was told it would...thanks in advance

-Marc

Post script- if anyone wants to blackberry message me I am looking for people to talk to...thanks again.

bootz52 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E241c0

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~sorry don't know why it sent it twice.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Cingular and TMO have a deal in which customers of each cell company can use each others towers but only if you can't get a signal from your own provider. Usually it should pick the strongest tower. Sorry but you can't manually choose your tower or network.

The whole unlocking won't help you either. The unlocking is just so you can use any provider SIM in the phone. The SIM ties you to the specific network of your carrier.

Hope this helps.