( i posted this earlier today, but for some reason a lot of messages got ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

tecrishon no está en línea Device Expert
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Thumbs up CBS News ToGo Instant Alerts for Pearl (again)

Advertisement

(i posted this earlier today, but for some reason a lot of messages got deleted after the shut down...?!?! - so i'm posting it again)

N8DBB posted this thread in 3rd Party Apps (where it should be), but I figured this information would also benefit Pearl users:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...nt_alerts.html

I think this is important for Pearl users, b/c they send you news as messages (with videos), and THE VIDEO WORKS!!! This may be the closest thing to streaming news (even though we don't have an option of what videos) but it is the newest news.

Basically, it sends you messages with the latest news. It comes as "WAP Push Alert" and I'm pretty sure they count as SMS messages. In the message, it states whether it is a message or video, and then shows the headline of the news. It then shows you a URL with the story. If you go to the site, it will have about a paragraph summary of whats going on. If there is a video, it will then have a link to the video.

The video loads like a website does, and then opens in your media player. The videos I've received so far are about 30 seconds long. Whats nice, is since they load like a website, they aren't saved on your Pearl, meaning it takes no memory. After viewing the video, you CAN save it if you want (settings>save), but its just an option.

I'm including some examples of the messages they send (and the URL; if you log onto the URL on the Pearl, you will be able to see what it looks like, and should be able to view the videos):

URL: http://wap.cbs.com/br/f451

URL: http://wap.cbs.com/br/f45c

URL: http://wap.cbs.com/br/f45d

URL: http://wap.cbs.com/br/f469

The messages come AS THE NEWS IS HAPPENING!! I was amazed at how quick it came. For example, AS I was watching Bush's speech, I received a video of the beginning of it. And 5 minutes before it said on FoxNews that Rumsfeld was resigning, I got the text message (or WAP Push Alert). Its crazy!

I like this better than BBTV because (1) they don't save to your phone and take up your phones memory; (2) they send you the news very quickly [almost instantly]; (3) its AMERICAN news [nothing against canada, but besides the 'around the world', all the news is canadian]; (4) it is not a standalone program; and (5) it loads a lot quicker than the videos on BBTV.

Hope this helps! I love when I get something new that plays videos that I don't have to load on the Pearl!!

Maximus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    How does this service effect my current data plan with T-MO? I notice that when I select the URL of the alert, the T-Mo browser is activated...not the BB. is this okay?

mospeed no está en línea Stack level 1
    That is awesome! It works for me. Thanks for the link
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    Retired
    it doesn't effect your data plan at all. you need a data plan to be able to see the websites (and the videos), but thats it. it is a FREE service through CBSnews, and the only expense is text messages (b/c each message counts as an SMS message). if you have those already in your plan, you are good. if not, i believe each one is $.10 (so i wouldn't get it unless you already had them in your plan).

hope that helps.

Maximus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Just downloaded a news clip. This is great. I wonder how long this is going to be free?

PIN/ID
    Retired
    i don't know why they would start charging for it. one of their key things it that it is free (only have to be responsible for the text)...

i think it just gets you to use their news as opposed to someone else.

but it is great!!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    tech, what do you think? Think we need to start a thread for multimedia that is confirmed to work on the pearl?

Such as these CBS alerts, ABC news podcasts, etc?

PIN/ID
    Retired
    not a bad idea. might wanna wait until there are a number of them, and we can include examples to see if they want to do it.

i would love to know all the ones that work though (especially the ones that work with video!!)

i got class, but afterwards, i'll check around to see other sites...

Albeevr6 no está en línea Stack level 1
    For some reason I am not seeing video links when I get he messages. It says if its a video but doesnt show me any option to watch it.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    i just checked one of my older messages with a video still in my message folder...the link for the video is gone from there as well. i'm guessing that they must remove the video after a while...? only thing i can think of.