Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello Guys, I just got my BB yesterday and its a great phone. I have ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

puetoricensis no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249BEE90

Can't see You Tube videos on my Pearl 8120.

Advertisement

Hello Guys,

I just got my BB yesterday and its a great phone. I have not had any problems except that I can't seem to be able to view you tube videos. The answer to this question may be a simple one but i'm lost. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything helpfull.

The message that i get is the following:

"The protocol specified is not supported by the handheld. Please try a different URL"

I used the m.youtube.com page. The signal where i'm right now is low so that could be one reason.
    I went to the options when in the browser and i saw that the option of " support embedded media" was not selected. I left it as is, i don't want to messup the BB.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Pueto

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    Which software version are you using? I have tmobile with the original 4.3.0.115 that it came shipped with. I believe you have to upgrade to 4.5 software for youtube to work. Newer OS versions can be found in the Blackberry OS forum.
    ]

PIN/ID
    249BEE90
    Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    Which software version are you using? I have tmobile with the original 4.3.0.115 that it came shipped with. I believe you have to upgrade to 4.5 software for youtube to work. Newer OS versions can be found in the Blackberry OS forum.
    I have T-Mobile too, and the version i'm using is 4.3.0.115. That may be the problem. Which 4.5 OS would you recommend?

I saw alot of users saying the last version had a problem with resesting the phone by itself alot.

Most probably TMobile will put out an OS by nov- dec timeframe from what i read on the forum.

Do you think we should wait?

Pueto

arose4me7305 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24767c55
    You need to upgrade to 4.5 OS, but you're taking a risk because upgrading your software voids your warranty. So if you want to warranty exchange, you'll have to wipe it and re-install 4.3.... But that isn't 100% guaranteed that it'll work. (atleast from what my husband said)

That said, I'm taking that chance and upgrading to 4.5 next week. hehe...
    .Laci.
    t-mobile .8120.
    Diamonds are for girls.
    Pearls are for women.

mylinuxbox no está en línea Stack level 3
    I can't get youtube working on mine. I have 4.5 and just will not work. Have spoken to my carrier and they say they have a note from rim confirming youtube and some more will not work on rim phones.

Go figure on that one.
    Good luck getting it to work.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    249BEE90
    I'm not taking any chances I'm staying with my current os. I can surely live without you tube. Thanks for all your help guys.

Pueto

jaxdad no está en línea Stack level 1
    I callen RIM and they did say that youtube is not supported on the BB 8120! Anybody know if there is a way around this? What a bummer!

mitchsurp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    246F0115
    Youtube mobile uses what's called RTSP, or real-time streaming protocol. RIM OS 4.2 does NOT support RTSP, and this is what most tmo reps will tell you.

You must upgrade your phone to an unsupported OS on the network, like I did with the 4.5 from ORANGE. The only problem is that if you brick your phone, it's probably not covered under your provider's insurance plan.

tl;dr At the risk of bricking your phone, if you upgrade to 4.5, mobile youtube will work.

astroboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    252FE5C0
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxdad View Post
    I callen RIM and they did say that youtube is not supported on the BB 8120! Anybody know if there is a way around this? What a bummer!
    I'm able to watch youtube using OS 4.5 and it works great, but only on EDGE, not wi-fi. One trick that I found somewhere on pinstack is to set the browser option for emulation to "netscape".
    Many of us pay quite a bit to our carriers each month for these handsets. If you have the patience to follow the directions posted many places on this site it is very easy to upgrade your OS and get the most out of your device.

mitchsurp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    246F0115
    Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    I'm able to watch youtube using OS 4.5 and it works great, but only on EDGE, not wi-fi. One trick that I found somewhere on pinstack is to set the browser option for emulation to "netscape".
    Many of us pay quite a bit to our carriers each month for these handsets. If you have the patience to follow the directions posted many places on this site it is very easy to upgrade your OS and get the most out of your device.
    Actually, I have just the opposite issue. YouTube (as well as many third-party apps like NFL Mobile from Sprint) only work well (or some at all) when I'm connected via wifi.

buton no está en línea Stack level 2
    I can see youtube videos on my 8120 but just with my Wi fi connection, In Mexico we don't have apn, so if you have apn you will be able to see videos over edge.

I am using os 4.5
    Works great

astroboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    252FE5C0
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsurp View Post
    Actually, I have just the opposite issue. YouTube (as well as many third-party apps like NFL Mobile from Sprint) only work well (or some at all) when I'm connected via wifi.
    Interesting! Are you on T-mo like your profile says? I'll have to try you-tube some more with Wi-fi. Do you have your browser configured in a particular way? It seems like having it work on wi-fi would make a lot more sense. . .

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Yeah os 4.5 will also give you video capabilities. And youtube. But anything earlier then that will not allow the packet transfers for youtube.

Just will not work on my 8120. I have tried every setting possible - over wifi and gprs but nothing.

How can I connect to EDGE?

Instead of youtube have a look at :

funformobile.com

mywaves.com/m

I have spent ages trying to stream via youtube and got nowhere - but now these 2 have started to work over GPRS. Not got home yet but should work over wifi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast