I just purchased this BB Pearl a couple days ago now, and low and behold ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

MrPhlip17 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2402F533

Question Cannont get browser to work....

Advertisement

I just purchased this BB Pearl a couple days ago now, and low and behold i find that i manage to break the damn thing within 24 hours. Fortunatly the forums showed me how to reinstall the OS which actually had an update anyways.... for better or worse, i cannot go online currently. I donot have a data package with my service provider, but i notices it says turn wireless on or off.... also before i whiped my OS and updated it, it said data connection refused or somthing similar to that, which was really annoying, but now where it used to say that, it says AT&T. Does that mean i can connect to my wireless router and use the browser on my phone from my own ISP? and not from AT&T's? If this does not make any sense to you please let me know, i am a noob at this BB thing... Basically im about to install Opera for the Pearl, and maybe that will fix it, but the phone says somthing about books? is that something ONLY the service provider (AT&T) can send me? or is there a back door way to just get them so you can connect to your own service??? Please help me

Sleepless in Seattle....

Jason

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Re: Cannont get browser to work....

First, my intial thought would be to do a master reset. Also if your reg BB browser won't work installing Opera won't help. I am assuming you have done the software upgade available for Cing/ATT cust b/c that repairs many known issues(haven't heard this one though). If not that might help the issue as other have told me they ost their browser icions and then had they did update, had service books restored and everything was fine. Hope this helps.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Welcome to the Stacks Jason. If you don't have a data plan, you won't be able to browse the internet. With regards to "data connection refused", that usually shows up when you don't have a data plan. The OS update may have gotten rid of that. Turn wireless on/off is kind of like an airplane mode. It just turns your signal off so the phone can't be used, but the other features of the BB can.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhlip17
    I just purchased this BB Pearl a couple days ago now, and low and behold i find that i manage to break the damn thing within 24 hours. Fortunatly the forums showed me how to reinstall the OS which actually had an update anyways.... for better or worse, i cannot go online currently. I donot have a data package with my service provider, but i notices it says turn wireless on or off.... also before i whiped my OS and updated it, it said data connection refused or somthing similar to that, which was really annoying, but now where it used to say that, it says AT&T. Does that mean i can connect to my wireless router and use the browser on my phone from my own ISP? and not from AT&T's? If this does not make any sense to you please let me know, i am a noob at this BB thing... Basically im about to install Opera for the Pearl, and maybe that will fix it, but the phone says somthing about books? is that something ONLY the service provider (AT&T) can send me? or is there a back door way to just get them so you can connect to your own service??? Please help me

Sleepless in Seattle....

Jason
    that is why you do not have the browser to work. You will need to get the small (I think like 4mb) plan or the unlimited plan. They do not have a pay-as-you-go plan for BB's

Turn wireless on/off is the entire phone - think of it as flight-mode in other PDA's.
    you whiped your OS? ok sorry just had to joke about that one... I understand you meant wipe.

but no you will not be able to use your wireless router/personal ISP. The pearl does not have wifi (wireless refers to cellular services not wireless internet like computers refer to it as).

what is it saying about books?? Also about the data connection refused - you can just turn off the data portion of the BB so you do not get that message in the future. Go to Options / Mobile Network / Data Service: turn to OFF
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.