Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well now that I have this phone and am paying for my BIS plan, can ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

spankey no está en línea Stack level 1

Can the pearl be used as a modem for laptops?

Advertisement

Well now that I have this phone and am paying for my BIS plan, can the blackberry be used as a modem via usb while on the road?

Obviously if you are in a hot spot the wi-fi would be better.

Is there a program I need to install to take advantage of this option if so.

Thanks
    Spankey

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

Re: Can the pearl be used as a modem for laptops?

steveh552 no está en línea Stack level 1

I am posting that way now, it is tethered via USB to my laptop and verizon wireless.

Yogich no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Your service provider would doubtless be happy to talk you through it. I know mine was.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

Task 1

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later on the computer.

When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that allow the BlackBerry device to communicate through the Universal Serial Bus (USB) port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.

Note: If upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process. If this is the case, re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later and choose the Repair option to re-install these components.

Task 2

Set up an Internet APN.

1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
    4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
    5. Click on Change Settings.
    6. In the Standard Modem Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
    7. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>"

Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile customers only:

The Extra initialization command is: +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your service provider.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.

Task 3

To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that is appropriate to the operating system you are using:

Windows Vista

Go to Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Phone and Modem Options

If opening Phone and Modem Options for the first time, a dialog box displays prompting you to enter an area code and access codes.

Windows XP operating system

1. Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    5. Select Set up my connection manually. Click Next.
    6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    9. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    11. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    12. Click Finish.
    13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.

Windows 2000 operating system

1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.

Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile customers only:

Under the networking tab in the properties window for the dial-up connection, Enable LCP Extensions must be unchecked, as well as every other box beneath the PPP window.

1. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
    2. Click Next.
    3. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
    4. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
    5. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    6. Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
    7. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    8. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem is selected, then click Configure.
    9. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
    10. In the Properties window, click OK.

Task 4

After creating the dial-up network connection, open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and select Connection Settings from the Options menu. Instead of selecting USB-PIN, select the COM port (COM3 for example). Check Enable USB-to-serial converter compatibility.

Important: Do not click on Detect. Click OK instead. BlackBerry Desktop Manager shows disconnected. You should now be able to connect successfully.

Note: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.

If Microsoft Outlook® is not operating in cache mode, you might receive a message indicating that BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot contact the messaging server. If this message appears, click Cancel to proceed.

Task 5

Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry® Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.

1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer.
    2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
    4. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider.
    5. Click Dial.

enjoy

Magellan,

You are simply AWESOME! I did exactly what you described and sure enough I am online right now using my blackberry. Now I need to call Cingular and make sure I am NOT being charged for doing this. I purchased the BIS so I would think as he stated its unlimited data and such. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again,

Spankey!

Wow I actually used it for about two minutes to reply to this thread. I then disconnected it and called cingular to make sure my standard plan covered this. Turns out it didn't! Instead of paying $29.99 for BIS I would now have to pay $79 for everything. Thanks but no thanks. Oh well guess I will be checking my email on my phone! LOL...

THanks again though!

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3

^yea it was a bad idea to call them and ask them about it. although its better than them finding out and just adding the tethering plan to your account for $80 without telling you.

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

I was actually never able to get this to work on my Pearl... perhaps I was just doing something wrong.
    /~*brooke

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

Brooke,
    Where was your problem? I got it to work for on a pearl and an 8800

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

Well I have a Curve now... but I the problem I had was in dialing.. I tried tons of different numbers, but every time the phone would dial, it would make the dial-up noises and then just keep making this awful squealing sound. Never connected. I gave up.
    /~*brooke

Well the thing that really ticks me is I am finding that T-Mobile customers are paying something like $19.99 for their BIS plan and they can tether. Cingular wants like $60 to be able to tether and I think that is PURE HIGHWAY ROBERY! Its actually quite sad. The plans resemble eachother as far as minutes and service areas, but the cost of the add ons are cheaper and apear to cover allot more options vs cingular!

What gives. I have time to return this phone and might clearly switch to TMO!

Ranting I guess, sorry. But funny thing is even the cingular person when I called even almost crapped when she seen the price difference on all the Blackberry plans. She said "Whew that sure is allot of money"! I said yeah tell me about it. In order to use the phone for internet (my razr was $19.99) it costs me $29.99 and to tether it will cost me double!

OH well. Live and learn.
    Spankey

keith1316 no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~thats a bunch of crap! I could tether 4free using my 3125!

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Quote Originally Posted by keith1316 View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~thats a bunch of crap! I could tether 4free using my 3125!
    Actually, under official policy from Cingular, if you are tethering with any device and do not have the tethering plan, you take the chance of being charged for laptop tethering. I asked them about it with my Treo 650 which uses the same data plan as the 3125. You may have gotten lucky as some others on here have stated about their tethering their BB's on cingular and not paying extra for it yet.

Zo

dipenpatel no está en línea Stack level 1

hey i have a laptop with vista
    so can anyone tell me
    hw to configuar my laptop with my bb pearl for internet i have bis,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast