I have ATT and a Blackberry Pearl, Im looking to save money since I am ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

TheChemist187 no está en línea Stack level 1

Can I get MEdia Max Unlimited instead of a BB plan?

Advertisement

I have ATT and a Blackberry Pearl, Im looking to save money since I am a student with a part time job. I don't need emails, or any other blackberry services, and I can just use google maps. I also text a lot so im thinking can I get the MeDia Max Unlimited plan which gives me Unlimited Data, and Messaging for only 35.00/Month. Or do I have to get the BB plan for 35.00 & Messaging unlimited for 20.00 and Pay 55.00Month?

I currently do not have any BB or Data plans but I can still use the web they just charge me by the KB.

Would it work if I changed the settings on the BB from ISP to WAP?

iridemybike no está en línea Stack Professional

Re: Can I get MEdia Max Unlimited instead of a BB plan?

No, you won't be able to do that. It's going to require the BB data plan. If you try and use a Media Max plan the system will catch it(they sweep accounts about every 3 months or so) and if they find you using a BB on a media Max plan they will just change it to a bb plan without telling you and the charges will be reflected on your bill. I've seen it happen to people before, they got some pretty steep bills out of it.

Tucker

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

you dont want to use the web without a plan ive seen people with some crazy bills for that

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3

i have the unlimited BB plan with 1500 text messages a month for only 39.99. i dont think they offer that plan anymore though.

Timo529 no está en línea Stack level 2

That's the same plan I have and I thought it was high myself but I am to dependent on the internet and texts not to have it~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

iridemybike no está en línea Stack Professional

Yes, the bb plan w/ 1500 texts for $39.99 is indeed gone now. The only way to get that package is with 2 separate packages and it comes to $45 now.

Tucker

tyayo14020 no está en línea Stack level 2
    i have a plans that's $49.99 now i got in december eith unlimited text and bb

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T
    why buy a blackberry if you're not going to use its functions?

buckwild480 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2440c0aa
    There are ways to avoid being caught, and of course ways to still use everything w/o the BB Service through 3rd party apps, but as anfrey said, why? Would you buy a Mercedes, and ask for a Ford engine? You can still get from point A to B, but $50 a month,Or $1.70/day, is probably not worth the hassle, buy 1 less starbucks a week, and you almost have it covered...
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Optimus no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by anfrey View Post
    because you got a very good deal for it? and why pay extra for internet access when you're mainly at work and have free access there and at home?...i think blackberrys are mostly for business people, that need to be connected to their job and everything else all the time. but for people that just need a phone and not much else there is no need for a data plan unless you're company is paying for it.
    Last edited by Optimus; 03-11-2008 at 02:54 AM.

TheChemist187 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Why buy a Mercedes with a ford engine?

Well what can the bb do exactly besides email and web?

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    because you got a very good deal for it? and why pay extra for internet access when you're mainly at work and have free access there and at home?...i think blackberrys are mostly for business people, that need to be connected to their job and everything else all the time. but for people that just need a phone and not much else there is no need for a data plan unless you're company is paying for it.
    So even if it something you are barely going to use and you could get another phone instead probably for free for the functions you are going to use it for; you still go for a blackberry? That doesn't make a lot of sense. It's like getting a gaming PC and using it just to type letters, what a waste.

And yes Blackberries were primarily made for business people to stay connected. if you don't want email or a decent web program on your phone go buy a razr, unless your are just one of those people that has to have what other people get.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    The "Why buy it?" arguments pop up a lot.

You can get a refurb Pearl or Curve from some companies for less than a new "whatever" phone in some cases.

They're better looking devices than a lot of the other phones out there, IMO, so I would guess there are others that think the same way. Add to it that as a phone and PDA, its pretty solid, without a data plan, I can understand why some people don't bother to activate a data plan based on their own personal needs.

I was reluctant to activate my data plan when I first got a BB, for the cost, like others have mentioned. Now, 1 year later, I can't imagine being without it.

To the OP's question, no, its not possible. Yes, you could possibly get away with it for a while, but at some point it will get switched over to a BB plan or turned off.

Another alternative, if you have T-Mo in your area (assuming this is an alternative for you) would be to pick up the 8320 with WiFi. Then you'd have a data plan any time you're in a hotspot. You wouldn't have push email, but it doesn't sound like you're too worried about that anyway.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Optimus no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin View Post
    So even if it something you are barely going to use and you could get another phone instead probably for free for the functions you are going to use it for; you still go for a blackberry? That doesn't make a lot of sense. It's like getting a gaming PC and using it just to type letters, what a waste.

And yes Blackberries were primarily made for business people to stay connected. if you don't want email or a decent web program on your phone go buy a razr, unless your are just one of those people that has to have what other people get.
    i guess you can call it a waste; but so are people that buy a ferrari or lamborgini and only drive 40 miles an hour. me being a t-mobile customer for over 9 years i got a good deal on it and wanted to see what all the fuss was about since my other regular phones kept malfunctioning...the most useful thing i found for it was integrating my yahoo calendar when i connect it to my pc....the drawback is that it doesn't have video capture like most regular phones but i've learned to live without it....considering i can get online at work with much faster pc's and at home, i don't have the need for a data plan....i may eventually due to some softwares that require it, but right now i don't have the need.

penk no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by anfrey View Post
    while i will always recommend complete and "true" 'berry use by subscribing to your carrier's BB services, the hardware itself is attractive and the basic features compare or exceed to those of most handsets.

in a nutshell: non-flip/non-slider form with a large screen and a 1+ MP camera is difficult to come by, and the PIM synchronization with Outlook is cleaner than most others.