i took some pics last night for my little neice's 3rd birthday. when i uploaded ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

chrisyi1 no está en línea Stack level 1

camera picture problems

Advertisement

i took some pics last night for my little neice's 3rd birthday. when i uploaded them, theyre really choppy. heavily pixelated and you can barely make out the picture. i have settings on :

flash : automatic
    white balance : automatic
    picture size : large
    picture quality : super fine

but they came out terrible. anyone have this same problem?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: camera picture problems

Move your size down to medium.

Also, what zoom level were you at? The more the zoom level, the more pixilated it's going to get.

From what I have found, 5X is pretty much worthless.

3x isn't too bad as long as you have your hand very steady.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by chrisyi1
    i took some pics last night for my little neice's 3rd birthday. when i uploaded them, theyre really choppy. heavily pixelated and you can barely make out the picture. i have settings on :

flash : automatic
    white balance : automatic
    picture size : large
    picture quality : super fine

but they came out terrible. anyone have this same problem?
    See this thread for pics that have been taken.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...our_pearl.html

1. Understand that the camera on the Pearl is good under certain conditions [outdoors, not overcast, etc.]

2. Remember it is a cell phone first, with a camera "tossed in." With this in mind, the Pearl camera is excellent.

3. The camera will NOT take pics as good as your standalone digital camera.

4. The settings on the camera are NOT sophisticated. For example, it has a digital zoom which is worthless. Many digital cameras have optical zoom with the option of invoking higher digital zooms. But in any camera, including the Pearl, digital zoom is useless because all the camera is doing is enlarging or zooming in on the picture, not the subject or scene [which is done with optics]. Look at your computer monitor with a magnifying glass. That is a form of "digital" zoom. Now simply put your eyes closer to the screen. That is optical zoom.

5. Even with all settings on "high," indoors one would have to hold the Pearl rock solid steady so to not blur the pic, etc.

6. The camera's pics, regardless of lighting, will always have a washed out or "faded" look. Not horrible, but definitely noticeable. But any photo editor can adjust "saturation" which means to make the colors brighter and richer.

Bonus Tip: Make sure your camera lens area is clean and free of any obstructions.

Bonus Tip: I would NOT take this camera to any event where I might be taking pictures. I would take one of my high end digital cameras. E.g., if I knew I was going to a niece's b-day party, I'd plan to take a better camera. The Pearl is excellent for taking unanticipated pics.

Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-13-2006 at 04:35 PM.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    The pearl is great for sending phone to phone pictures, but when putting on my 19" monitor, I agree, it's not the best

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

By the way

The "before" pic of the Highway Patrol car is a good example of how the Pearl's pics, even in ideal circumstances, produces washed out or "faded" pics, in terms of color.

In the edited pic I simply increased saturation, meaning I increased the intensity of the color. That process [making the pic more colorful, so to speak] took about 10 seconds with my photo editing program.
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-13-2006 at 07:06 PM.

kymbalee no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Re: camera picture problems

I just got my 8100 and I'm very disappointed in the camera. I realize it is just a phone cam, but my 3 year old Motorola v300 took pics 50 times better than this. The pictures come out very grainy and distorted no matter what settings I use. I have been to the thread where pics taken with the 8100 are posted, and my phone doesn't take pictures even close to those... even the unedited ones. I guess I got a lemon, I think I'm just going to send it back. Also, the phone doesn't seem to want to charge with the USB cable. This is so frustrating!

pharmguyd no está en línea Stack level 1

Question No picture with camera

I've searched a few threads and haven't been able to find an answer. I just updated to OS 4.5.0.81 on my 8310 because when I took a picture and tried to view it all I saw was a red "X" in the top left part of the screen. I am still having this issue after updating the OS. It is pretty cool now that the video record feature is working. Any help on the pictures would be greatly appreciated.

pharmguy