Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I noticed that my camera lens is way off-centered and does not line up with ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

Camera lens is crooked...warranty issue?

Advertisement

I noticed that my camera lens is way off-centered and does not line up with the hole in the battery cover. When I opened up the battery cover, I noticed that the misalignment is actually behind the clear lens cover, and even the lens hole itself is not centered (the hole for the camera lens was not drilled on-center).

Now, as an engineer, I understand there are tolerances for things like this. But this is EXTREME enough that I can notice it just by looking at it. It does not affect the camera operation considering there's not viewfinder to align with, but still, it looks like crap.

I know that when I buy a car, if the bumper is on crooked enough for me to notice, they'll fix it (or attempt to fix it) under warranty, even if there's nothing functionally wrong with it. Is this covered under the blackberry warranty? I've only had it for 2 days.

And since I bought it through an internet dealer, should I go back to them or go to a T-mobile store.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Camera lens is crooked...warranty issue?

I would contact your dealer and ask them for a replacement if you only had it for 2 days
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

Contact the place where you got it!

If not you have a manufacturers warranty for one year.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i contacted the dealer. They told me "that's how they are made" but I should try to contact tmobile.

Sorry that your car blew up because a defect in our manufacturing, sir...but that's how they're made.

What a bull answer.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Yup, that's a nice QA department issue... Now, just wondering, made in Canada, or Mexico? I would call, and raise your voice, that always works!
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

I would get it exchanged ASAP, certainly within the time you have to undo the deal.

Not sure, but I think that the phone may or may not be exchanged with the vendor who sold it to you. But call them and ask. It may be something you do with RIM? I don't think it is on T-Mo's back since you did not buy the phone from them.

Also, check all the materials that came with the phone. Is there something that says you can send the phone back to the vendor and cancel the deal? Or maybe it says to make an exchange?

Just call the vendor and ask what to do. I pretty sure they will simply say to send it back to them and they will send a new one. They will then send the phone back to whomever supplied them with it.

Make sure to tell them the phone is defective. Tell them it takes "crooked" pics. You do not want them to shrug you off because they think you are just be anal.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeeno
    I noticed that my camera lens is way off-centered and does not line up with the hole in the battery cover. When I opened up the battery cover, I noticed that the misalignment is actually behind the clear lens cover, and even the lens hole itself is not centered (the hole for the camera lens was not drilled on-center).

Now, as an engineer, I understand there are tolerances for things like this. But this is EXTREME enough that I can notice it just by looking at it. It does not affect the camera operation considering there's not viewfinder to align with, but still, it looks like crap.

I know that when I buy a car, if the bumper is on crooked enough for me to notice, they'll fix it (or attempt to fix it) under warranty, even if there's nothing functionally wrong with it. Is this covered under the blackberry warranty? I've only had it for 2 days.

And since I bought it through an internet dealer, should I go back to them or go to a T-mobile store.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i contacted the dealer. They told me "that's how they are made" but I should try to contact tmobile.

Sorry that your car blew up because a defect in our manufacturing, sir...but that's how they're made.

What a bull answer.
    They probably think you are being anal or picky about the phone. They think you are a "looking it over with a jeweler's loupe" type of person.

Guess my post was too late. Did you give them your name and number? If not, call them back and tell them it takes off center pics or the pics are off because the camera is off center.

Check all your paperwork too. Report back here what it all says. Usually they have something in there about returns.

Lastly, take some closeups of the area so we can see what you are talking about.

Here is my lens area, so you can compare.

yeah, my camera lens looks nothing like that. I'll take pics once i get home.

BTW, my phone was Hecho en Mexico.

I called T-mo, they said go to the dealer. I called the dealer's 800 number and it says they are closed and to call back during normal business hours, 8am-10pm, Mon-Fri. Uh, I called them today (Friday) at 5:30pm and last time I looked, 5:30pm is between 8am and 10pm.

Here are pics of my crooked lens. Its obvious in the first pic that the lens is not lined up with the hole in the cover...and that's why I took a wider shot, so you can see that the picture was taken with everything flat and it is the lens being crooked and not an optical illusion.

The 2nd pic, you can tell there is more empty space on the right side than there is on the left side of the part that the lens is mounted in. Further, you can see the lens itself is mounted to the upper-right of the lens holder (hole for lens was drilled off-center).

SuzzyP no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Um, i would be the first one in the front door tomorrow if i were you.... and dont even let them think of trying to tell you there is nothing they can do for you..... Dont leave that store without a new Pearl.
    SP[B]
    Sportin a kBerry Curve

I wish I could do that. They are an internet dealer, so everything is throug hemail and phone calls.

I guess it's the inconvenience you pay as tradeoff for a good deal on the phone.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i got an email from the dealer. The phone number on the sheet they sent is wrong. I sent him a pic of it too and to contact me so we can resolve the issue.

Considering I can still cancel and return the phone within 14 days at no charge its in his best interest to resolve this with me by sending a new replacement.

Tmo said they can do it if the dealer doesn't, but they would replace it with a refurb, which they said would not be fair considering I've only had the phone for 3 days.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Yeah... it looks off center. Good to have taken a pic so we could see what you meant.

So I assume that you looked in the materials sent and found something that said you could cancel?

I have no doubt the phone will be replaced since you can send it back no questions asked anyway. Someone will do the exchange since if they don't they will lose a T-Mo customer [which is the main point of selling the phone, T-Mo and the vendor don't make money on the physical phone sale].

Lucky you jumped right on this.

P.s. Weird how the placement of that indentation creates the optical illusion that you took the pic in an angle. Freakin me out.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i got an email from the dealer. The phone number on the sheet they sent is wrong. I sent him a pic of it too and to contact me so we can resolve the issue.

Considering I can still cancel and return the phone within 14 days at no charge its in his best interest to resolve this with me by sending a new replacement.

Tmo said they can do it if the dealer doesn't, but they would replace it with a refurb, which they said would not be fair considering I've only had the phone for 3 days.

I'll keep everyone updated.

yeah, the flash makes it look slightly at an angle, and it took a lot of shots to get it just right. It was with a 7mp camera and I was actually about 2 feet from the phone without using zoom, and cropped it right around the silvery part in the first pic.

I know that Cingular offered a 30-day "remorse" period where you can return the phone and cancel service without any charges as long as the phone is in sellable condition.

I have a 14-day "remorse" period with this deal, but even then, it's not technically a remorse problem at all but a warranty issue.

I am hoping they will send me a new one and I can wait until I receive it to send them the old one back, considering I don't have a phone to use otherwise. Worse comes to worse, I can live with it this way, but I'm sure I can talk T-mobile into getting me a new one if the dealer doesn't resolve this with me.

They don't lose anythig anyway, I'm sure they just send it back to Blackberry for a replacement of their stock under warranty.

Update:

contacted the dealer. They wantd me to send the phone back and when they receive it, they will send a new phone to me. I told him that was a no-go since i would not have a phone. He wanted me to go to t-mo and get a loaner.

I told him that is too inconvenient..to go to t-mo, get a loaner, then have to return the loaner when i get the new phone.

So he agreed that he will send me a new phone and i will send back the old one. But he will charge me full price of the a phone if he does not receive the old one back (that's having faith in your customers ). He said he will ship it out today.

we'll see what happens. Hopefully i receive it and the camera lens is straight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast