Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I looked around here but did not see this, if it has been posted before ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Calendar Bug in 4.3 OS

Advertisement

I looked around here but did not see this, if it has been posted before then my bad. But here is my problem and fix.

I have the 8130 which comes with 4.3 OS and use it on the VZW BIS for personal emails and such. I sync with my laptop for my work calendar and contacts though (Lotus Notes version 7 but calendar app does not matter). After a week of using the BB I added a some calendar entries into Lotus and then sync'ed the BB to get them on there but nothing sync'ed on the calendar. Dismayed I check all my settings and even reset DM sync settings and readded. Nothing worked. I contacted VZW but since the 8130 is so new they don't know much about it so I was transfered to RIM.

After more than an hour of trying different things and never getting the calendar to sync (everything else does fine) we found that with the 4.3 OS it creates a calendar service book for each BIS email address (we know that, it has a multiple calendar thing) but that it does not create a default calendar for DM syncing. Since no default calendar is created there is nothing for the DM to sync with.

The fix was to go into the service books and delete all the CICAL service books for each email address. There is one per address. After doing that we reset and readded the sync configuration in DM. On the next sync it creates the default calendar and it will now sync with DM.

My recommendation is to get rid of the calendar for each email address. Why would I want to have appt's on 4 different calendars? I have enough trouble doing everything in my one calendar!

But anyways, if you have the same issue that is the fix and if you resend the service books to your BB then you must again delete the CICAL service books for each email address so that sync works. RIM is aware of this issue and are tring to find a fix but this was their work around for now.

Anyone else run into this?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Calendar Bug in 4.3 OS

Thanks for the write up. This sounds a lot like one of the calendar problems that RIM had with the 8300 and the 8830. Not exactly but very similar. They eventually had a patch out to correct it.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Anytime.

I did try resending the service books and sure enough it messed it up. Had to repeat what I did. So do not resend the service books if this happens.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by doughdaddy View Post
    ...The fix was to go into the service books and delete all the CICAL service books for each email address. There is one per address. After doing that we reset and readded the sync configuration in DM. On the next sync it creates the default calendar and it will now sync with DM.

My recommendation is to get rid of the calendar for each email address. Why would I want to have appt's on 4 different calendars? I have enough trouble doing everything in my one calendar! ....
    I haven't tried this yet, but thanks for the notice. It's my understanding that the different CICAL entries are not different calendars, but just allow all the different email addresses to receive calendar event invites.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

The CICAL service books allow multiple entries into the BB calendar from each account. They can be color coded differently so you can easily tell them apart. The only problem is that there is no one CICAL for the default DM calendar. So when the service books are active, it takes away the sync of the calendar app.

Removing the email CICAL allows the DM sync to create a default.

miro no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3179D82A

I just did the delete and it works fine now. What a pain.

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Doughdaddy, how do you color code the calendar events?

Quote Originally Posted by ma077146 View Post
    Doughdaddy, how do you color code the calendar events?
    If you have not deleted the CICAL services books from the BB yet, then go to options in the calendar app, you will seean email address for each and a color next to each. Choose the account to change and choose the color for it. This will associate a different color for each event based on the email account it is associated with.

If you followed my directions above in order to sync your DM calendar app with the BB, then there will only be one choice in the options. It will either be default or just one email address. You can change that color also but it will affect all events in the calendar.

stuart B no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256c5822
    Thanks I will try that. So if I'm right there is no way that I can save multi calendar on my dm or even via backup. Its a shame because the diff colours worked well for me.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Correct. You can only sync one default calendar with DM. Hopefully they will make changes in a future OS releases that allow all BB calendars to sync with one default DM calendar.

miro no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3179D82A
    Does anyone know if the newer OS's have resolved this issue. I don;t think they have but it would be nice to confirm. thanks

colinjones no está en línea Stack level 1
    Had the same with my 8100 after upgrading to 4.5 on BB and 4.3 DM.

Thanks a lot for this info - it has been bugging me all week!

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I will concur that this problem is still alive and well in the 4.5 OS release not only on my 8100 but also on my 8310.

Deleting the CICAL entries works very well for me. Solved everything!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

tbhuang2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am using 4.3 and I have this problem too... what happened to me is kind of a long story. I have my BB calendar synced OTA with the Funambol plug-in. Everything's been syncing fine. Then one day I decided to change my Gmail integration from POP to IMAP. Ever since then, any new calendar entries do not get synced.

Here's the weird part: when I go to Calendar Options, only my one email address is apparent in the list and I changed the color from blue to none. When I looked at my calendar again, all of the entries made before the IMAP switch are still in blue, and my new ones have no color! I looked at my Funambol calendar. Surely enough, only the blue appointments are getting synced.

So I tried the deleting the CICAL service book for my email address. After deleting that, my BB almost freezes when trying to open my Calendar. Once it opens, it looks the same. I go to Calendar Options > my email address, and it says I have zero entries. I resent the service books via BIS site, and it's still the same as before I deleted the service book... old entries are still blue, new ones are still clear. Under Calendar Options it counts the number of clear ones, and doesn't count the blue (old) ones!

Bottom line: any appointments newer than the time of the IMAP switch do not get synced! Any ideas??? I am so confused...
    Last edited by tbhuang2; 06-23-2008 at 03:05 PM.

rja
    rja no está en línea Stack level 1

Calendar bug

Doughdaddy

I am experiencing this exact concern & wanted to apply your fix but, I'm new at this & want to make sure I delete the correct CICAL service books.

Are you referring to the e-mail addresses found under Options - Advances, Default Services? If not, where would I find the service books you are referring to?

If it make any difference, I'm using a 8130 on version 4.3.0.66 (had too many problems with 4.5 that I went back to 4.3).

Great post btw. Once I learn all of the Blackberry terminology & slang, I won't have to ask questions that appear simple or stupid to you experienced users. I've been able to fix most of my problems with suggestions from you guys. Once again, hats off to you guys & gals (can't forget the gals to).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast