Hi guys! I’m an Italian student that is here in the US for improve his ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

biondopazzo no está en línea Stack level 1

Buy BlackBerry and go back to Italy???

Advertisement

Hi guys!
    I’m an Italian student that is here in the US for improve his english.
    I want to buy a BlackBerry Pearl but I still have a lot of question about that phone.. So I hope that you can help me =)
    1- I’m going to stay here just until march. So I want to know if I will have problem to use my BlackBerry in Italy? I want to buy it here because is cheaper and also because we don’t have the version 8130 in Italy (we have the 8120).
    2- I would know if is possible buy a BlackBerry without a plan. I don’t need a contract because I will go back to my country soon.
    3- I think that the only difference between the model 8110 and 8130 is the connection, isn’t it? But I’m wondering if the difference is really relevant or not, I mean if the 8130 is really faster than the 8110.
    4- Where is the best and cheapest place to buy it?
    5- Do you any suggestion about my decision? Do you think will be better buy it in italy laso if will cost a lot more and we don’t have the 8130 version but just the 8110 or 8120?

Thank you for your answer..
    Andrea

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Buy BlackBerry and go back to Italy???

Your BB will recuire the possibility to use SIM cards. that elimiates some phones. (i'm guessing you in italy uses sim cards in all phones)

Regarding the contract, I really cant answer that.. there are so many things in US.. but from experience in norway. As long as the phone is not operator locked (you can get unlock codes tho) and you dont tie yourself to a carrier, this should go.

I dont think there is any speed difference on the phones.
    8130 got wlan / GPS right? , but 8110 and 8120 only got GPS or WLAN?

But do 8130 have a SIM card.. I've heard some talk that it dont.. but they dont sell them here.. so I dont know..
    Without it.. your kinda helpless in Italy and trying to insert your own simcard.. ;p

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3

The 8130 is a CDMA device which may be specific to America. I think for Italy you need and EDGE/GPRS/GSM device, wireless should be ok too I think.

Yes, it is important that you buy an UNLOCKED device that way you can use any Italian SIM card you wish to.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

1)

8100-Sim Card-EDGE-GSM Carriers
    8110-Sim Card-Not Sure
    8120-Not Available in US yet (within 2 weeks MAYBE)-EDGE-GSM Carrier
    8130-No Sim Card-CDMA

2) Regarding a BB without data. You can do this: Buy the BB with data package, unlock it, use data in US. Then remove BB Data, go back to your country and switch to whatever data is available there.

3) Read my comparison in #1.

4) Amazon.com or your particular carrier if you sign a 2 yr contract.

5) Honestly, this would be the better choice so you don't have to wait to have it unlocked (acquiring this code usually takes a few days after telling the carrier you need to unlock for travelling purposes. Also you would have to be a customer in good standing for 90 days.

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3

But why would she want a 2 year contract to an American carrier. This American carrier is not available in Italy. She is going home in March

Best to buy the device in America then take it home and get the plan she needs there.

biondopazzo no está en línea Stack level 1

Ok.. I'll explain better my situation so we'll not get confused!
    I'll stay here until may.. I will go back just one week in april to take an exam for the university.
    So until the end of may I'll be in the US!

So as Erica suggest maybe I can take this model: 8120-Not Available in US yet (within 2 weeks MAYBE)-EDGE-GSM Carrier

I can wait a little bit to that model.
    I have already a sim card with T-mobile that I use with a pre-paid phone. I hope it will be possible use it here with my new BB.. And when I will go in Italy also with my sim card (Wind).

Sorry for my ignorance but I don't understand how can I unlock the BB so I will be able to use my sim card (Wind) in Italy. Can you explain it better please?

chico66 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2055C970

our situations are kinda reversed as i am planning a spring trip to italy,etc.and am wondering about bb use there.check out gsmphonesource.com.cheers.