Ok first off I have a Moto H700 that the following method works with. Results ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bbriand no está en línea Stack level 3

BT Headset 4 Music Alternative

Advertisement

Ok first off I have a Moto H700 that the following method works with. Results may be different with other headsets.

1. Add a contact called "Me" in the address book with your phone number.
    2. Open the H700 boom and ensure headset is connected to phone
    3. Start playing my folder of MP3s
    4. Call the Me Contact

This is the tricky part as it requires weird timing. Right after it starts dialing the call hold the H700s answer call button in and keep holding it (maybe like a second after hitting the dial button). I don't know if all BT Headsets have the same button as the H700 but basically its the button that initiates a voice dial, incoming call answer, hang-up, etc button.

If it works you get a message stating "!The operation failed" do NOT press the OK button. If you get anything else, like "Call Failed" then keep dialing the number and playing with the timing of holding the button in. It is a very short interval (no more than a second)

If you got the "!The operation failed" first try congratz and continue reading, if not keep trying. now use the Alt and Esc keys to switch to the Media application. The music is paused so click the Play button. Viola its coming through your headset.

Interesting thing to note is if you receive a call while doing this method you can answer with the button on the headset and you continue to hear the music while conversing with the caller. I tested this myself with my own landline and it appeared to work. Need someone in another room on the landline or from another location to really confirm if this works.

Again play with the timing after hitting the dial button. What I did for practice was hit the dial button and immediately press and hold the headsets button. Next time I hit the dial button and quick nod my head and press and hold button... well you get the idea. Gradually increase the delay by fractions of 1 second until you find that sweet spot.

Enjoy,
    Bill

[EDIT]
    P.S. I should note that I do not have voice mail on my phone. I don't think this would make a difference but I doubt it.
    [/EDIT]
    Last edited by bbriand; 01-26-2007 at 09:14 AM.

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: BT Headset 4 Music Alternative

Great job Bill,
    Can you browse through everything else on the Pearl with this method? I will have to try it.

Thanks,
    GP

Quote Originally Posted by GotPearl?
    Great job Bill,
    Can you browse through everything else on the Pearl with this method? I will have to try it.

Thanks,
    GP
    I think as long as you had an application open you'd be able to switch to it and do whatever (not tested yet though).

If you did the following trick I posted you could listen to music and browse your memory and media card:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...d_explore.html

I do know that if you hit the red hang-up button while in media player it will switch back to the phone and disconnect the headset. Not sure if this takes time up so you might want to check your timers and maybe only use this method after 6/8pm if you have unlimited hours after a certain time.

Let me know if you get it working.

Bill

Unplug no está en línea Stack level 2

kk...i keep getting called failed, and then music starts to play.
    but then after a couple seconds it stops.

if i were to get operation failed. would it continue to play??

Quote Originally Posted by Unplug
    kk...i keep getting called failed, and then music starts to play.
    but then after a couple seconds it stops.

if i were to get operation failed. would it continue to play??
    When you get the "operation failed" message there will be an OK button. Do NOT press the button. Using the ALT-ESC key method switch to media player and the music is paused. If you click the Play button it will play through your headset.

Dial in a number, Originally I used mine as it would disconnect rather quickly. I also just tried it with 555-5555.

Hit the Green call button
    wait around one second
    press and hold the BT Headsets button

I should note that I am using the latest Rogers release.

Bill

Wait, so every time you do this it is useing you minutes?

GP

As far as I can tell as long as the number you call is out of service or like my phone, with no voice mail, my call time counters do not increase.

Like I mentioned in my 2nd post (the 3rd post in this thread) just be aware of it and if you're worried and have an unlimited plan between certain hours try it then.

Bill

I have like 3,000 rollover minutes becuase my parents like never use their minutes. I can't get the timing right i have the moto 850. It also has the button.

GP

hmm..i styll cant get "operation failed" i keep getting call failed.

What OS do you have installed? I have the latest Rogers one.

Ok I just tried again. Once I hit dial it goes into a mainly white screen and up in the top right corner two blue arrows appear indicating the phone is connecting (I suppose). Anyhow once I see the first one appear the second appears almost immediately afterwards. Press, and HOLD, the button as soon as the first arrow appears.

Sorry I cannot be more precise. I'm installing the JDE tomorrow so hopefully it will be usefull and let me manipulate bluetooth connections and this will all be a thing of the past

Bill

JDE??? and are u activating voice dial? caus i just gotta press the buttom to activate it...version:3.8.4.28

I am going to install RIMs JAVA Development Environment and knock off the rust for a bit and HOPEFULLY find a way to get the pearl to do things I want it to do. I won't know if its possible until I really start looking into the APIs.

Yes the button that initiates a voice dial call is the one I'm talking about. You don't even need to be playing music before you start this method. So manually dial a number by typing it in and hitting the green call button. It goes to a white screen, you hear you BT headset connect, you see arrows up in the top right hand corner of the display appear - Now hit that button and hold it in until it say Operation Failed (that button being the one that initiates the voice dialing and make sure you hold it in).

If you get call failed the timing is a bit off so try again. Hold the button just b4 the arrows appear, then try just as the 2nd one appears, just after the second one appears, just after you hear your headset connect to take over the number dialed.

There is a sweet spot, at least for my moto h700 and Rogers OS that I can get to say Openration Failed almost everytime on the first attempt now.

Bill

flyingfung no está en línea Stack level 1

you are definitely my hero.
    i thank you from the bottom of my eardrums.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfung
    you are definitely my hero.
    i thank you from the bottom of my eardrums.
    Were you able to get my method to work?

Bill