So today I deleted a game that I didn't want anymore. My phone prompted me ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

blufaerybeauty no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23FB410D

Browser/MMS messages on Cingular without BIS

Advertisement

So today I deleted a game that I didn't want anymore. My phone prompted me to restart, so I did. When the phone loads back up, low and behold I have now I access to Media Net browser AND can send and recieve MMS messages. I do NOT have BIS, all I have is a small data plan so I can browse on Opera Mini without paying per use. Anyone else without BIS on Cingular have this happen to them today? I am NOT by any means complaining, I'm just hoping this isn't something that's gonna go away after today.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Re: Browser/MMS messages on Cingular without BIS

As far as I thought, BIS was just the Blackberry Internet Server....and if I am thnking correctly, then it means that youdo have the internet which in turn means that you would be able to use the media net and the MMS options.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

blufaerybeauty no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23FB410D

Well, I don't have a Blackberry data plan. Before today I couldn't send MMS messages or use media net. I know that T-mobile still allowed you to send MMS messages without a blackberry data plan, but Cingular didn't.

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

i'd say call at&t and find out for sure... but on second thought, that may not be such a good idea

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

It is possible to use the non-blackberry data plans with AT&T (medianet packages). However, you won't have BIS access. It will let you use MMS. If you have Opera Mini on your phone you can browse internet. The only thing I am aware of that gives problems (based on feedback in the AT&T forums) is that WAP sites don't cooperate very well. Basically any site that Opera wouldn't like you'd have issues with. The only OTA you would be able to do would be thru the MEdianet Mall.

Its a 1/3 to 1/2 data plan, thats about it.

PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

might as well jump ship to t-mobile... $19.99/mo for bis unlimited data

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Depends on what area you are in. T-Mo in my area has virtually no coverage.

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99

TMO has very odd coverage in a lot of areas, hence why ATT has a lot of subscribers. But you just need some kind of data to use MMS and media net stuff, but you might rack up a high bill if you use the internet much.

PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

Quote Originally Posted by Naylor07
    TMO has very odd coverage in a lot of areas, hence why ATT has a lot of subscribers. But you just need some kind of data to use MMS and media net stuff, but you might rack up a high bill if you use the internet much.
    i thought all us carriers offered unlimited data

ssblake25 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Browser/MMS messages on Cingular without BIS

I have had many conversations with ATT regarding the MMS issue after activiating my wife's BB Pearl a few days ago. I inquired about the "feature enabler" that TMO has, and they told me I was SOL without a BBI plan. Do you have a standard messaging plan, or are you strictly pay-per-use for your messaging?
    What game did you delete?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You need some sort of data plan for MMS on a BB. The only difference between a BB data plan and a standard data plan is that the BB data plans grant access to the BB APN which is required for push email, PIN messaging, browser push, MDS, BES, BIS, etc etc.

You don't need the BB APN for MMS but you do need data.

ssblake25 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    You need some sort of data plan for MMS on a BB. The only difference between a BB data plan and a standard data plan is that the BB data plans grant access to the BB APN which is required for push email, PIN messaging, browser push, MDS, BES, BIS, etc etc.

You don't need the BB APN for MMS but you do need data.
    takeshi - So if I add a data plan, are there certain settings I need to change in order to get the MMS capability? I was told that the service books are what is required for an MMS to work, and the only way to get the book is with a BB data plan. I don't need those other features you mentioned right now, but would like the ability to send pics.
    Just to clairfy, I am with ATT, not TMO. I know that TMO has the feature enabler, but ATT does not.

PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

sounds like you're SOL and will need to put down for a data plan since att doesn't have the feature enabler