Hi, I just upgraded to a pearl after using a 7510 for the last several ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

phlepper no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Browser Disappeared after Loading Theme

Advertisement

Hi, I just upgraded to a pearl after using a 7510 for the last several years. I found this site today and decided to load a new theme. After downloading the theme (iPhone Zen II), I loaded it via the application loader from my PC.

Now I have several problems that apparently are related to missing net.rim.ecmascript and net.rim.blackberry.xml files:
    • The Help application gives an error "Error starting net_rim_bb_help: Module 'net_rim_ecmascript' not found.
    • The browser has disappeared (it is grayed out in the application loader and says it is missing the above two files as dependencies).
    • The media player won't display the preloaded pictures, video, music, ringtones (although it does show the thumbnails for the pictures). It gives the error 'Unable to display file ...'
    In searching through this site, I've tried, all without success:
    • Deselecting the new theme and removing it from the blackberry (via application loader)
    • Reloading the Service Books
    • Soft booting (removing the battery)
    • Uninstalling and reinstalling the Desktop software
    Any other ideas?

I'm at a loss and, unfortunately, I don't have a backup of the device before I installed the theme. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    phlepper

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Browser Disappeared after Loading Theme

phlepper...i don't think its the theme, but the OS...

what OS are you currently running?
    options/about
    third line down

mine says v4.2.1.94

Question Browser Disappeared after Loading Theme

Sorry, PHP problem caused a double-post.

I am running 4.2.0.73 with Cingular.

Thanks,
    phlepper
    Last edited by phlepper; 05-15-2007 at 11:15 PM.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

i would suggest a wipe and reload

backup the bb and wipe the handheld...then restore the OS...too many errors and i think the reload of the OS will help.

FIRST BACKUP~
    to wipe:
    options/security options/general settings
    while in this screen, choose the menu key and choose wipe handheld

then download the software from rim
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4

and follow these directions
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rade_your.html

and i forgot...welcome to the stacks

::edit:: post back in this thread when you are done let us know the outcome

Question Re: Browser Disappeared after Loading Theme

Thanks Cherrichiodo!

I downloaded the latest OS from the link you provided for Cingular. It says

Software For BlackBerry Pearl (Maine Slate 8100c)

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.0.88 (Multilang)

Package Version: 4.2.0.88
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.2.0.71
    * Software Platform: 2.2.0.41
    * File name: 8100M_PBr4.2.0_rel88_PL2.2.0.41_A4.2.0.71_Cingular .exe
    * File size: 68.01MB
    Since I'm at 4.2.0.73, I thought this would be a later version (4.2.0.88). Rather than wipe my BB, I first tried to just upgrade to the new version hoping it would add back what was missing.

When I start up Desktop manager after installing the OS to my laptop, it tells me that the following versions of the applications listed below are available for your device:
    • BlackBerry ECMAScript Library
    Which sounds good since that's one that I'm having trouble with. So I say "update now" and it gives me a Device Application Version Check dialog saying the current versions on the device are newer than the versions being installed and am I sure I want to do this? If I say yes anyway, it takes me to the Application Loader Wizard screen where all the Blackberry Applications are listed as "Downgrade" under Action. If I look at the details for any one, it tells me the installed version is 4.2.0.73 and the available version is 4.2.0.71.

Since this is the same version at the end of the file name I downloaded, even though the blackberry/cingular site said 4.2.0.88, I'm wondering if I have the wrong version. Is there a different place to find a version that is at least as current as the one on my device? Or should I just be using this *slightly* older version after wiping the device?

Ultimately, I decided to wait and ask this forum again, so I haven't actually installed anything onto the device yet (and still have my original problems).

Thanks for your help,
    phlepper

thexter no está en línea Stack level 2

You might try installing the OS onto your PC then connect your BB to the PPC. It might come back and ask you if you want to install updates. This is what happened to me when I was fixing my Pearl this morning.

You can at least try before doing the full wipe.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by phlepper
    Thanks Cherrichiodo!

I downloaded the latest OS from the link you provided for Cingular. It says

Since I'm at 4.2.0.73, I thought this would be a later version (4.2.0.88). Rather than wipe my BB, I first tried to just upgrade to the new version hoping it would add back what was missing.

When I start up Desktop manager after installing the OS to my laptop, it tells me that the following versions of the applications listed below are available for your device:
    • BlackBerry ECMAScript Library
    Which sounds good since that's one that I'm having trouble with. So I say "update now" and it gives me a Device Application Version Check dialog saying the current versions on the device are newer than the versions being installed and am I sure I want to do this? If I say yes anyway, it takes me to the Application Loader Wizard screen where all the Blackberry Applications are listed as "Downgrade" under Action. If I look at the details for any one, it tells me the installed version is 4.2.0.73 and the available version is 4.2.0.71.

Since this is the same version at the end of the file name I downloaded, even though the blackberry/cingular site said 4.2.0.88, I'm wondering if I have the wrong version. Is there a different place to find a version that is at least as current as the one on my device? Or should I just be using this *slightly* older version after wiping the device?

Ultimately, I decided to wait and ask this forum again, so I haven't actually installed anything onto the device yet (and still have my original problems).

Thanks for your help,
    phlepper
    phlepper the version you grabbed is a little bit older, so you will be downgrading. If you want the same version go back to that site and grab the version for the RED pearl. That is version 4.2.0.73, the one you currently are running.

also the other numbers (4.2.0.88) is the "package" version. I know it gets confusing. So whenever anyone is talking about the OS version that's the 4.2.0.73 numbers. Hope this helps.

Thumbs up Re: Browser Disappeared after Loading Theme

reddog,

Thanks for the pointer to the other OS. After downloading this version, I installed it and after installing the new software, it fixed the problem!

Most of the applications had an action of None, since the versions weren't changing. However, the browser version (while still being grayed out), was marked for upgrading. After the install, my browser is back and all the other non-functioning applications now work.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Now I just have to find out how to update the "iPhone Icon II" theme's icon for Telenav maps to be consistent with the rest of their icons (better match and changing when selected)...

phlepper

italiadan no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Re: Browser Disappeared after Loading Theme

I had the same issue, I just now followed those directions and we'll see what happens! fingers are crossed!!!!!!!!!!!