The trackball on my Pearl no longer works, due to a missing piece of bronze ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

wbro no está en línea Stack level 1

Bronze color plastic tape on trackball circuit board

Advertisement

The trackball on my Pearl no longer works, due to a missing piece of bronze colored tape on the circuit board. I've had it replaced before, but would like to replace it myself.

Does anyone know what this is called and where I can get it? See photo at: img367.imageshack.us/img367/8466/missingpartay0.jpg

Top one is missing part, bottom one isn't.

Hank061978 no está en línea Stack level 3
    You would probably have to buy a whole new trackball assembly. I believe this is the OEM trackball.
    This is the new Atomic Trackball, its black and doesn't light up, however it is the upgrade to the older trackballs. Supposed to keep dust out of the Track Ball cavity. I cannot vouch or either since I have been forunate enough to not be confronted with this problem.

Good Luck,
    Hank

P.S I only suggest these links because when I order from them the items came with installation intructions.
    Hate me for everything I am before you love me for something I'm NOT!!!

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Trackball assembly isn't going to help you at all. The missing piece is attached to the underlying circuit board.

What's actually missing is the anti-static type tape as well as the underlying contact underneath. Without the contact, the trackball "button" function will not work.

Essentially, there is a bowl shaped (upside down) piece of thin, conductive metal. When the trackball is depressed, the piece contacts the other contact on the circuit board. I don't think they sell the replacement part you seek.

Time to send it back for service! Sorry!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

dbc00per no está en línea Stack level 1
    I dug mine out - and it may be a longshot but there are some folks selling pearls for parts. It may be possible to cannibalize an old one with a busted screen or water damage. i would suggest a bit of 2 part epoxy applied with a syringe like a hypodermic needle.
    D-

"rule no. 9 - Never go anywhere without a knife"

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbc00per View Post
    I dug mine out - and it may be a longshot but there are some folks selling pearls for parts. It may be possible to cannibalize an old one with a busted screen or water damage. i would suggest a bit of 2 part epoxy applied with a syringe like a hypodermic needle.
    Worth a shot! There's no harm in trying and it is probably cheaper than sending it out for repair.
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Mj, another excellent post. You are appreciated

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Mj, another excellent post. You are appreciated
    Hey thanks!
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Hank061978 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank061978 View Post
    You would probably have to buy a whole new trackball assembly. I believe this is the OEM trackball.
    This is the new Atomic Trackball, its black and doesn't light up, however it is the upgrade to the older trackballs. Supposed to keep dust out of the Track Ball cavity. I cannot vouch or either since I have been forunate enough to not be confronted with this problem.

Good Luck,
    Hank

P.S I only suggest these links because when I order from them the items came with installation intructions.

WOW!!! I looked at those pictures completely wrong and made a total a$$ of myself. I do apoligize for wasting anyones time.
    Hate me for everything I am before you love me for something I'm NOT!!!