I just returned by Pearl to Rogers today. I've only had it 2 weeks. The ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jamesrim no está en línea Stack level 1

Broken trackball on Pearl 8100

Advertisement

I just returned by Pearl to Rogers today. I've only had it 2 weeks. The trackball starting entering the letters from the "QW" and "ER" keys whenever it was clicked. This happened within the first week too but went away. Today it did not go away so I took it in to swap it out.

Given all the threads on the trackball getting dirty I thought it might be that so I bought a holster. However I hadn't had it very long and it wasn't dirty at all.

I guess this could be a software issue but it seemed mechanical. Since I didn't see any posts on this here I thought other people might be interested.

Anyone else see this?

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Broken trackball on Pearl 8100

never heard of this one.
    thanks for sharing!

ps do you have really big fingers? LOL
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

could just be faulty, you shouldn't have the problem with the replacement. I have never heard of the trackball typing letters magically

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Welcome to Pinstack!
    Have you tried removing the battery? While the phone is on, remove the battery for 30 seconds and replace. This usually fixes most ailments.

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyRVC
    Welcome to Pinstack!
    Have you tried removing the battery? While the phone is on, remove the battery for 30 seconds and replace. This usually fixes most ailments.
    Yes I power cycled it and also removed and replaced the battery. This didn't help. The problem appeared to go away with a little extra force on the ball the first time but this didn't work the second time it happened.

Tech support hadn't heard of this issue -- they thought a OS upgrade might help but since the issue was intermittent, it was easier to get a replacement. I didn't want to have the OS upgrade appear to fix it but then have it break again after 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by j llama
    could just be faulty, you shouldn't have the problem with the replacement. I have never heard of the trackball typing letters magically
    Neither had Rogers Tech support.... it seems weird to me too... almost mechanical rather than a software issue.

Phone is great otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by kayos72
    never heard of this one.
    thanks for sharing!

ps do you have really big fingers? LOL
    hehe funny --- but that wasn't it