Hey everyone- love the site! I was wondering what people's opinions of using a bluetooth ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

psumaterialsguy no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Bluetooth vs. USB with laptop

Advertisement

Hey everyone- love the site!

I was wondering what people's opinions of using a bluetooth vs. USB when syncing with a laptop. I don't have an adapter on my laptop but was kicking around the idea of getting one. I'm also using Vista, so any snags or heads -up would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ed_scott0013 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Bluetooth vs. USB with laptop

Hello psumaterialsguy,

I prefer using the USB cable. It's actually a pretty standard USB cable with a mini-jack on the other end, so you'll be able to find them anywhere: My USB HDD, Camera and Pearl all use the same cable, I just leave it plugged in to the computer.

Edit: Wait... you were talking about buying a Bluetooth adapter, right? My bad...

One benefit of using the USB cable is that you can simultaneously charge the phone while you're adding apps, backing up info or loading media.

Bluetooth is nice in that there are no wires or cables to worry about, but I think there are some limits as to what you can do with the BT connecton (no Media Manager or App Loader, but I'm not 100% sure).

Anyways, I hope this helps.

PS: I also have Windows Vista, and I have done connections in both ways, but I end up using the USB cable just because it's quicker and easier.
    Last edited by ed_scott0013; 02-28-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Clarification...

MWARREN no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2469DF36

I prefer the blue tooth for teatherd modem part of it. I seem to have less problems when down loading. It also seems to have a faster connection. Everything else is better with the cable. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cfrench no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I was told that bluetooth was a slower connection.

Via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

James80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31955D4A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Im not sure but I think the newer version of bluetooth (2.0) has faster transfer speeds than previously. If it is slower it shouldn't be that slower than usb. But I could be wrong. Good question though cause the new laptop I'm getting has bluetooth built-in and although usb is good I want to check out the WOW factor with bluetooth tethering .

psumaterialsguy no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for the suggestions...

After looking around a bit, I think I'm going to stay with the USB for now because I'm going to have to buy the external adapter, so I'd still be carrying and plugging something in anyway.