So I just started using a Motorola H500 headset w/ my Cingular pearl - first ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Blue Tooth Headset and Battery Life Tips

Advertisement

So I just started using a Motorola H500 headset w/ my Cingular pearl - first experience w/ BT on any phone. I really only use the headset for driving (not that often) and once in a while for long conference calls. For normal day-to-day use I just use the phone.

So my question is - what is the best way to configure the Pearl so I'm not killing my battery when not using the headset?

Is the Pearl sucking up battery life if I leave Bluetooth On but the headset is Off - so I see the BT icon but not the two little arrows? Is the Pearl constantly looking around for other devices to pair with when BT is set to On? If so, I would imagine I should Turn BT Off on the Pearl whenever I'm not using it conserve battery life?

I also want to minimize button presses / setup when I do decide to use the headset. So if I keep BT Off on the Pearl, and then click the icon on the Pearl to turn it on, will it automatically detect my headset (assuming that's on of course) so I can start using it?

Last question - since the Pearl supports BT 2.0, will I get better results with a headset like the Moto H670 or is the H500 with 1.2 just fine?

Any tips for a BT novice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by EricScott; 03-11-2007 at 04:44 PM.

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Re: Blue Tooth Headset and Battery Life Tips

When u disconnect your headset, leavin the bluetooth singnal on wont effact your battery life. Also when the two little errows are out there it means u're paired with some kind of device already and even if it was searching for another device u're still pretty secure because before someone can connect to you, you both have to confirm it with a password thats by defoult is 0000.

Now as far as I know (probably depending on your headset) when u turn BT on u also have to turn your headset on and will probably not detect automatically.

And to answer your last question, 1.2 will be fine, not the best and not my choice but up to your budget. I think almost any BT Headset over $40 will be just fine.

Hope this helps lol

Thanks for the response. Very helpful.

So it sounds like I should always leave Bluetooth turned on since it won't affect my battery life (if the headset is off for example). This is actually surprising to me - does your answer have anything to do w/ the "Discoverable" setting on the Pearl? Right now it is set to No, which I am assuming means that other devices can't find my Pearl and therefore my Pearl isn't using any battery by just sitting there if there isn't an active device paired with it. If I were to set Discoverable to Yes, I guess just leaving BT on, could drain your battery? Am I understanding this correctly?

I played around the the Moto 500 and as long as you set it as a "Trusted" device in Bluetooth options, when you turn the headset on or off, the Pearl automatically detects it or disconnects it.

So this seems like exactly what I want - when I want to use my headset I just turn it on and the Pearl discovers it. When I don't, I turn it off and even though BT is still on on the Pearl, my battery life isn't affected.

A little confused about the last point - are you saying that 2.0 will provide better sound quality? The 670 is like $15-$20 more than the 500 so if it provides better sound quality or other benefits I would probably go w/ that.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Leaving the discoverable on or off doesnt make any difference on my opinion but it does allow other to detect u if its turned on, but it doesnt mean they can connect to u even if its set to on. All it means is that they can see u but to connect with u, again both of ya will have to confirm the passcode. 670 on my opinion does provide a better quality and its worth the money, even thou 500 is pretty good too. Everything else, u got it!

Makes sense.

Will check out the 670. Like the look of it better too.

Thanks