Has anyone had a problem with the speaker sounding like it's blown? I noticed when ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

8lackPearl no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DECF97

blown speaker?

Advertisement

Has anyone had a problem with the speaker sounding like it's blown? I noticed when my volume is all the way up it, on some occasions, sounds raspy. Is there anyway to fix this problem?

SSM_Scotch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E29A5E
    It would have something to do with the levels on the sound files you are attempting to play. I usually just turn in down.

I would guess if its a problem with you speaker i will need to be replaced, if it is the audio or video files you are trying to play/use. You can open them in an audio\video editor change the levels and re-export them. Should be the master vol. setting.

dwc
    dwc no está en línea Stack level 2
    That raspy sound may just be standard distortion, and not a truly "blown" speaker.

If the speaker was truly blown (i.e. torn cone) you'd get a buzz at lower volume levels, not just at full volume.

-Dan

jkois no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C0FE6

Thumbs up

I noticed it on mine as well. might be the back cover. press in on it lightly when you hear the raspy sound, it should go away.
    I wonder if drilling a few holes in the back would help. I may try it this weekend, will let you know.

PacificDude8 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    One thing that helps to eliminate some of the distortion is drilling a few little holes into the back cover of your blackberry. I read that on another post on this forum and said "What the heck, a replacement cover is only $15 from RIM" so I just sat the cover down and stedily drilled holes into it from the outside 'side' of the cover (obviously you want to do this with the cover off the phone so you don't end up drilling through your speaker). And the end result was quite satisfying.

However the photo quality on the BB Pearl, isn't something I would boast about :-\

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Quote Originally Posted by PacificDude8
    However the photo quality on the BB Pearl, isn't something I would boast about :-\
    Nice...we need to start a club that consists only of pearl users who have mutilated their blackberrys (i'm right there with you).

My question though, is what is the round thing at the bottom of pearl in that picture? Just a reflection?

PIN/ID
    23DECF97
    Also about the picture; is it reversed? Because my phone has the speaker on the other side. And another thing; it does help if I press on the back, so why will it help to drill holes?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by 8lackPearl
    Also about the picture; is it reversed? Because my phone has the speaker on the other side. And another thing; it does help if I press on the back, so why will it help to drill holes?
    I think he took that picture in the mirror with the pearl.
    I drilled holes also It helped in two ways volume was louder and less distortion when playing it loud

sdowney83 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Ive found that slightly cupping your hand at the top of the 8100 makes the phone sound 10 times louder... It won't necessarily make the buzz go away, but it will let you listen to your phone at a lower volume... I'm pretty sure drilling holes in the back cover does the same thing... But there's no way in hell I'm gonna take power tools to my phone...

PIN/ID
    23DECF97
    I took the back off and added a couple of small stickers to close the gap between the speaker and the back plate to simulate squeezing of the back to enhance the sound quality at high volume; without drilling holes. I'm sure drilling holes will sound louder and crisper, but I'm not down with cosmetic surgery! It may not be as protected that way.