Hello everyone--like a handful of other people it seems my blackberry may have crashed. With ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

cschwatk no está en línea Stack level 1

Blinking Red Light - Help?

Advertisement

Hello everyone--like a handful of other people it seems my blackberry may have crashed. With the battery in all I get is RED *blink blink blink* *pause* *blink blink*...so five total blinks with a pause in between the three and two series.

I saw the guide to restoring the OS without connectivity to Desktop Manager...but I don't think I can do that because I did not back up the contacts before this happened. I also tried it 20 or so times and don't seem to be getting anywhere. Is there anyway to still back up the contents of my Pearl? Desktop manager does not seem to see the pearl (which makes sense). If not...I ran a search for any .IPD files (BB backup format?) and I found one from last year...is there a way I can check to see if that file is indeed the backup file before I wipe everything in an attempt to get this baby back in action?

When I say the red light is blinking...that's all that the phone will do. It will not power up. No hourglass. No lighted screen...just the blinking light. The pearl seems to be completely dead.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    Have you tried powering up the phone with just the AC adapter? With and/or without the battery?

schumacher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256F471E
    maybe the battery is completely dead. try charging it for a few hours. i might just come back to life. is there a battery u can borrow from a friend just to chk?

possibly

I charged it for about an hour?...I'll throw it on the wall charger for the whole night and hope for a miracle. Even if the battery is completely dead...won't it still power up if plugged in to the wall? Thanks!

schumacher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256F471E
    Quote Originally Posted by cschwatk View Post
    I charged it for about an hour?...I'll throw it on the wall charger for the whole night and hope for a miracle. Even if the battery is completely dead...won't it still power up if plugged in to the wall? Thanks!
    i do remember some phones when completely dead take a while to power up when plugged in. my bb battery has never gone completely dead. its worth a try.

if nothing works, go ahead and reload os. u anyway have an old back up.

Didn't work

Unfortunately charging it all night did not work. I'm going to take it in to the ATT store to see what they think...knowing nothing will probably come out of it :-).

Even with all the step by steps and tricks to load an OS when the handset can't be detected I've been unsuccessful at getting Device Manager to see it....so haven't been able to reload.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by cschwatk View Post
    Unfortunately charging it all night did not work. I'm going to take it in to the ATT store to see what they think...knowing nothing will probably come out of it :-).

Even with all the step by steps and tricks to load an OS when the handset can't be detected I've been unsuccessful at getting Device Manager to see it....so haven't been able to reload.
    have you downloaded the desktop software needed with the desktop manager?

you need both for it to work
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

New OS...

Yep...I downloaded the 4.2.1.96 version from the BB website for ATT. The problem is I can't get Desktop Manager to see the device...I think most of the guides are for when the handset powers up on some level and gives the user the hourglass symbol at least and continually resets...mine is completely lifeless with the exception of the "blinking red light."

Step by step...with the handset blinking I've followed the steps....but still just getting "DEVICE CONNECTED (PIN): None"

Blue Eyes no está en línea Stack level 1
    Sorry to tell you, but your BB is totally dead...

i saw the same situation when my colegue was messing with upgrading and downgrading and in one moment something went wrong...

his BB (even though it's 8310) had same symptoms and it died in his hands

But good thing is that if you have warranty then you have nothing to worry about. By the symptoms you fried the EPROM and i doubt they'll be opening it and testing piece by piece... it's more cheaper and faster for them to give you new one...

over a year...

Unfortunately my Pearl isn't under warranty :-( -- it's only a few months old but it was a replacement for the first Pearl I had for about a year.

Say it isn't so...any way of getting my contacts off?

Blue Eyes no está en línea Stack level 1
    sorry to hear that, but i don't think there is a way to get anything from it...
    IMHO - it's dead as it can be....

sorry

:-( -- nobody to send it to or anything? I've got years of contacts on there from previous BB....I'm really a dork for not backing it up.