This is a wierd one. I travel every week from San Diego to San Francisco ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

cltDeac no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry Power Issue when Traveling

Advertisement

This is a wierd one. I travel every week from San Diego to San Francisco for work. On Monday morning, I turn on my fully charged phone when I land. By about 5:00 PM it eats up all of the battery and will be completely dead. However after this initial mishap, it will be fine for the rest of the week - I generally charge my phone every other day. When I return to San Diego, same thing happens.. it kills itself once and then it returns to normal.

The first time this happened, I thought it was odd
    The second and third time, I realized there was a pattern
    The fourth time I was annoyed
    and finally, this the fifth week, I am asking for help..

THanks!!

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Re: Blackberry Power Issue when Traveling

This is a stab in the dark but...is your phone constantly on the same network when traveling or is it searching for a signal the entire time?

I thought about that.. but I am on Cingular the whole time.

When I first turn it on after we land, I watch it go "GSM" then "edge" then "EDGE" and it stays there.. Is there any way to tell if it continues to search once it stays on "EDGE"?

Yogich no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    It has something to do with the electromagnetic field(s) in the airplane, perhaps...?

volsfan0911 no está en línea Stack level 1

That's truly weird. I just got a 8310 (I know, Curve not Pearl) but have been thrilled since moving from VZW especially with battery life. I have left my house in Baltimore flying to Wichita for two trips now - leaving from home like you with a fully charged 8310 - wailed on it the whole time before and after flying (email, surfing, voice) and still been able to get through the whole travel day and go to job site the next day with probably 45-50% left on Tuesday morning. And yes, I do power down everything getting on the plane. In fact, since it's a one stopper, it gets completely cycled twice and yes, I use it heavily during my layover in STL or DFW.

PIN/ID
    3G
    Quote Originally Posted by cltDeac View Post
    I thought about that.. but I am on Cingular the whole time.

When I first turn it on after we land, I watch it go "GSM" then "edge" then "EDGE" and it stays there.. Is there any way to tell if it continues to search once it stays on "EDGE"?
    I would figure that once you lock in on a net...you stay locked until you cross into a different net. Wish I could be of more assistance. One more thing, are you accidentally leaving anything on (i.e. media or GPS) that would drain your battery?

No - I don't use media and leave the GPS at home. The bluetooth is off.

I do get a lot of SIM card errors that I have to fix by shutting down the phone and starting it back up. Could an older or faulty SIM card cause something like this? Maybe the phone is always trying to figure out the network or something..

It's odd.

PIN/ID
    3G

That is a possibility...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~