Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want to sell my Sidekick 2 and buy a blackberry pearl. I need to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

xBERTOx no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry Pearl Vs. Sidekick

Advertisement

I want to sell my Sidekick 2 and buy a blackberry pearl. I need to be a little more convinced that I'll be doing the right thing. I'm tired of the size and weight of the sidekick and I want to have something that I hope is better. Explain...

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Blackberry Pearl Vs. Sidekick

what exactly do you need explained?

xBERTOx no está en línea Stack level 1

Well I want the BB to be compared to the sidekick by people who have experience with both of these phones. I would like to read more "BB does this and the sidekick doesn't". Is the AIM on the BB as good as the Sidekick's AIM?

ajamudc no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I think you might have posted this in the wrong section. You'll probably receive more of a response in the Blackberry 8100 section.

rdc2000 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by ajamudc
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I think you might have posted this in the wrong section. You'll probably receive more of a response in the Blackberry 8100 section.
    Was this thread moved or is this not the 8100 section?

I haven't used the sidekick. But the big and most obvious advantage is regular email. If you need it, want it- then get it. The pearl is a great texter as well, as fast as the sidekick, if you are willing to speak in complete sentences...

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by xBERTOx
    Well I want the BB to be compared to the sidekick by people who have experience with both of these phones. I would like to read more "BB does this and the sidekick doesn't". Is the AIM on the BB as good as the Sidekick's AIM?

Never was one for carrying a brick in my pocket. They basically do the exact same thing. Except the Pearl has Email and you can sync it with Outlook, Lotus, etc. I believe they have just come out with an AIM app for BBs, but don't quote me on that. I'm not sure if it's out yet. I use JiveTalk, which is a Multi-IM client and works to perfection. My conclusion is the Pearl wins always. It just does everything the SK3 does just in a smaller package and with a little finesse.

Just my .02 hope that helps

bpomeroy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24450BFA

I bought my Daughter a sidekick for her birthday last year and I myself use a pearl. I find that the Blackberry is a much much more sophisticated device. I set up her sidekick for her and there is no comparison between the two devices (in my mind anyway) as for the differences...
    1. BB allows for multiple email addresses
    2. with a micro SD card you are not limited to the number of pictures, ringtones, videos, files etc that you can store. Also you can attach files of any format (word excell, ppoint etc) and email them
    3. You can synchronize the calendar, notes, and address programs with the desktop software that you use (Outlook, lotus etc)
    4. Bluetooth
    5. BBmaps and GPS functionality (with BT GPS puck)
    6. The BB screen has a much higher resolution and is therfore alot clearer and easier to read.
    7. size size size size size

Hopes this helps - I made the switch from a BB 7290 3 months ago. I had a lot of reservations before the switch about using the suretype keyboard. Although I have read on some posts that some have had some issues with it, I have found that after about a month on the suretype I can type faster than on the full keyboard. For me the pearl is the best full functioning smart phone on the market.

Maybe see if your provider will let you demo a unit for a couple of days

mando82 no está en línea Stack level 2

i actually had the sidekick3 the cool white d-wade edition. i loved it. typing on it was awesome, what actually convinced me to get a blackberry or another phone, was that the sidekick3 picture quality wasnt that great. it says 1.3 megapixel but it didnt look so clear at times. kinda foggy. and the screen wasnt that great either. the pearl and even my other phone (t809/t629) have a really bright, clear, crisp screen with high resolution. pictures and images looked amazin. on the sidekick3 they looked kinda dull and foggy. other than that, i loved the sidekick3. oh and i also traded it in, cuz it was too big. i always carry my phones in my pocket since i have to walk around all day at work.

pgonz1 no está en línea Stack level 1

i had tha sk3 and gave that up quick....just isnt worth it... i luvvvvvvv my pearl...itz hott!!!

PIN/ID
    23EB47F3

I have had a SK2 and 2 SK3's (dont ask) Call quality sucks (reception and sound), picture quality, you can only buy ringtones at $2.99 a piece instead of the 40 FREE ringtones i made for my Pearl. My g/f still has a SK3 and is ALWAYS bitching she lost her G. Without a G you have no email, no IM, no web browsing. Only phone service. Oh yeah one more thing browsing the web on it sucks too. Just my .02

sidekick3 pros:
    sex appeal (people always asked what it was and were amazed when i flipped open the screen)
    best qwerty keyboard in my opinion
    easy to use
    multi-tasking between programs

cons:
    sub-par camera
    poor screen resolution/brightness
    can only receive mms messages to ur NEW sidekick email and not ur phone#

these are the only ones that come to mind.
    i was actually thinking of buy a regular sidekick3 (dwade was about 399 total) for about 225 or less if i could because i fell inlove with the typing. and i text like crazy!!!! but im glad i got the pearl.

oh yea i forgot about that, all the programs are about 4.99 and u can only download them from their catalog. and ringtones are 2.99 and are about 6-15 sec long. i felt ripped off when i bought the jt - sexy back and it was under 10sec. =( and you cant make custom ringtones. with my pearl and other phones, i have never paid for any ringtones, i just make them myself.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I love my SK3 because I can use it to communicate with others who are deaf, and most of the interpreters at my college have them. I love the full keyboard when I get tired of the tiny pearl keyboard. The games on the device are fun. Even though each have their problems, I focus on the good of each. To me the biggest difference is the device quality and durability. I have only had 4 sidekicks but just got my 10th BB.

I love my Pearl because its small and compact. I love the pin messaging and browsers on here. I like the instant email and themes.

There is my opinion if needed.

StatikBB no está en línea Stack level 2

In working for T-mobile I have noticed two very different communities that use these phones. The Sidekick is the ulitmate texting machine, popular mostly among teenagers and the like. It can browse the internet, but from what I can tell will nnot let you access all websites. The Pearl, on the other hand, is not only for businessmen, but caters to those who would like a phone that acts like a phone. The Pearl has been the perfect medium to get users who would not be attracted to the big bulky signature BBs. The Pearl is a tiny office in your pocket kind of thing. I will tell you that the thing that I enjoy the most is the amount of support and downloads for the BlackBerrys. I was not one to use a "data phone" until I purchased my Pearl, but now that I have it I have found that I use all of the features, such as google maps, my yahoo email, the extroardinary 1.3 megapixel camera, and oh yeah, the voice dial that you dont have to program. (it actually reads all of the names you have in your phone book without having to go through the process of pre programming certain names) I could go on for days about the things that I love about this device, but I think you get the idea. The Pearl is just a more grown-up, fashionable, functional solution. Hope that helps.
    -Statik-
    T-Mobile RSR
    8100 Pearl

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Yeah I agree about the browser on the SK. I usually use my pearl or pc for that. I have not used the camera on the SK3. I have taken only 1 pic using the BB and it came out ok.I have used both as data only devices because I don't talk on the phone much but I had to get minutes on my BB because of the need to reach my parents from college. I really don't like holding bulky devices to my ear so I got Bluetooth to solve that problem with the SK3. However, with my Pearls and my 7100 series devices previously, I can hold these with no problem.

However, I have to disagree with those who say the SK is only for teens. I, along with most of my deaf friends, not all as I stated in my previous post who own a sidekick, are adults. I didn't get my color sidekick until I was 24 almost 25.

One of a few deaf friends I know who uses a BB is my college counselor who uses an 8700g. I also know a guy who uses a 72XX series BB. I think 2 or more deaf, and interpreter stackers including me, here use the BB.

My opinion on the issue is to choose whatever you feel fits your needs most. If you can get both, more power to you and me LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast