Hello all, well I ran out to Rogers today to see if they had the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

cybersmoothy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    206792FB

Thumbs down Blackberry Pearl too small....

Advertisement

Hello all,
    well I ran out to Rogers today to see if they had the new pearl...of course they didn't stating it would be available in 1-2 weeks from now...BUT..they did have a demo model with them. So I put that little blackberry pearl in my hands and my damn fingers are too big for it!!! one of my fingers covers 2 keys practically. I can't see myself carefully aiming for each little key.....HEARTBREAKING!!!! The darn phone is as long my middle finger!! I was so excited to have this phone.....guess I'll have to go for the 8700r or 7130g. Am I settling? Is the pearl that much better (camera and mediaplayer aside) than both these others? As my future lies with the other two..which do you recommend?

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Re: Blackberry Pearl too small....

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You may want to hold out for the 8800. It should be out in the next few months. Hopefully. But if I had to choose one now, I'd go with the 8700r. I have the 8700g and really like it.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

cybersmoothy, Welcome to PinStack.

I recommend the 8700, the screen layout just seem to be better than the Vertical layout of the others.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

Welcome to pinstack and based upon what you said, I confer with the others recommendation of the 8700r if you can't wait until the 8800 is released. Ultimately, the choice is yours.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Forget them! That's the qwerty "brat-pack"!

7130g all the way! If you think the Pearl is too small, then try out the 7130g. If you're hardcore BlackBerry, the absence of the wheel will drive you to the edge of madness.

I'm on Rogers, first with the 7100r for a year, and now the 7130g for 3 months. If you like a manageable form factor and a device that doesn't look gigantic when using is as a phone, the 7130g is for you.

And read around: the Pearl's "media" features seem a bit lacklustre and rushed-to-market.

However, I'm merely lending my opinion as a fellow Rogers customer.

Plus, the 8700r is $500 with 3 year contract, and the 7130g is $250.

ernestdefoe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    218D1F76

Well I too have big fingers but I don't find it that hard to type on the Pearl. I wish the buttons were a little bigger but the the device would be bigger.

PIN/ID
    206792FB

going tonight to compare the pearl and 8700g again..Im losing sleep over this!!! I'm not sure what that pearl has done...but I'm obsessed with it. My heart tells me yes...but my head (and hand) tell me HELL NO!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

The Pearl, or not the Pearl? Tis the question.

PIN/ID
    206792FB

Hey...what about the 7130g vs the pearl?

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

The 7130G is a thicker, taller and slightly wider device than the Pearl, and it's keys have better spacing between them, which may help you with typing. I found that it felt better in my hand as well, but I'm not fond of tiny phones.

The sceen is about the same, as is the device performance and memory. 7130g has a slightly larger battery which may or may not provide longer battery life than the one in the Pearl. Main differences functionally are the 7130g has a wheel instead of a trackball, no camera or microSD slot, and uses BB OS 4.1 instead of 4.2 (for now anyway) so it lacks a handful of features that are currenly exclusive to the 8100, most notably the media player.

As for what to go for, I vote 8700. I can't stand the SureType keyboards, even with the improvements the 8100 has. I also prefer the larger screen for miles less scrolling than on the slim style (71xx, 81xx) BBs, but you should really try typing and reading on both to see if it's something you can live with.

When you go check out the Pearl, 8700, and 7130g, type something long (at least 100 words) on each of them and see which one (if any) inspire "HULK SMASH!" thoughts or feelings.

In the end, no matter how 'cool' it may seem, if you're not comfortable using the Pearl or the other models for that matter, you won't be happy with it and will regret it.

If you can get your buddies at the Rogers store to hook you up, you might be able to try out the pearl and switch later without (too much) penalty.

I knew I wasn't the only person who found the Pearl too small, but your index finger is longer than the device? Wow.

As for what keeps you coming back to the Pearl, that's easy.
    Shiny Plastic Housing. It's like dangling tinsel in front of a kitten.

If it were a flat grey device, or the same satin finish the 7290's have, no where near as many people would be all infatuated with it as there are now. Just the people who knew what it could do would be all over it.

BTW - Will this be your first BB, or are you looking to upgrade from an older device?
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

PIN/ID
    206792FB

Tremendous answer BBWrangler...thank-you!!! I'll do that right now and report back! Thanks again.

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3

Yes I think you might wait for the 8800. Its a souped up 8700.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

But if it was a nice flat grey, it would resemble a PowerBook or MacBook Pro, then everyone would want a Pearl! (More than they do now..)

X Factor no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204AEE68

I was having the same thoughts when I was looking at mine before I purchased it, but after simulating a few text messages I found that it works just fine, my fingers aren't HUGE, but they are big. The way the buttons press kind of allow you to fat finger them a little without you actually pressing the other buttons fully to click and enter that character. I truly love my Pearl and if you don't go with it, i'm sure the other BBerries are just as amazing.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

Just bumping to see which device you decided on cybersmoothy, and what your impressions were after typing on the 3 models.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.