Hey, I have my Blackberry Pearl and I'm loving it, but there are some things ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

asakhai no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry Pearl Questions

Advertisement

Hey, I have my Blackberry Pearl and I'm loving it, but there are some things that keep it from being perfect.

1. Okay, the volume on the phone is awful. Is there a firmware upgrade that will allow me to raise the volume?

2. Everytime I send an e-mail from my blackberry (this is a GMail account) it sends a copy of the e-mail back to the phone, which is slightly annoying. Is there a way to prevent that?

3. Is there a way to sync g-mail's calendar feature with my blackberry's calendar? I have a groupwise e-mail at work that will sync to the blackberry but I don't want to send personal events from there.

4. I have the blackberry desktop manager that came with the phone but it doesn't have any of the features that I am looking for. Is there an application that will allow me to manage my personal contacts and events on my calendar without having to manually put it in using the phone?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Please e-mail me at aaron(dot)sakhai@gmail.com

Aaron

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

Re: Blackberry Pearl Questions

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Outlook. I have a 10 gig Windows partition on an otherwise linux machine just for a once per day sync.

lilkt no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by asakhai
    2. Everytime I send an e-mail from my blackberry (this is a GMail account) it sends a copy of the e-mail back to the phone, which is slightly annoying. Is there a way to prevent that?
    this is the only question i have an answer to. i've been using BB for 2 yrs now, 1st one was 7105t and now i own the pearl. i use both gmail and yahoo on the BB and had the same prob with my own emails from gmail coming to my phone. the only solution i've used and has been working well is set a filter on that gmail account thru the BB email setup or thru your acct on tmo's website and have it so that any emails which contains your gmail address in the FROM field be directed straight to trash. it has worked well for me. the reason why it does get forwarded is becuz of the threaded design of gmail. noticed that when you send out an email it becomes part of a discussion thread which gmail sees as "incoming mail", therefore it gets forwarded to your BB. anyway, hope this helps! i also read on gmail awhile back of another way to prevent it too but i think it was a little more complicated.

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by asakhai
    Hey, I have my Blackberry Pearl and I'm loving it, but there are some things that keep it from being perfect.

1. Okay, the volume on the phone is awful. Is there a firmware upgrade that will allow me to raise the volume?
    Don't know. I have no problem with my volume (at 3/4 max).

It has something to do with the "conversation" feature of gmail...it'll always look at your sent email as new and push it. Fix by setting up a filter. go to your blackberry email setup (such as your 'my tmobile' account or whatever you have). add a filter to the Gmail...in the filter properties, select "From" and add your gmail address and select to not push/forward to handset.

Is there a way to sync g-mail's calendar feature with my blackberry's calendar? I have a groupwise e-mail at work that will sync to the blackberry but I don't want to send personal events from there.
    Is this a 2 part question?

I don't use g-mail's calendar, but remember seeing software somewhere that will let the bb sync with it.

As for personal events...not sure. the only way i can think of is to add a 'Personal' tag in the notes section, and in the desktop software set up an email to filter out anything in the 'Body' with a 'Personal' tag on it. I use Outlook so the procedure might be different, but filters are a pretty powerful tool if you know how to use them.

4. I have the blackberry desktop manager that came with the phone but it doesn't have any of the features that I am looking for. Is there an application that will allow me to manage my personal contacts and events on my calendar without having to manually put it in using the phone?
    Not that I know of. I think the reason is that they don't want to give people too many options to add/edit contacts and events considering most people would be syncing it with whatever program they are already using. They already have the ability to edit/add with their email program as well as the handheld...giving them a third option is overkill for most people and would potentially cause more confusion since a lot of people are already confused with just using outlook and their BB.

I thought it was missing something like this too, but after awhile, i actually see how most of the editing/adding can be done in outlook and the handheld just syncs with it. Using the filters makes it more flexible, and at this point i would rather not have another program to edit/add because it's unnecessary.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You mention being on a Lotus BES at work?

If that is the case, there is nothing "personal" on your BlackBerry.

Whether OTA sync or USB sync, as long as it's sync-ing, everything is sync'd. There is only ONE calendar and ONE address book on a BlackBerry.

The best thing to do when adding calendar events on the BlackBerry is to check off the box for "Private". This won't prevent the appointment from being sync'd on the BES, but it will prevent other users from being able to read what you're doing. Though your "out-of-office" status is still available.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Some good answers there. Welcome aboard

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You mention being on a Lotus BES at work?

If that is the case, there is nothing "personal" on your BlackBerry.

Whether OTA sync or USB sync, as long as it's sync-ing, everything is sync'd. There is only ONE calendar and ONE address book on a BlackBerry.

The best thing to do when adding calendar events on the BlackBerry is to check off the box for "Private". This won't prevent the appointment from being sync'd on the BES, but it will prevent other users from being able to read what you're doing. Though your "out-of-office" status is still available.
    right, there's only 1 calender and 1 address book in your BB...but you can set up the desktop software to filter out individual events or contacts. In contacts, I have the category field filled in and filtered. For the events, you have to just add something to the body or notes section to filter since there's no category.