Ever since I got my pearl, I have become a memory junkie. I am constantly ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rifraf2009 no está en línea Stack level 4

blackberry pearl memory junkie

Advertisement

Ever since I got my pearl, I have become a memory junkie. I am constantly checking to see how much I have. With all of the issues I had when I first got it, I started deleting all the useless junk, and anything that I didn't think I would ever use or need. I have os 4.5 and right now am at 21.4 mb of free memory. Of course, just 4 weeks ago I had 23 mb's. And I haven't added any new apps. I have 1 theme that I made that is only 240 kb's. And 4 other apps that don't eat up a lot of memory. I do have facebook, which I know takes up space, but I have it set to where it isn't running in the background checking for updates. My phone works fine, no issues. I was just wondering how much memory SHOULD I have? I have seen people post that they have 30, to 40 mb's of free space with several more apps than I have. So, I was just curious how much SHOULD I have? And better yet, is there a way to get MORE!!! I'm a junkie, lol!

I have the app MaxMem and deleted everything off of here that I don't need or use, including vad. I always close out everything instead of just hitting the escape key. I keep the activity log clean, and have the app soft reset which is just like doing a battery pull. Anything else I can do to jack up my memory?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Check your browser history, cache, cookies, etc. Those can be memory hogs also.

Yep, clear them every time I close the browser.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Don't all the CDMA devices have more onboard memory than the GSM devices or is that just the Curve model?

I'd say 20mb+ is pretty good, especially if you only have the 64mb onboard memory.

I've always thought the rule of thumb was to stay at or above the 10mb range. Anything below that started presenting issues with latency and disappearing log, email and text message entries.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    That was just the Curve 8350i that had double the onboard memory. The Pearl only has 64 MB onboard.

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Check out this thread about memory cleaning. I've read about a lot of Pinstacker's using this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    That was just the Curve 8350i that had double the onboard memory. The Pearl only has 64 MB onboard.
    I'm pretty sure the 8330 has more memory, too.

That's what I always thought. That was the problem I had when I first got it. After a week, I lost call logs, messages, emails, etc. Even called alltel, that was a joke. Started searching the internet and finally someone here at pinstack led me in the right direction. So when I cleaned everthing unwanted off and it shot up to about 24 mb from only 8, I was in heaven. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with the phone, it works GREAT! And I understand that the bigger devices have more memory than my little junior BB. But I can't stop checking my memory. I must check it at least 50 times a day. And then I will see a post where someone, with a pearl, is saying they have between 30 and 40 megs, and all I can think is how the heck did you manage that. So naturally, being the junkie that I am, I just have to find out if there is some mystical secret that I have missed. Oh by the way, thanks for quick responses!

LOL! I can relate, rif......until I got my 9700 a couple weeks ago, I did the same thing with my 8310. But you're all good, so no worries.

Whew!!! I was beginning to wonder, lol. Sorry, had to go check my memory again, lol. THANKS!