Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Via engadgetmobile.com ... Ever used a Pearl? Well, yes, it's thin, it's sexy, it's much ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Blackberry Pearl and quality of keys.

Advertisement

Via engadgetmobile.com...
    Ever used a Pearl? Well, yes, it's thin, it's sexy, it's much more easy on the eyes than the rest of the BlackBerrys out there. But the keypad -- dear lord! RIM got so wrapped up in that stupid "pearl" of theirs that they forgot how crucial the typing experience is on a mobile communicator with a QWERTY (or in this case SureType) keyboard. They're smushy, mushy, wobbly, and weak. Know why? Because they're just keys glued to a thin, flexible rubber filmbeneath. Seriously, we kid you not -- more pictures after the break.

krusch no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Blackberry Pearl and quality of keys.

If anything, this picture shows how rugged the keys are. How far does that thing stretch before it will break?

325inewbie no está en línea Stack level 3

the keys felt cheap on mine

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I think you are missing the pointe here krusch. When a person spends X amount of hard earned money for a Blackberry, they don't expect the keys to do that.

That for a Blackberry, is totally unacceptable. RIM bills these devices as high quality.

If that was to happen to my Blackberry, RIM would for sure know who I was.

Please don't get me wrong krusch, im not bagging on you. I just think RIM really dropped the ball on these pearls.

Moridar no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    302686bc

GAH! that is bad... But I took a knife out and lifted the buttons the same way on my 7100. Looks to be normal for there to be some sort of lift to the keys. No where near as far as the 8100 in the pic. But I'm not willing to go that far!

d_fisher no está en línea Stack level 3

I haven't used a Pearl yet, but I can do the same thing with my 7100t just like Moridar. So are the keys on the Pearl that much different than the 7100??? Looking at the pictures I would think not. But I have nothing to compare this against.

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

I just tried my 7100g, and they are solid as a rock. cant stretch them at all. seems to be very different.

kwyjibo no está en línea Stack level 2

But who's gona take a screwdriver to their pearl........everything seems pretty sturdy to me.

joe allen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32b09853

Quote Originally Posted by Moridar
    But I'm not willing to go that far!
    not on the first pin anyways
    Joe - 8703
    "Blackberryland is a much happier place than Palmville"

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

That's a bogus complaint and post on Engadget. Seems to me people are running out of things to pick apart about the 8100. If that keyboard is the same technology as my 7100t, I have used that model before getting the 8100. The keys have been fine for 14 months.

Moreover, this demo is pulling the keys outward with some force. Oh please... as far as I am aware most users push the keys inward not outward with a screwdriver.

And you know that old joke:

Patient: "Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this."

Doctor: "Well, then don't do that."

Engadget: "With a scribe or screwdriver you can stretch keys out of their sockets."

RIM to Engadget: "Then don't do that."

I also think it is more accurate to post the comments people made on Engadget. 90% of them said the post and pics were nonsense.

1. A lots of money for what ?

2. I love how these are all the exact same picture, but at a minutely different angle.

3. When does the key pop off? Come on, that is what everyone wants to see!

4. another reason I'll stick with my Treo for now. The 650's keyboard isn't the best, but i cant pull the keys out with a scribe like that.

5. Are you complaining about the keypad in general, or did a key actually come lose in some way after a short time? I could take the same picture with other keypads...can't argue that the soft/gel keys have a flimsy feel but is that the only complaint here?

Your pictures are actually impressive if you can pull a key that far out and it doesn't break off.

6. Did we really need 4 pictures of that? Give me break.

7. The keys feel pretty good to me. I don't get this complaint. I would b**^&$ more about how easily this thing scratches. I already picked up 2 and no idea how. Reminds me of a nano. But still, the Pearl rocks.

8. This is a post I'd expect from BBHub, but not Engadget... come on guys, is this really newsworthy?

9. Very weak "article". Come on now, I know you can make up better things then the keyboard to make fun of...the not ringing thing was great but this is just lame. 0/10.

10. I have a BB 8700 and played with a friend's Pearl. I didn't notice anything wrong with the keypad and thought it felt fine. I don't see what the big deal is with this though, you can do that with computer keyboards which I spend infinitely more time using than phone keypads. and as Ari said, the images actually make it look like the keypad can take more abuse than the most other phones I've seen. Even so, I'm all over the 8800 when it comes out.

11. I suspect that if you pick at ANY keyboard with a sharp steel punch, you will succeed at removing the keys....

12. Careful, if Blackberry is anything like Samsung, you may want to wear gloves so they cant scan your fingerprints off of the pictures and sue you pearl-hating' self.

13. Slow news day?

14. wow, what a waste of a post. I bet if you shove a screwdriver in any phones keys you'd have the same reaction.

15. Umm... that's the same keypad technology as on both the 7130r and 7100r/t. what's the point of this article again?

16. You're kidding - a quality keyboard isn't included with a phone that can be had for $49 after rebates? Quick, get me Mike Wallace on the phone - there's a story here somewhere.

17. I'll stick with my full QWERTY keyboard on the Cingular 8125, thank you very much.

18. That's pretty much how all blackberry keyboards are.

Older models use a thin sheet of plastic formed into the keys that sits on top of a set of plastic stubs embedded into rubber membrane, pretty much the same as every membrane keyboard out there these days. take apart most of the keyboards shipping today and you'll see something similar unless it's one of those retro buckling spring deals.

The 8100's tight on space so they probably skipped the separate layer for the keys this time.

As your pictures seem to show, even when gouged with a large flathead screwdriver the key is still attached, so do you have a complaint besides the mushy feel?

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

What's next? "Blackberry case is made of thin plastic. Does not stand up to a blowtorch, see how it melts. Don't buy the 8100."

dwc
    dwc no está en línea Stack level 2

I think the plastic film prevents water and dust entry into the guts of the pearl. I don't see a problem. Would one rather have a complex mechanical lever action with little plastic hinges in it like laptop keys?

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

I agree with sanfrancisco, my 7105t keys do the same... Not to worried about it...
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

TexRob no está en línea Stack level 2

Two points:

I like the way the keys feel on the pearl. It's hard to press hard buttons on such a small device, so I welcome the floating nature and soft press of the 8100 keys. The keys still engage positively, and that's what matters to me.

Second thing is that this seems to be more of a two sides of the fence thing. Basically, there are a large percentage of BB users who hate what the Pearl stands for. The Pearl is the first device to bridge the gap between the business market and consumer market. For those of us who need a great phone and PDA, that will fit in your pocket, this is it. So my point is, there are some people who are not going to accept the 8100 or other future non QWERTY blackberries. Those people seem to be hunting down things to rag on the 8100 about. Personally, I have not had any lockups, OS crashes, button problems, etc. I've loaded about 8 apps so far, and have had zero problems. Sure, I'm not the most powerful user, but I am not just using it to make calls and check email. I don't doubt there are some problems, but I feel they have been grossly overhyped/or affect a very small percentage of users.

Just my 2 cents.

natemack no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)
    I just got the pearl and the buttons aren't really bad at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast