My AT&T 8120 Review Fit and Finish This Pearl is better in many ways than ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

BlackBerry Pearl 8120 Review

Advertisement

My AT&T 8120 Review

Fit and Finish

This Pearl is better in many ways than the first version I bought when they were first released. The finish of the paint, seems to be a bit more even. Rather hard to explain but when you see one you will see what I mean. It leads me to believe that it's a bit thicker. Also the fit of the keys is better when compared side by side with my current 8100, the small gaps between each key is even and the characters on the keys appear sharper. The battery cover is equal to the very precise fit of the cover on my Curve 8310. Not semi loose as my original 8100. There is NO creaks or creaks at all, even when squeezed rather hard. The side rails fit perfectly flush with the body. No gaps like the prior 8100. While it's possible that this will change and the phone body will loosen up, I rather doubt it. My 8310 has not and this phone seems to have that same rigid feel to it.

Display

The clear cover over the display appears to have a slight tint, which gives it a very expensive look. It also has more gloss than the 8100 model. As usual I will not be covering it with a screen protector as I simply put a coat of Novus Plastic Polish on it which made it even richer looking, almost like glass. Like my existing BB's the polish repels dust, fingerprints, and is so slippery that it resists scratching. Illumination of the display is just a bit brighter than that of my 8100. Also the clarity of icons, text and pictures seems a bit better. Perhaps it's all in my mind.....or not.

Keyboard

This is clearly a far superior keyboard to the 8100. One of the most noticeable and appreciated improvements, since the 8100 keyboard was just too wobbly for me. I can only guess that they must have changed the makeup of the rubber membrane the keys are mounted on. There is little if any noticeable wobble on this phone, whereas my 8100 has lots of looseness and wobble in each key. Not only that it's the third 8100 I've had, so I know it's not just this one. Since I have relatively large hands the 8100 was only an occasional use phone at best for me. This phone is 100% usable, which really makes me happy as I love SureType and enjoyed it on my 7130c. It's simply too soon for me to gauge how fast I will be on this as compared to the 7130c. However while I'm sure I will remain much faster on the 7130c due to it's larger well spaced keys, this 8120 will work fine. Especially since it will still be a secondary BB to my 8310 which is (for me) the finest, most ideal BlackBerry I've had the pleasure of owning. This considering that I've had every new BB produced over the last two years, says a lot for the 8310.

Wi-Fi

Every bit as good and as strong as my 8820. This is especially great for me as I use wireless everywhere, everyday. So it's a bonus that will offset the somewhat cramped size of the keyboard. And yet I only say that because I constantly use email and therefore keyboard size will always be an issue for me. That said the bonus of the smaller size is that I never put a BB on my belt. They go into my pocket and this phone will nearly disappear in ones pocket.

Battery Life

No clue... it's only 4 hours old.

Phone Clarity and Call Quality

Here is an area that this phone excels in. While I cannot say that it's superior to my 8310, it's every bit as good. I drove around and placed quite a few calls before writing this report and the phone performance was very impressive. Another plus as I will most probably make more calls on this than my others, since this will be my weekend BB. And to be fair I must give some of the credit to AT&T as they have made constant improvements over the last year to the point where I have not had a dropped call in the last 9 months. Very impressive for what is essentially just a radio.

User Interface

In a word... Ideal.
    While not as flashy or colorful as the “entertainment phones” once again, RIM proves they know what they are doing and the overall speed has picked up a bit, as well as maintaining the much proven ease of use. Since I've had a lot of new BB's I'm getting faster and faster at setting them up. This one was no exception. I inserted a new SanDisk 4GB microSD card, and formatted it after loading the OS onto the desktop along with the Desktop Mgr. At that point I moved all my pictures and files from my laptop over to the BB. Setup went fast, smooth, and flawlessly.
    I'm not experiencing any of the issues such as rebooting etc, that I have seen posted here on the forum. I do believe it's a matter of the sequence of events during setup.

Multimedia

The music player is wonderful, every bit as good if not a touch better than my new iPod. Since I had a lot of music on my 8310, it was a snap to copy that over from my laptop to my 8120. My existing pictures look good, and the ones this phone takes seem to be equal to my 8310. Once I have more time with it I will have a more definitive result. Beyond that I have not had time to explore these features further.

The Verdict

After spending the last three hours with this phone, uninterrupted, I am very impressed! As you regular Stacker's know, I'm super picky and this phone has passed the initial testing and evaluation with flying colors. Beyond that, quite frankly it has made such a favorable impression on me that I will probably be using it much more than I anticipate. One of the most compelling aspects of this phone is the SureType input method on a greatly improved keyboard. It may indeed turn out to be a better fitting keyboard (size wise) for me than I'm presently giving it credit for. After all I greatly prefer the smaller 8310 keyboard as compared to the larger one on my 8820. Why? because I prefer keys that are spaced apart, as opposed to keys that are side by side. However that said, I may change my opinion as I use this 8120 going forward.
    This is the best Pearl yet!

Cheers!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Very thorough review. Making me want the phone even more LOL I may post my own review a week or so after I finally get one of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I may post my own review a week or so after I finally get one of my own.
    -------
    I would enjoy reading a review from you, as we all have different perspectives.

So EricaJ, don't keep us waiting too long....

Cheers!
    Via BB 8120

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Great review. I have had a Pearl 8100c since December 2006, I absolutely love it. I am eligible for an uprgade next month. I may just use my 8100c until it kicks the bucket and then upgrade to the 8120 or the Pearl GPS model.

Quote Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
    I may just use my 8100c until it kicks the bucket and then upgrade to the 8120 or the Pearl GPS model.
    ------
    Thanks walds,

I'm sure you would truly appreciate the improvements in the 2nd gen Pearl.

I have an 8310 with GPS & if that's important to you, I can say from nearly 6 months experience with BB GPS that you will be delighted.

Keep us posted, as I have always enjoyed your contributions in the past!

Cheers!

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Thanks for the follow-up. I don't have a need for Wifi and I am not near many Wifi hotspots, so I think the 8310 would suit me well.

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    ------
    Thanks walds,

I'm sure you would truly appreciate the improvements in the 2nd gen Pearl.

I have an 8310 with GPS & if that's important to you, I can say from nearly 6 months experience with BB GPS that you will be delighted.

Keep us posted, as I have always enjoyed your contributions in the past!

Cheers!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I will be using my upgrade within 4 weeks. Then my review will come.