Hello all, I just joined Pinstack. Glad to be here. This past Friday (May 25th, ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Fallen_Afflict no está en línea Stack level 1

BlackBerry Pearl 8100 - Freezing up

Advertisement

Hello all, I just joined Pinstack. Glad to be here.

This past Friday (May 25th, 2007), I bought a BlackBerry Pearl 8100. Everything was going good and I got everything set up on it. This past Sunday, I was downloading Yahoo! Messenger for my BlackBerry. I finished the download and it prompted me for a reboot. I rebooted it and it pulled up a screen with a rotating hour glass.

It's been doing this since about 2:30 Sunday afternoon (currently 2:45 AM, Tuesday morning). I would have taken it in earlier, but my local Cingular store has been closed Sunday and this Monday (Memorial Day). I've done quite a bit.

Here are the following measures I have taken:

1. I have tried a soft reset (couldn't get it to work, nothing happened).
    2. I tried to turn off my phone (it won't turn off).
    3. Taken out the sim card.
    4. Pulled the battery out for different intervals of time.

I would appreciate any help that could be provided. Trying to see if I can save a trip to the Cingular store. Thanks all. Also, apologies if this has been a posted problem before, feel free to flame, lol.

-Fallen_Afflict

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: BlackBerry Pearl 8100 - Freezing up

Here man, sorry to hear about your troubles. Try this thread.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...uter_wont.html

EDIT:
    I think this thread may help you too.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...l_died_me.html
    Last edited by reddog187; 05-29-2007 at 05:00 AM.

DunkHype no está en línea Stack level 3

take out the battery, wait 30 seconds and just let it load. i always thought that it was frozen but you just have to be patient, mine take about 4-5 minutes.

RedDog187, I went to the first link (the 2nd one inevitably went to the 1st link) and ok, so there are no applications appearing. So I can't further the instructions via the Application Loader. I go to Backup and Restore and set up the options as the instructions said, but it won't let me Backup or Restore. Bleh...

DunkHype, I have taken the battery out for up to 15 minutes, and it has not been an effective method. Thank you anyway.

DunkHype no está en línea Stack level 3

if none is working, i believe you should go to your cingular store and show them, im pretty sure they would give you a new one.

PIN/ID
    STACK

So are you getting the Hourglass of doom or not? If you are then follow the instructions in the first link.
    The second link was just an example of the same issue you are having. I thought it would have been of some help.

EDIT: What you are doing in the first link is reloading the OS from scratch.

DunkHype, I believe I'm going to end up doing that. Hopefully they will.

RedDog187, I understand what all of it is, but it won't let me do a Backup or Restore. I can't complete all the instructions because it won't allow me to do either.

PIN/ID
    STACK

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure you're just using the APP LOADER to do this. NOT the Backup Restore.

In those instructions, it tells me to go through the Application Loader, select the programs that I have (None are listed, simply tells me to add some programs, therefore I can't go further in the Application Loader), and then don't press "Finish" but rather choose Advanced and set the options and then backup. So yeah... I'm kind of "stuck" if you will.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Have you installed an OS on your PC?

Natasha no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ASK NICE

Quote Originally Posted by DunkHype
    if none is working, i believe you should go to your cingular store and show them, im pretty sure they would give you a new one.
    hey there...I don't know how it works in the states but it wasn't that easy for me in canada...I brought my phone in to the store a month back and the guy just stared blankly at it and told me to call customer service...no help in the store...they wouldn't replace it. I called customer service and they sent me a new phone via ups..took 3 days to arrive..not too bad..I guess

Just curious...Do pearls not all come with Yahoo messanger? Mine did...
    Last edited by Natasha; 05-29-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Afflict
    In those instructions, it tells me to go through the Application Loader, select the programs that I have (None are listed, simply tells me to add some programs, therefore I can't go further in the Application Loader), and then don't press "Finish" but rather choose Advanced and set the options and then backup. So yeah... I'm kind of "stuck" if you will.
    As reddog said you need the handheld software installed on the OS. The first link only works on the Application Loader not the backup and restore. If you do not have your info backed up previously the info is toast.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by tashacash

Just curious...Do pearls not all come with Yahoo messanger? Mine did...
    Most pearls do not have yahoo messanger. TMO pearls have the OZ instant messenger which blows and the rest you have to go to the mobile.blackberry.com to get it.

I myself would just get Jivetalk.

Nia07 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    401e8c40

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by tashacash
    hey there...I don't know how it works in the states but it wasn't that easy for me in canada...I brought my phone in to the store a month back and the guy just stared blankly at it and told me to call customer service...no help in the store...they wouldn't replace it. I called customer service and they sent me a new phone via ups..took 3 days to arrive..not too bad..I guess
    That's crazy. I have gotten exchanges overnight when taking phones to my local T-Mo store AND calling ito CS. Heck, just last month I had a new Pearl overnighted by UPS after my original Pearl died on me.

The only exchange recently that was not overnight was when I replaced a 7105t with my first Pearl. That took 3 or 4 days I think. It must work differently here in the US and Canada.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-31-2007 at 01:05 AM.