Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know there might be a howl of "well I have no problem with it..." ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Swiss Admiral no está en línea Stack level 2

Post BlackBerry Needs Touch-screen Capability - Discuss

Advertisement

I know there might be a howl of "well I have no problem with it..." resulting in this post, but there's simply no getting away from the fact that ALL BB keys are too small and all RIM devices would benefit from touch-screen technology. In fact moving to BB from Windows Mobile (on my HTC), touch-screen is probably the key feature I'll miss - SMS, shifting from one App/programme to another etc.

Does anyone know if RIM/BB have any plans to move to touch-screen? If so, when?
    "So tell me, what gave away the fact that I'm a Luddite?"

"Oh not much...but your undying profession of faith in quills and ink may have clinched it..."

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: BlackBerry Needs Touch-screen Capability - Discuss

Personally, I hope they keep releasing keypad stuff because I like the ability to know what I've typed without always looking. I don't want a special menu for numbers or symbols. :-S

Smile Re: BlackBerry Needs Touch-screen Capability - Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by adam917
    Personally, I hope they keep releasing keypad stuff because I like the ability to know what I've typed without always looking. I don't want a special menu for numbers or symbols. :-S
    I would have thought that whether touch-screen or keypad you'd have to at least look at what you're doing?

There is no 'special' menu for numbers &/or symbols on e touch-screen - you simply hit the 'soft' keyboard and off you go.

"Oh not much...but your undying profession of faith in quills and ink may have clinched it..."

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I'd rather not have a touch screen. It eats more battery and is really just something else to go wrong. I find the keyboards on the 75XX,72XX and 87XX series BB's to be a good size. Sure, the keys on the pearl are small due to the size of the phone. BUT, there's no excuse for the keys on the 88XX series IMO.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta
    I'd rather not have a touch screen. It eats more battery and is really just something else to go wrong. I find the keyboards on the 75XX,72XX and 87XX series BB's to be a good size. Sure, the keys on the pearl are small due to the size of the phone. BUT, there's no excuse for the keys on the 88XX series IMO.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Good points mate.

The reason I punted this is that I chose an Xda Exec (actually the OEM'd/badged HTC device), on the grounds that it had a full VERY well proportioned QWERTY keyboard and the correct sized screen - see picture below:

Now all fine and dandy...until I discovered that a) the addition of the keyboard gives the device the form-factor and profile of a house brick, and b) I never used the QWERTY keyboard after I found the touch-screen equivalent.

So, BlackBerry came a looming after various conversations with my colleagues who use them. I just feel that all the attactions and benefits of the 'Berry would be enhanced with the addtion of the touch-screen capability.
    Last edited by Swiss Admiral; 09-12-2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Typo's

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I really dislike typing on the iphone's touchpad. I'll stick w/ keyboarded blacberries.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Maybe some day they will. I'd like for it to be a completely un-Blackberry design though. For some reason I'd like a full screen touch screen if anything at all. Usually a device with a screen and fold out keyboard tend to be thick. The phone you posted would be an ideal setup, but then no one would be walking up to me saying "is that the Blackberry Fold?" Sorry I just made up a model name there.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberspastic
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I really dislike typing on the iphone's touchpad. I'll stick w/ keyboarded blacberries.
    I know what you mean - I've got the fingers of a navvy, but that's where the stylus comes in. I've heard repeated claims that getting used to the iPhone's 'type-two-when-you-want-one' key is a pain, so the stylus's point-point accuracy is a boon.

deepdish no está en línea Stack level 6

This really is all an issue of prefference. I have no problem with bb sure type. I don't think I would like the touch screen all that much

Thumbs up Re: BlackBerry Needs Touch-screen Capability - Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta
    Maybe some day they will. I'd like for it to be a completely un-Blackberry design though. For some reason I'd like a full screen touch screen if anything at all. Usually a device with a screen and fold out keyboard tend to be thick. The phone you posted would be an ideal setup, but then no one would be walking up to me saying "is that the Blackberry Fold?" Sorry I just made up a model name there.
    Being honest, I agree with the sentiment I've highlighted above - and whether we like it or not, one day, all/most personal communications devices will be touch-screen: cuts down on the manufacturing costs (parts) and allows the manufacturer to concentrate on getting the software right and bug-free. Afterall, touch-screen isn't exactly rocket science or 'new' technology - it's been around since the 80s.

And besides, you can display more info on a larger screen - that being the whole point behind personal communications.

Smile Re: BlackBerry Needs Touch-screen Capability - Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by cubfan1247
    This really is all an issue of prefference. I have no problem with bb sure type. I don't think I would like the touch screen all that much
    You're absolutely right on the personal preference approach - but there's something to be said for Apple selling 1 million iPhones (completely touch-screen) in 74 days (and I'm no friend of Apple...with the possible exception of the iPod/iTunes).

k2daizzer no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~learn to use the edit button please

Question Re: BlackBerry Needs Touch-screen Capability - Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by k2daizzer
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~learn to use the edit button please
    That to anyone in particular, or were you just shooting the breeze?

#1 BBFreak no está en línea Stack level 2

I'd rather keep the keyboard. I've had pocket pcs before I became a Blackberry freak and I couldn't stand the stylus nor having to deal with the problems that happened often with the screen.

Question Re: BlackBerry Needs Touch-screen Capability - Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by #1 BBFreak
    I'd rather keep the keyboard. I've had pocket pcs before I became a Blackberry freak and I couldn't stand the stylus nor having to deal with the problems that happened often with the screen.
    What 'problems' with the screen would these be then? Can't say I've ever had one in all the time I've been using one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast