Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Before I start, I want to say that I really do like this phone. It ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Flapjack no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry Gripe List

Advertisement

Before I start, I want to say that I really do like this phone. It is the first phone that I actually do not want to trade in for another phone... from any carrier, and that's saying something.

Still, there are some annoying things about it. I've been trying to make an all-inclusive list to compare it with fixes/feature additions on new OS updates, but I can't seem to remember them all when I sit down.

That being said, here's my list so far. If anyone knows ways to get around these, or just feels like adding to the list, please reply back in the thread:

- No video capture (God, I hope it gets added through firmware updates later on)

- Squished BB messenger pictures when viewed from sender. You have to save them and reopen to see them normally.

- No easy way to close apps w/o pulling the battery. Normal power cycle does nothing.

- Can't turn off camera shutter sound. Hard to take cute pics of the kids while they're sleeping...

Mail Problems

- Everytime I reply to an email in my Outlook inbox, I get a second copy of the original message on my Blackberry. This is driving me absolutely nuts.

- Everything goes in the "Messages" folder. I would love to see separate email, BB messenger and SMS/MMS folders. That would be sweet.

- It would also be wonderful if when you delete/move email on the PC, if they would also delete/move from the BB (though this is probably more of a BIS vs BES issue)

- Can only access root Inbox folder. I have rules that automatically forward stuff. For example, message board replies that automatically go to a different folder through the Rules Wizard in Outlook, deleted items, etc...

- Once you delete an email from the phone, it's gone forever (no deleted items)

- No Yahoo support

That's it for now. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff. Reply away.
    Last edited by Flapjack; 03-06-2007 at 02:39 AM.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Re: Blackberry Gripe List

To the shutter sound.. there's a way around that by having a headset piece in and playing music then pausing the song and taking the picture then (or while song is playing), but by law, all phones sold in the US are supposed to have the shutter sound unable to be disabled.

Sadly people aren't annoyed because they can't take pics of their kids, more like they want to take pics of other people's kids... and hot unsuspecting women on esculators.

Yeah, I read that fix somewhere. Big pain in the ***. For the perv going around taking pics of women, that may work fine.... but for the spontaneous snoozing kid shot, it doesn't.

Also, regarding the "law" thing, I've heard people talk about it, but won't believe it until I read it. All my Verizon phones let me shut off the shutter. Besides, normal cameras (which take MUCH higher res pics) can shut of their sound. You can take plenty of pics with those if the subject is not looking. A law like that wouldn't make any sense....

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja
    To the shutter sound.. there's a way around that by having a headset piece in and playing music then pausing the song and taking the picture then (or while song is playing), but by law, all phones sold in the US are supposed to have the shutter sound unable to be disabled.

Sadly people aren't annoyed because they can't take pics of their kids, more like they want to take pics of other people's kids... and hot unsuspecting women on esculators.

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

This is in the 8100 forum and your profile says 8100, You said "-No Camera (God, I hope it gets added through firmware updates later on"

You meant Video recording ability right?

As for the Messages there is a Seperate folder for every account being pushed to your BB

When closing apps be sure to push the back button not the red end button, If you are doing this than most apps should be exited this way.

They might not support Yahoo, as in Cingular wont help you with it, But you can use Yahoo Messenger, Get Your Yahoo Email, and Use Yahoo GO!...

Yup. I just edited the post, sorry for the confusion.

There are no separate folders for SMS/MMS messages. If there were truly separate folders for each, I would completely hide the full "Messages" folder and just use the separate SMS/mail/BB folders....

Does Yahoo have any kind of Java app like Gmail does?

Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    This is in the 8100 forum and your profile says 8100, You said "-No Camera (God, I hope it gets added through firmware updates later on"

You meant Video recording ability right?

As for the Messages there is a Seperate folder for every account being pushed to your BB

When closing apps be sure to push the back button not the red end button, If you are doing this than most apps should be exited this way.

They might not support Yahoo, as in Cingular wont help you with it, But you can use Yahoo Messenger, Get Your Yahoo Email, and Use Yahoo GO!...

PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by Flapjack
    Yeah, I read that fix somewhere. Big pain in the ***. For the perv going around taking pics of women, that may work fine.... but for the spontaneous snoozing kid shot, it doesn't.

Also, regarding the "law" thing, I've heard people talk about it, but won't believe it until I read it. All my Verizon phones let me shut off the shutter. Besides, normal cameras (which take MUCH higher res pics) can shut of their sound. You can take plenty of pics with those if the subject is not looking. A law like that wouldn't make any sense....
    it applies to all new phonecams in '07 on, it is not retroactive (they don't expect nokia to recall phones in stores to add the feature). it was all over the news over a year and a half ago when it passed in the house.

-edit-
    might be 2 yrs by now.. my mind is getting oldddddd

PIN/ID
    spam=no

ahh found it. (thanks google)

It's part of the "Video Voyeurism Prevent Act" which passed in '03. It was amended in '04 to include camera phones.

research a lil deeper and you'll find about the shutter noise.

Hmm, I think you're wrong on this one. I tried the Verizon Razr, then the brand new red VX8500 (Chocolate), the VX8600 (flip version of Chocolate) and finally the VX9900 (EnV) and ALL alllowed you to turn off the shutter sound. The last three are fairly new, with the VX9900 only being out since this past Black Friday.

Here is a quote from MobileTechReview on the VX9900:

"The camera has several white balance settings including auto, various shutters sounds (you can disable the shutter sound if you wish) and color settings such as negative, sepia, solar and black & white."

it applies to all new phonecams in '07 on, it is not retroactive (they don't expect nokia to recall phones in stores to add the feature). it was all over the news over a year and a half ago when it passed in the house.

-edit-
    might be 2 yrs by now.. my mind is getting oldddddd

PIN/ID
    spam=no

I just explained that it's not retroactive..

These are brand new phones, though. The VX9900 just came out a few months ago!

Just saying.... I searched. I cannot find the law. I even searched the US Codes site to find the story. Nothing.

With the exception of the Razr (it's about 1 year old now), those phones are all less than 6 months old.

I just explained that it's not retroactive..

PIN/ID
    spam=no

it applies to all new phonecams in '07 on, it is not retroactive (they don't expect nokia to recall phones in stores to add the feature)
    EnV release - Q4 2006

Motorolla Q- Q4 2006

Motorola KRZR - Q3 2006

LG Chocolate - Q3 2006

The Video Voyeurism Act which was amended for additional devices such as camera phones & what led to the requirement for all new handhelds to make a noise when taking a picture (link below):

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquer...04&dbname=108&

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by Flapjack
    Yup. I just edited the post, sorry for the confusion.

There are no separate folders for SMS/MMS messages. If there were truly separate folders for each, I would completely hide the full "Messages" folder and just use the separate SMS/mail/BB folders....

Does Yahoo have any kind of Java app like Gmail does?
    Thats ok

Well there is not a seperate folder for one for SMS one for MMS, But if you are using certain themes there should be a seperate "message" folder and one named SMS/MMS.

Try the Vodafone today theme and the T-Mobile Pink/White theme.

Also you definetely should have a seperate Icon for each email address going to your BB.

There are quite a few IM applications out there that allow yahoo, JiveTalk, IM+, WebMessenger, Yahoo IM, Google Talk for BB.

Good Luck.

Ok, I reread your post and saw the "07 and on" part. I took notice to the "2 year" remark, which made me think this was implemented years ago.

Still, I do not see anything on that link that talks specifically on disabling shutter sounds... only on how the activity is illegal.

In fact:

The bill makes it a crime to capture an improper naked or near naked image of a person without his or her consent, and in such a way as to violate that person's privacy.
    Then....

"On March 30th, 2004, the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security voted in favor of an amended bill. The amended version is substantially identical to the original."

There is also no reference to 2006, 2007 or even 07 in there. Are you sure you posted the correct link?

EnV release - Q4 2006

Motorolla Q- Q4 2006

Motorola KRZR - Q3 2006

LG Chocolate - Q3 2006

The Video Voyeurism Act which was amended for additional devices such as camera phones & what led to the requirement for all new handhelds to make a noise when taking a picture (link below):

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquer...04&dbname=108&

Thanks for the help on email apps. Right now, I have the latest (I think) Cingular firmware on there, so not sure what theme you are referencing...

Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    Thats ok

Well there is not a seperate folder for one for SMS one for MMS, But if you are using certain themes there should be a seperate "message" folder and one named SMS/MMS.

Try the Vodafone today theme and the T-Mobile Pink/White theme.

Also you definetely should have a seperate Icon for each email address going to your BB.

There are quite a few IM applications out there that allow yahoo, JiveTalk, IM+, WebMessenger, Yahoo IM, Google Talk for BB.

Good Luck.

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

This is like watching C-SPAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast