hi all, im new to the bb community. please excuse my ignorance i recently got ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

masteryeoda no está en línea Stack level 2

blackberry freeware help!

Advertisement

hi all,

im new to the bb community. please excuse my ignorance

i recently got a pearl but im disappointed at the availability of freeware. with the palm, i was able to find a lot of 3rd party freeware. these seem to be rare for the bb.

im looking for a personal finance manager freeware for the bb. i wish to track my expenses for all my credit cards, bank accounts, etc

also, can someone recommend a good password manager with customizable fields?

thanx!

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: blackberry freeware help!

Dont know of any free expense tracker, maybe someone else will but for now if you visit wap.pinstack.com on your BB, in the downloads section there are some good free downloads. Berry 411, PicoNews, Google maps must haves.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

masteryeoda, Welcome to PinStack.

There is not the same Freeware support for the Blackberry Devices as there is for the Palm and PPC devices. The BB devices did not start out as PDAs but as email and messaging devices for businesses and government services. Because of this the freeware support was late in getting started. That being said, dfc gave some good information in his post.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hi master, welcome to pinstack. I have well over 50 different free downloads on my BB, and there are still some I have never touched. Take a look here at the pinstack.com downloads section, which should always contain the latest downloads.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/downloads.php

thank you for all your help!

ive checked out pinstack. ther eare some stuff i want but the critical personal finance expense application im looking for isnt there. i found trackIT expense. but that's not free.

im thinking of going back to palm os and getting a treo instead. any advice? im ure everyone feels that the bb is better than the treo (even the 680). the bb pearl definitely looks better than the treo, or for that matter, any other phone on similar lines.

what is your advice?

thank you very much!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Look in the 3rd party software section. There are a good amount of things there that are free. There is a sticky at the top that shows other free applications.

Also, you can check out some of the websites like getjar.com or midlet.org and see whats there, but you're doing so at your own risk, as some programs will not run on a Blackberry and will possibly crash it.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by masteryeoda
    im thinking of going back to palm os and getting a treo instead. any advice? im ure everyone feels that the bb is better than the treo (even the 680). the bb pearl definitely looks better than the treo, or for that matter, any other phone on similar lines.

what is your advice?

thank you very much!
    Not sure this is the proper place to ask about getting the Treo. Isn't that kinda like Scrooge walking into a meeting hall full of Santas? Nothing wrong with selecting a device based on programs it can run.

I know one girl who refuses to update her Palm because she is used to the Palm's programs. It's about 6 years old now, her PDA.

Seems like the 8100 might not be for you, notwithstanding its look and feel.

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by masteryeoda
    thank you for all your help!

what is your advice?

thank you very much!
    If it's really only the one application you need/want, pay for it! It will be cheaper than changing phones, I suspect...

bready no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2446C5F4

You also may consider that there are many j2me applications (designed for any java phone) that are compatible with the blackberry.

BReady

hi all,

thank you very much for your advice. since ive already ordered the bb pearl, i think i'll give it a try. for a start, it looks and feels better than any smart phone in the market now.

question 1 - does anyone know of a good password manager application? the one that comes with it but it doesnt have customizable or add on fields.

question 2 - it has a modem but doesnt have wifi as far as i know. does this mean that i can only get internet connectivity through my service provider? i cant use it in a wi fi spot? what does the modem do?

thanx!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

The modem capabililty allows you to connect a laptop or PC to the internet using the Pearl's Wireless connection. Just like the old dial up modems of the past, but somewhat quicker.

As to the Password manager App, there are a couple of third party Apps out there that do this also. I don't know all the features and can't even remember the names but check out the Third Party Apps Forum and the BB Reviews Forum for more info about them.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

mickblu no está en línea Stack level 1

My advice FWIW - avoid the Treo 680 at all costs. My Treo 600 and 650 were great, but the 680 crashes frequently, even with absolutely no added 3rd part s/w (press the green "send" key to accept an incoming call and the darn thing reboots right there and then, losing the call in the process and I had quickly become an expert in rebooting the darn thing which is also a pain because you have to remove the battery to do even a warm reboot and it takes forever to load the OS), and the Bluetooth is very erratic (not to mention totally dumb vs Pearls total voice recognition). My son and I have tried 3 of the 680s between us, and all exhibit the same, frustrating problems. So, despite being Palm users from waaaay back (Palm Professional!) we gave up and have switched to the Pearl. What a sweet machine. It's got a fair learning curve, and the UI isn't as good or intuitive as the Palm (my opinion) but I keep discovering new things the Pearl can do. Now if only the'll add video recording and it will be a perfect machine. (Voice recording is already available as a freeware download!)
    Last edited by mickblu; 04-18-2007 at 12:55 AM.

nismo510 no está en línea Stack level 1

I just got a pearl too and I'm looking for the same exact thing as you, my girlfriends little bro has a treo with all kinds of cool freeware apps on it, but let me know if you find anything like what you're looking for, I'm stuck for two years now so I've gotta get used to it. Other than that it's great so far!