Hello Stackers, Has anyone used their blackberry as a modem for internet access? If so, ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Mrsncr2002 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    305912AA

Smile Blackberry 8130 and BroadBand Access

Advertisement

Hello Stackers,

Has anyone used their blackberry as a modem for internet access? If so, how does it work? I'm sure it's not the fastest connection but it will give me access to the internet if i'm in the car etc. Thanks for your help.

Vatothe0 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have used mine quite a bit and find it useful.

I only need it once or twice every few months but it's worth the subscription for productivity boost.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

esfoad no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    317BBAA1
    I travel frequently and the $10 a month cost is way better than the $10-$14 a night charge at hotels. That's what I use mine for. The speed is adequate so it's a lifesaver.

jwhite4304 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am using the Verizon tether plan and at several times a month it saves me from either no access or very high day plans.

Jimbo

rrife no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'm using Verizon's Broadband Connect. I tried MobiShark to bypass fees from Verizon, but it wasn't reliable. FYI Verizon offers 3 BB plans and the price of BBA differs. Basically if you have 10MB Blackberry Service ($25) + 5GB BB Connect ($15) = $40....I'm not sure if you only get 10MB total or if you get 5GB, it shows both on the bill and the CS reps are clueless. The other option is Unlimited Blackberry Web & Email ($30) + 5GB BB Connect ($30) = $60....supposedly this will give you unlimited data on the phone and 5gb on your PC, again the CS reps are clueless if it's 5GB total or just 5GB on the PC. Finally you can get Blackberry Unlimited ($45) + 5GB Connect ($15) = $60....supposedly this is the same as the Email & Web option, but when I questioned the CS reps on the price and description difference they were clueless.

Anyway, once you get past the inconsistent fees and descriptions and you're ok with paying $60/mo for 5GB of data (I pay $19/mo for my 8mpbs cable internet connection), all you need to do is install the VZ Connect software, connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable and click the connect button in the software and it connects (it works through bluetooth also, but I couldn't get it to work right).

Once you're connected you'll find that the speeds are so-so. I used a hacked xv6900 w/ Rev A and it felt like I was surfing the web on a bad 1.5mpbs DSL connection.....the Blackberry feels much much slower. SpeedTest.net claims I get roughly 400kbps down & 200kbps up, but it feels much slower than that. My biggest complaint is the inconsistency in the speed...sometimes it'll load a page like cnn.com in under 10 seconds, but then spend 3 minutes loading a small 12kb image on the page. In terms of reliability, the VZ connection manger works every time, so I'll give them that. If you want a permanent wireless internet solution, then you're probably better off getting a Sprint Broadband connection from their SERO site, it'll cost $10-$15 more, but it'll be faster, more reliable and they've got fewer restrictions on their "unlimited" plan.

woogexx no está en línea Stack level 1
    it comes in handy I suppose.... however I refuse to pay ANOTHER 30 dollars on top of my BB internet 30 dollars subscription. Ill go to mcdonalds or starbucks and use their internet before i give vzw another 30.......

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Almost as fast as my AT&T DSL...except when it comes to streaming large movie files...a little slower.

lat_05_69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    How do you set that feature up for your phone? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

rrife no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by lat_05_69 View Post
    How do you set that feature up for your phone? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    On Verizon you can download/install the VZ Connection Manager and follow the wizard or w/o installing anything you can connect the BB via USB or Bluetooth to your computer, that should add a DUN Modem on a random COM port. Setup a new dial-up connection in windows, use the BB's assigned COM port as the modem, for the phone number use #777, for the username use [your_phone_number_goes_here]@vzw3g.com, for the password use vzw, click connect. Once it's connected and you attempt to visit a site you'll be prompted to add the BBA service to your account.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    Customer support will walk you through the steps if you cant figure out how to get it connected.
    i3-2100, 8GB, 90GB Vertex3, 1.5TB HDD, HD6850OC, 23"ACER LED Monitor (Gaming Rig)
    1.83ghz Macbook 1,1 (School work, Websurfer)
    4GB Mini, 2GB Nano, 30GB Video, 8GB iPhone 3GS, iPad1
    BB Bold 9900

brucebeh no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    301EEFD8
    I tether my blackberry when I'm in a location with no wifi and it works great. Last I checked I got steady 2 megabit down on speedtest.net which is not bad at all.

Visiting websites feel like its on broadband, you tube and everything streams fine.

KrymsynDragon no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    318AAAFB
    Does anyone have US Cellular? I'm going on vaca with a long drive and I need a way to get online because its going to be a long trip. Any ideas?