Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have an 8100g on UK T-Mobile and in the last few days it has ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

idh
    idh no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Bizarre Problem - !!

Advertisement

I have an 8100g on UK T-Mobile and in the last few days it has started to send messages, calls, go through menus etc all by itself!!!! - eg, 35 blank email replies sent without my knowledge. Sometimes the menu will not stay up and will instantly go to one of the actions and do it - without my pressing buttons. I can put it on a desk and see it scroll through menus, going round in circles.

If I bring up the address book it often starts phoning a number before I get to the one I want.

If I remove/replace the battery it goes ok for a while.

There is plenty of free memory.

It has OS v.4.2.0.51 (platform 2.2.0.32)

I am aware I can upgrade the OS, but I don't want to do this as yets as it may invalidate the T-mobile UK warrenty (it is only 3 months old).

Any advice welcome.
    Thanks
    Ian

klubhead no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Bizarre Problem - !!

Hmm.. i would try calling tmo and explaining, if there's no current OS update for tmo UK users they should have no problem replacing it

if you don't feel like doing that.. an OS upgrade would most likely fix it

its up to you mah man
    Last edited by klubhead; 11-15-2007 at 10:55 AM.

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

have you tried a battery pull?
    2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
    - Grabel's Law

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

I agree try a battery pull and if that does not fix it i would definitely reload the OS. Sounds like a software problem, albeit a weird software problem. Not the first time i have seen it in fact it seems to be creeping up more often. There were a couple of like post a couple weeks back with different models of BB. In case you need direction here are some links that should help.
    How to update your software
    Software links by carrier
    Post back with any questions. Welcome to the Stacks.

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

also there is no known case of some one voiding their warranty because of a software upgrade they did...only if you start messing with firmware will you void your warranty...

the OSs are made for RIM first and foremost...the carriers are second stringers so don't worry that you haven't been in contract long enough to update your OS...always UPDATE

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You will not lost the warranty of the BB if you use the OS from updateservice.t-mobile.net

idh

Thanks everyone for advice. I am doing battery pulls - which gives temporary relief. This seems to be an intermittent problem - it has been ok for a couple of days. T-mobile have sent me a repair service envelope. So I'll try doing the OS myself and if it fails I'll send it off - although being an intermittent problem I have no confidence in the repair service curing it.

By the way, I have also deleted a freeware application - Voice Recorder (VR+) - which I was trialling. Maybe that was causing a problem.

Thanks again
    Ian

klubhead no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by idh
    Thanks everyone for advice. I am doing battery pulls - which gives temporary relief. This seems to be an intermittent problem - it has been ok for a couple of days. T-mobile have sent me a repair service envelope. So I'll try doing the OS myself and if it fails I'll send it off - although being an intermittent problem I have no confidence in the repair service curing it.

By the way, I have also deleted a freeware application - Voice Recorder (VR+) - which I was trialling. Maybe that was causing a problem.

Thanks again
    Ian
    i've had VR+ for a loooong time now.. hasn't caused any problems for me

jbean7916 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    245A99C3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~do you happen to carry your BB in your back pocket? I've noticed mine does this for a good 15 to 20 mins after i've had it in my pocket! My best guess is that when in the pocket, the pearl is continously pressed down causing the sensor to "stick". I blow the dust outta the trackball and leave it out flat and it usually fixes itself!

PIN/ID
    242E7D27

idh: you don't need T-mobile to send you anything in order for you to update your OS...go onto T-mobile's website...insert your phone number and password to log-in...then go to support and select your phone from the list of BB devices...from there choose support for my device and there will be a brand new Desktop Manager and Operating System available for download...just be sure you completely uninstall all previous versions of DM and the OS from your computer before you install the new ones onto it...this helps ensure that you get a clean install of both onto your computer...from there delete the vendor.xml file from where you installed the OS then let the beauty of DM take over and update your BB...hope this helps...post back with results

idh

Good point about carrying it in my pocket. I wondered about this. It was like a queue of instructions/key presses were being actioned. I have been ok for 3 days now - when it has been on a desk or in a cradle almost the whole time. Looks like I will have to get a case. I will try the OS upgrade (and reinstall VR+).
    Thanks again.
    Ian

idh

Problem update - I have installed the new OS, cleaned the trackball, got a leather case for the pocket and it's still not right. I have the menu not staying on problem now - I notice another poster has mentioned this one. So it's back to t-mobile to see if they are willing to replace it. :cry:

PIN/ID
    242E7D27

sorry to hear that...they most definitely will replace it...let us know how it goes with the new phone

dogNamedMerl no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E19E6C

Here's a new idea...
    I've recently been hiking with my Pearl in my pocket on a rainy humid day. I experienced exactly the same problem which seemed to be crosstalk between the call/menu/back/trackball buttons. The behavior was intermittant. Battery pull and trackball cleaning did no good.

Finally, I hypothesized that there was moisture trapped somewhere inside. I left it overnight in a dry place with good airflow with the battery cover off and battery out. By the next morning, it was fine.

Could your pocket be sweaty or humid? Maybe where you use it?

In my case it was almost certainly the moisture.

Cheers!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hello all. I am having this same problem too. The 'enter' sensor seems to activate a whole lot, effectively making my 8100 useless. It's behaving as if the trackball were being pressed lots of times quickly. Is there any way to solve this problem? This is on a 2nd replacement unit my carrier sent me and they nor RIM do not seem to want to replace the unit a 3rd time.

So it looks like I need a DIY solution. I put a different trackball in from a known good unit and the problem still happens. It seems this problem may be hard to solve if a new trackball assembly will not do the trick.

Thanks very much to whoever can help me with this...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast