i have recently ordered a pearl from at&t and have a few general question about ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sinister357 no está en línea Stack level 1

beginners questions about the pearl

Advertisement

i have recently ordered a pearl from at&t and have a few general question about this gadget.

1. what is the max memory (mini sd) will my 8100 will hold? i hear a lot of people say 2gig but there are a few post that said depending on the os version, it can hold up to 4 gig (even 8 if i remember correctly). assuming ill have the latest os, is 4gig a realistic number?

2. what is the average data usage for this phone because i want the cheapest data plan just to check my email but was wondering if 5mb/month ($10) is enough. 5 mb is basically nothing when you're surfing the net or downloading files so i'll keep those to a minimun. will i be okay?

3. if i don't get a data plan, will i still be able to send sms and mms? reason i ask is i heard it was no but my old sanyo phone throught sprint could send both sms and mms without a data plan. you just pay for the air time usage. same way with at&t?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Re: beginners questions about the pearl

If you upgrade to the latest OS you can use a 4gb sd card.

Most of the Stackers here use unlimited plans so its hard to say what the average data usage is. If you restrict yourself to the 5mb a month and exceed that, then you'll be paying the per use data and that can get very expensive. If you can afford it, I would go for the unlimited plan with ATT. I believe the cheapest one is $19.99.

I believe you need a data plan to send text and mms as with my plan it is included in my unlimited data plan. However ATT has different plans so if you don't get the data plan they do have other plans that would allow you to get just the text plan, not sure about mms. Some of our ATT reps here should be able to help you with that.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

iron07 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1

yes you will be able to use a 4 gig card with no problems. with the newest os. as far as how much data that something you will have to figure on. you will be able to send sms with out data and if you use tmo os 4.2.107 you will be able to mms with no data

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

2) you have AT&T - there is only one data plan for you to get (not counting the bundles with SMS etc). That is $29.99 for unlimited BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service). I'm not aware of a 5mb plan http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...erry®+Services

3) no data plan, no data. MMS is sent/received via data.
    Last edited by cliffr39; 01-01-2008 at 09:56 PM.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Meh! no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Wow att and their data rates seem high. Wow it makes TMO look cheap, and definately easy beings you get unlim data or nothing...
    Meh!

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Quote Originally Posted by Meh! View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Wow att and their data rates seem high. Wow it makes TMO look cheap, and definately easy beings you get unlim data or nothing...
    Meh!
    I wouldn't say it makes TMO look cheap...per se...just cheaper plans.
    I've been with ATT for over 10 years since they were US cellular and I have no problem paying their rates and am happy with their service and plans.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide