Last Friday I got new BB Pearl 8100 from T-mobile. I’ve played with phone features ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

icoggert no está en línea Stack level 1

BB Pearl 8100 vs Tmobile SDA

Advertisement

Last Friday I got new BB Pearl 8100 from T-mobile. I’ve played with phone features for a while now. I really like the design of the phone, but as well as most of you I also run into all of those bugs and problems with it. I am not using my phone to send any emails so I don’t have any Data Plans connected. As we all know that browser icon is hidden until you connect a Data Plan. So there is no way to use standard free e-Zone. (Well I am not sure that e-Zone is free, but I was always checking my gmail and yahoo from my old Sharp 150 free of charge). I am concerned about my trackball will stop working after my T-Mobile exchange policy period will expire. Also I don’t like a 3-4 second delay that I have to way before I start talking after pressing answer key. Trackball silence problem also happen to me and made me to miss several important calls. My phone never dial 911 while in my pocket, but instead it shutdown several times and also changed it self from vibrate to normal mode. Another thing that I don’t like is that this phone cannot vibrate and play tone at a same time. It will vibrate then play tone, but since I it suppose to vibrate three times according to my settings it will only play little bit of a ringtone. There is not only negative parts to Perl. I really like qwerty keyboard and a design of the phone. I like the camera with flash, even though its not able to take any videos. Also MP3 sound quality is great.
    I wonder what do you guys think of T-mobile SDA phone comparing to Perl? Is there is a way to open .doc, .xls, .pdf documents on perl and what kind of software can I download on it? Is there is a way to download software using my USB cable instead of internet? Is there is a way to use e-Zone without paying anything? I know SDA is running on WM5 and more powerful. Also it has build in wifi which will be a good thing, since we have wifi everywhere on our university campus, and since I have wifi at home. But SDA have a camera which sucks according to most of the reviews and MP3 sound quality is sucks as well.

Is any of you had a SDA before you got your Perl, and what do you think about it in comparison. Will I be stupid if I will take my Perl back to T-Mobile and get a SDA from them?

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: BB Pearl 8100 vs Tmobile SDA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~my bro had an sda and he end up returning it to get the sk3. Because it was too complicated for him. He was having a hard time setting it up.The SDA has a better sound quality than the sk3 in my opinion (dunno bout the pearl). If I were u I will try them both.

feelmaroon no está en línea Stack level 2

had an sda. as well as a q, a treo650, a sidekick 2 and an mda. the sda has excellent phone quality and the organizer worked really well for me. that's about all i can say to compare it to pearl. by far, hands down, my experience with the pearl has been head and shoulders about the other phones. stick to the pearl. get yours replaced. go to options and pull the sensitivity of the trackball to 40 or 60 percent and it works great. it opens everything pdf doc excel jpg...and the video works perfectly. the video plays amazingly. (check dfc420's thread on how to use it). get a data plan (the root point of owning a blackberry is email) and you can use the one touch scrolling walking maps built into the pearl. if you don't need email, go to sda but you'd be downgrading. wherever you'd have wifi, you'd have your laptop. that's a throwaway feature. each of the smarts has a selling point to them (moto q's seemless use with sling, treos touch screen, sidekicks real time messengers always on, sda's size. but when it comes down to having something that is everything, pearl, hands down.

Hey, is there is a way to use e-Zone on pearl? Or something to access a web without any Data Plans. I just not feeling like paying extra $20 a month. I am not really planing on using it, but just curious. I am not planing to use email on my phone, cause I have access to internet 24x7 from my desktop and laptops.

MagicFeather no está en línea Stack level 2

I honestly can say that getting rid of the SDA for the Pearl is one of the best things I've ever done. Before the SDA (6 months-replaced with Pearl), I had an MDA (3 weeks-screen cracked in my pocket), and before that a 7105t (1.5 years-dog ate it).

The things I like about the Pearl over any of the other phones:

1. Typing is EASY - suretype is simple and predictive, once you get the hang of it. Lame on SDA.
    2. Buttons are easy - SDA buttons are TOO SMALL. You get an email you want to respond too with an SDA, you start feeling sad for all the work you're going to have to do.
    3. Voice Recognition is very precise on Pearl. When you don't have to record a name for each individual person on your list, it saves you time. Very RIM. SDA requires a name record, which takes time.
    4. Trackball is superior to the stick on the sda.
    5. Size. The Pearl is lighter, thinner, and gosh, it sure is shiny.
    6. My email on SDA was SO LAME. Even after changing settings, any email I got would only download the first 25kb's. Imagine getting an important email for work, getting halfway through, and then seeing "Click here to download message next time you send and recieve". Lame. Pearl gets it all, the first time.
    7. Style. Pearl Pretty. SDA boring. Pearl reminds me of an Ipod shell. Smooth and sleek.
    8. WM5 vs RIM OS. RIM OS is simple, straightforward, and doesn't waste your time with loading all your email server information that most people don't understand like WM5 does.
    9. Video Quality. SDA plays back POORLY any video. MDA was slightly better. I rock out with videos without the problems other folks seem to be having. However, I have a prolevel editing system to output the files with so they play correctly, even at 24fps.
    10. Pearl is built for one-handed use. SDA requires you pay serious attention. Pearl is customizable in ways that SDA isn't. SDA is just dissappointing all the way around.

Ok, that's all for now. Some things the Pearl needs:
    -fix the ring in your pocket thing.
    -fix the no ring/vibrate simultaneously.
    -we need a list of compatible stereo headsets. The one I have doesn't work for some reason.
    -no Mac OS X support (or any mac OS, for that matter).

All in All, the Pearl is the best phone I've ever had. RIM addressed issues I had with the 7105t, and have raised the bar on style and function, once again. Bravo.

bendite no está en línea Stack level 2

I have an SDA and I used it for a couple months but went back to the Blackberry because it was more user friendly for me. The SDA would get a signal in places that no other phones could but I honestly would get an odd little headache when I held in up to my ear to talk...that can't be good. I also think the BES server is better than Activesync with Exchange 2003. With the SDA I had to use the task manager to kill programs that were running in order to save battery life. I think the SDA was a much better phone than the IPAQ 6315 I had but Windows Mobile still has a ways to go before it's as clean as the Blackberry OS. I got a Pearl yesterday and I am liking it very much but it's a little too soon to say that it's better than anything I have ever had. I was using a 7105 until yesterday and it was great. I wanted the Pearl/8100 for the MP3 playing feature which is also why I bought the SDA. It's really cool when you can go snowboarding and are able to get email, play music, and have your day ruined when clients call you...all on the same device. The media player on the SDA would drain the battery pretty quick, the lame joystick, and the headache thing are what sent me back to a blackberry.

That's my 2 cents.

Well, thank you guys for all of your participation. I think I got the idea now which will help me to come up with a wise desicion.