hey guys, now that we can have 4GB memory cards, do you think we will ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

roberto_baggio7 no está en línea Stack level 1

BB free maps?

Advertisement

hey guys, now that we can have 4GB memory cards, do you think we will ba able to put maps on our BB and have a GPS without using a data plan or just not using any data connection (since every MB used is so freekin expensive with rogers!)? I'm guessing that we didn't have this before since a Mapping software (for US and Canada) is over 1GB but now that we have 4GB we should be able to have a complete mapping app preloaded in our memory card. right?

let me know what you think!

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: BB free maps?

i dont think that is going to be possible.
    maps come from the satelite,and that requieres data
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

really?
    Thats weird because you can turn your laptop into a gps without having any connection to internet (thats what i read on internet!). all you need is a gps recevier and a map apllication (that is over 1GB in size).

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

I don't know about Rogers but with tmo I use google maps and don't have any problems.

But what you're saying sounds good. It might also be faster.

yeah, it should be much faster since your maps are already loaded into your memory. no need to download any info...

hashimjr1234 no está en línea Stack level 1

I've been searching for such a product, but I can't seem to find it. If there is a downloadable that side steps any data plans please post

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

At the present time, the BlackBerry OS will only recognize the media card as storage for media files. You can use either the Media Manager or M$ Explorer (with mass storage enabled on BB) to create custom folders to store documents, etc. However, you can't access them from the BB itself.

Maybe someday...........

hashimjr1234 no está en línea Stack level 1

here's hoping it comes sooner than later.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Even still, I can't imagine that it will ever work as well as a dedicated GPS unit. The applications on the BBs are solid, I don't knock them. But they are nowhere near as quality as my handheld Garmin unit with the map software installed. The BB maps with data and a GPS receiver can do a decent job with auto navigation, but if you use it on a regular (daily) basis, I think you'd like a dedicated unit much better. Hope thats not too far OT for this thread.

More OT, I've got North America loaded on my Garmin and it takes up approx. 2 GB. If you have a 4 GB, you'll have plenty of room for the maps should they ever develop that capability.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

dtx
    dtx no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    207B3A96

Try TeleNav.
    for $10 a month, Rogers gives you unlimited use of Telenav. It does use some data, but it's MUCH faster than Google Maps, or BB Maps, has 3D turn by turn navigation, with voice prompts. and it's $10 for unlimited, so you don't have to worry about your data plan being eaten up by mapping. Call 1-866-931-DATA to add it to your account, or visit a Rogers store.
    --
    DTx
    PIN: 207B3A96
    Bold 9000
    Rogers BIS
    OS 4.6.0.150

seafoam no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by ma077146
    At the present time, the BlackBerry OS will only recognize the media card as storage for media files. You can use either the Media Manager or M$ Explorer (with mass storage enabled on BB) to create custom folders to store documents, etc. However, you can't access them from the BB itself.
    I know mobipocket already lets you store books on the memory card and the application will read from that location. So it is possible now, I think RIM opened up the API earlier this year to allow this. You can also install application from the memory card like JAD/JAR files. Still can't install them to the memory card though.