Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can someone give me a comparison of these, pros and cons. I know 8830 has ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

shoppergirl no está en línea Stack level 1

BB 8830 vs Pearl 8130

Advertisement

Can someone give me a comparison of these, pros and cons. I know 8830 has Qwerty but no camera, etc. I know those things I want to know from people who own these or have tried them which has the best bang for the money and features.

I am concerned about ringtone problems on 8830 as well. Is screen too small on Pearl?

I am on Alltel.

gnab01 no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    23F21180

Re: BB 8830 vs Pearl 8130

Hi, shoppergirl. Here's my 2 cents worth. I've not heard of any ringer problems with the 8830. All the ones I've worked with seem to be working well and the owners like them. The screen on the Pearl is definitely smaller. Some of my users find out, after they have the Pearl for a while, they don't like the abbreviated keyboard and SureType. I have seen, occasionally, where the Pearl will switch back to MultiTap for some unknown reason. It's easy to correct, but a nuisance. What sort of ringtone problems have you heard about that is causing concern?

That the ringtones were really low and hard to hear if the device was in a handbag or jacket pocket.

kkwus74 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320FB874

i have both the 8830 and 8130 and i prefer the 8130 for sure...lol....suretype on the 8130 takes abit of getting used to but once used to it its awsome...........i have noy had any problems on the ringtone for the 8830....its as loud as ever.......the 8130 has a camera,video recording and voice notes which the 8830 does not....its also slimmer than the 8830.....if you prfer a device that is compact and packs more features than the 8130 is for you....if u prefer a bigger screen and a qwert keyboard.....go with the 8830....

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It's really a matter of personal preference for features specific to each device. You can compare them at Blackberry.com.

FF2
    FF2 no está en línea Stack level 2

You can find LOUDER ringtones for the 8830 (verizon's is the one with the problem)

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by shoppergirl View Post
    Can someone give me a comparison of these, pros and cons. I know 8830 has Qwerty but no camera, etc. I know those things I want to know from people who own these or have tried them which has the best bang for the money and features.

I am concerned about ringtone problems on 8830 as well. Is screen too small on Pearl?

I am on Alltel.

First off welcome to the forum. I am certain that you will find a wealth of information here. On to your questions, I hope that I can be of some assitance to you. I have Alltel as well and am very pleased with them. I have a BB 8830 and my sister has the BB 8130, so between us I am sure that we can answer most Alltel Blackberry questions that you may have. I personally love the 8830 because of the Qwerty keyboard and my sister actually likes her 8130 because of the sure-type keyboard. For me I would have to say that I don't really understand the purpose of the sure-type keyboard to a certain extent because I cannot type with both thumbs on it, so it seems to offer few advantages over a traditional keypad. But I would assume that you are a female so your fingers are probably smaller than mine. I think that the main decider for you should be the keyboard. If you like the sure-type keyboard, then go with the 8130 because it does have some features that the 8830 doesn't, like camera/video camera and voice recorder. Just so you know, you may want to wait to get a Blackberry because rumor has it that there will be a 83XX (Curve) coming out for CDMA networks. If you like the camera and the qwerty keyboard, that might be the way to go for you. Hope that helps. If you have any particular questions just let me know.

Thanks JR Rider...I have seen a lot of people raving about the Curve, guess it's on the Cingular network only now. So I have not researched it as yet since it was not an option on Alltel. But I am guessing it is sort of a marriage between 8130 and 8830. Any ideas on when it may be available? It is a short time, I may wait but otherwise may go ahead and get something. I am ready fora change.

Thanks again.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Coming from a long line of SureType devices (7100t, 7105t, 8100) I have yet to have a ringtone problem with my Pearl. In fact, I keep it off cause the first week I had my first Pearl (I've had 2 more since), it scared me half to death. I forgot I had the sound on and in my shirt pocket and I got a phone call while I was in class. It ended up being a wrong number anyway.

The keyboard (IF u play with SureType long enough) is a breeze for me anyway. I am able to type one-handed as well as two-handed.

For such a small phone, it sure packs a lot of features into it. I love it even though it has given me fits.

It's been a few years since I had a full keyboard BB (I had a 7730). I felt it was too heavy and I had to send the first one back due to bad signal. I was tempted to try the 8700g and 8800 when they came out but I decided not to.

Hope this helps.

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

It will be at least two months until Alltel gets the curve. Probably will be around June or July. U can check the curve out on bb.com. The curve is like a cross between the two phones.

Geez, I am ready to something and unfortunately I am not sure I want to wait. One reason is because when phones first come to Alltel, sometimes they still have glitches and most time the dates given for release end up being later because if they have too many glitches, Alltel delays the release. So June or July can turn into October.

Thanks again JR Rider although I am still not sure. I may go with 8830, have a cousin who works for an IT company and said the folks there have done some testing and found 8830 is better for folks in outlying areas which she and I both live. I think I may like Qwerty keyboard better than Suretype since I not a fan of T9 or whatever it is on Razr.

I know 8830 doesn't have standard headphone jack or come with a set of headphones like Pearl but I am concerned that since my eyesight is not perfect anymore that the screen on Pearl may be a little small for me. I have looked at both in the store but it's still hard to tell until you get it home and use it.

Guess if Alltel still has 15 day return policy, I could try it a week and see, and return for Pearl if I don't like 8830.

Thanks again JR for the info and update on possible Alltel Curve...

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~me I like suretype but when I go my 8830 I find mtself not wanting to use my old phone the 8830 is the way to go to me the only deciding factor for you should be camera or no camera oh and I can't get with the pearl screen size not for me

Yeah a few years ago the small screen and icons would not have bothered me but since I have become far sighted and don't see well close up, larger is definitely better. I just wish that the 8830 wasn't so expensive. That is one reason I considered the Pearl since it is less expensive.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Suretype, aka "kindergarten forever", is at most for the monolingual .

Wake up and Kick The Habit!

After about a week my right thumbnail had learned the doubleclicks and was merrily churning out posts like in QWERTY days of old

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

Well, I've had the 8100 Pearl and 8300 Curve...
    I've recently switched to another carrier (Verizon) and they only had two options for BBs. I went with the 8130 Pearl and my boyfriend went with the 8830. Turns out he hated the 8830 mainly because there is no camera and just hated the keys as well. (He has since returned it for something different). I played with it a bit and didn't really care for it.

1. It's HUGE; not girly at all and I looked like a retard holding it with my small hands.
    2. The keys are not so great; hard to press and just...weird.

I think that, being a girl, you would enjoy the pearl much more. It's so much cuter, smaller, AND it fits in small handbags and pockets (I hated not being able to put my Curve into small clutch purses).

Hope this helps..
    /~*brooke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast