I am a blackberry newbie and am having trouble installing the driver for my new ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lowellk no está en línea Stack level 1

BB 8130 - trouble installing driver for bluetooth keyboard

Advertisement

I am a blackberry newbie and am having trouble installing the driver for my new iGo bluetooth keyboard. The disc that came with it does not contain drivers for blackberry, only other OS's. So I took its advice and tried to download it by visiting their site on my phone. I tried this in opera mini and the BB browser. Both didn't work. Then I tried downloading onto my windows PC and installing using the desktop manager. It didn't work either. Below are more details of how it failed each way:

1) BB browser
    - I got to the page which has a link to the driver. Its extension is .jad. I click on that file and it says that it cannot be displayed, and do I want to save it. If I save it, it saves it to a location on my bb. I can then copy it to my computer, but don't know what to do with it from there.

2) opera
    - I go to the website and fill out a form similar to what I'd filled out on the bb browser, but it says unable to find an appropriate driver.

(ASIDE: why is it that certain pages only work in bb browser, but not opera? It seems that many pages can tell what browser is viewing them and will redirect accordingly. And in the case of opera, I often can't get to a page I want)

3) desktop manager
    - I downloaded the driver from the bluetooth keyboard website and installed it. It put a .alx file in c:/Program Files/... I open bb desktop manager and choose application loader. I click "add" and then choose my file within the Program Files directory hierarchy. When I click ok, it gives the following message: no additional applications designed for your application were found.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: BB 8130 - trouble installing driver for bluetooth keyboard

Hello lowellk, welcome to pinstack.

Did the device come with instructions? I'm not familiar with it.

1. Do you need a driver for it ? Can't you just pair the device with your BB and go???

2. Opera cannot download appllications...only the BB browser can do that.

3. So what files are you being told you need to load?

lowellk no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BB 8130 - trouble installing driver for bluetooth keyboard

Thanks for the quick reply!

1) I believe I need a driver with it. It comes with a driver disk and there are even screencaps of configuring the driver on the BB.

2) thanks. Any idea why the bb browser can't recognize the jad file?

3) Not sure I follow. I tried to load the alx file from desktop manager after installing the keyboard driver's setup.exe.

I have a feeling that perhaps the new pearl is not yet supported.

---- update

I looked on amazon's forums for the product and discovered that the server was using the wrong mime type for the jad file and that's why it was not recognized. So I downloaded a copy of the jad file from another location and it installed just fine. However, when trying to start the app, I get an exception. I am not sure the driver I installed was for the correct phone model. I will try to download the proper driver, put it on the web, and then go to that url with my bb. I may run into trouble with the mime type, but we'll see.

Ok, off to bed (for now)