Hi im new to this forum and new to blackberry's all together, actually this is ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

gablekevin no está en línea Stack level 1

BB 8100/Pearl as PC Modem

Advertisement

Hi im new to this forum and new to blackberry's all together, actually this is my first cell phone in almost 5 years. I just ordered a pearl from amazon with t-mobile and the unlimited bb service.

This might be a total noob question but i was wondering with the phone and plan i have would i be able to tether the phone via usb and use it as a modem for my computer in a sense having unlimited internet.

wobly no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BB 8100/Pearl as PC Modem

You will be able to do exactly what you described with your BB pearl. There are excellent instructions on this and other sites. Just remember to add the modem string.

gqnyc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E627BC

OK, ON WITH THE "HOW TO" - below this line

1. If you do NOT have the latest DeskTop Manager, first go to BlackBerry Upgrade and choose "get software".

2. Enter your cell number and download the latest Desktop Manager Version on to your computer. Do NOT install yet.

3. Before installing the Desktop Manager software just downloaded, completely delete your old version of Desktop Manager.

4. Reboot, then install the new version of DeskTop Manager you downloaded.

Now for setting up your BlackBerry to work with your notebook or desktop with an UNLIMITED use Internet connection [through your T-Mobile account]. Speed about 115k!!

First, let's simply check and note what com ports your BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed and is using on the computer.

On XP - Go to

<Start>

<Control Panel>

<System>

<Hardware>

<Device Manager>

Scroll down to <Ports>

On having installed DeskTop Manager, there should be 2 ports listed that say "RIM".

Simply write down which com ports are listed as being used by "RIM". Most likely (COM4) and (COM5).

Now close all these windows, you just wanted to see what com ports RIM was using.

Now let's set up the "phone number" or settings for your desktop to "dial" through your BlackBerry phone.

Open Desktop Manager and connect your Blackberry with your USB cable.

[If the phone does NOT connect automatically, on the Desktop Manager interface click <options>, then <connection settings>, then click <detect>. This should find your BlackBerry and connect the phone to the PC].

Now with the phone and PC connected [as indicated by the Desktop Manager saying at the bottom of the window that they are "connected:"

Go to <Start> Menu

Select <Control Panel>

Select <Network Connections>

Select <File> from the drop down menu

Select <Create a New Connection>

Select <Network Connection Wizard>

Select <Connect to the Internet>

Select <Set Up My Connection Manually>

Select <Connect Using a Dial Up Modem>

Under "Select A Device" select or check the box that is the RIM COM Port you noted from before, usually COM4 or COM5.

NOTE: Uncheck or "deselect" the other modem if that box is also checked [typically it's the dial up modem on your PC].

Click <Next>

In ISP name box name this new connection/setting anything you want, e.g., BlackBerry.

Click <Next>

In the Telephone Number, put <*99#.> Include the period. So you will type in an asterisk, 99, number symbol, and a period.

Click <Next>

Leave the User Name and Password boxes blank. Check the "use this account name and password." Check to "make this new connection your default connection" if you intend for it to be such. [most likely not].

Click <Next>

Select "Add Shortcut to Desktop" so you have the connection easy to access.

Click <Finish>

Now you have to set up the modem, it's just one entry.

Go to <Start> Menu

Select <Control Panel>

Click <Phones And Modems>

Click the <Modems> tab.

Select or highlight the COM Port/Modem you set up the BlackBerry with, typically COM4 or COM5. Note: may be listed as "Standard Modem"

Click <Properties>

Click the <Advanced> tab.

In the <Extra Initialization Commands:> box type this exact string:

+cgdcont=1,,"wap.voicestream.com"

Make sure you put the two commas, both quotation marks. Note: there are NO SPACES between the characters.

Click <OK> to save and back out of the settings menus and get back to your desktop.

gablekevin no está en línea Stack level 1

wow thanks for the quick and comprehensive answer this is great but just to clarify i dont have to have the tmobile unlimited internet plan the one thats $30 i have the unlimited blackberry service plan for $20 which includes unlimited internet and email.

Also as a follow-up will i be able to check my gmail account right on the phone and also will i be able to view full webpages with this phone like ign.com or digg.com

superkrai no está en línea Stack level 2

I have followed these steps exactly as above and get error 692 when computer tries dialing. Any ideas?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Quote Originally Posted by gablekevin
    wow thanks for the quick and comprehensive answer this is great but just to clarify i dont have to have the tmobile unlimited internet plan the one thats $30 i have the unlimited blackberry service plan for $20 which includes unlimited internet and email.

Also as a follow-up will i be able to check my gmail account right on the phone and also will i be able to view full webpages with this phone like ign.com or digg.com
    Yes, u'll be able to check your GMail right on the phone. And u'll be able to view pretty much any website on your phone, it doesnt really show a "full" page since this aint a real browser but u will see all the pics links and basically stuff u'll need lol.

Welcome to PinStack
    Let us know if u have any other q's

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Quote Originally Posted by superkrai
    I have followed these steps exactly as above and get error 692 when computer tries dialing. Any ideas?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Superkrai, search this forum a little, I know there are alot of diff ways ppl explaining how to do this.