Phone ran out of battery tonight in the middle of a call. I plugged the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

pearlpearl12 no está en línea Stack level 2

"Battery too low for Radio Use" - while charging?

Advertisement

Phone ran out of battery tonight in the middle of a call.

I plugged the charger in and tried to dial the person back, but I got a message saying 'Battery too low for radio use.' This was while the phone was plugged in!!??

Is this by design? Seems silly to not be able to make calls when the phone is plugged into the wall...

Thanks.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: "Battery too low for Radio Use" - while charging?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ It takes a while for the battery to charge up from being totally dead. It won't do anything until it has about 45% battery power.

Can't the phone run off the wall power when its charging regardless of the battery power like every other electronic device?

For instance, you can take the batteries out of your laptop and plug it in to the wall and still use the computer???

Seems weird that the phone would be different - i thought it might have been a defect in my phone.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

I guess not. It's not good to drain a Litium-Ion battery dead. Better to keep charging in little phases. Lithium Ion doesn't keep memory so it's ok to charge as much as you want.

It should take less than an hour to get a full charge. My charger is pretty good at that.

Strange...

Well the battery has recharged a bit now but I just noticed the radio was still turned off. I manually turned it on by trying to make a call.

I would have guessed the radio would automatically turn back on once the battery had a little juice.

Thanks for the responses.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

anytime . I think you have to manually have to do it, because searching for a network sucks up a lot of juice. Constantly scanning for a network will put a bit damper on your battery life.

So if you're ever in an area without coverage, just turn your wireless off. It happened to my when I was in the Everglades last week on Vacation. Safe to say that there are no towers in the Everglades.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I know from first hand experience how frustrating it can be. I had a bad habit of letting my 7100t and 7105t drain completely but never losing contacts, calendar appointments or important messages. I have been much better with my Pearls and only one time let my first Pearl go down to 25% during a 7 day extended battery test.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I wonder if it has been suggested to RIM yet to change the type of battery used.