Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello everyone. Before I start I will say that I did search and did not ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Dafodyll no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

Battery Time (Maybe Issue)

Advertisement

Hello everyone. Before I start I will say that I did search and did not find what I was looking for which is odd since I believe I read a lot about it here before.

Anyway my question is about your battery life, time. I will walk you through my day and you tell me if you think its just me or if maybe I have a bogus battery.

Wake up at about 9 am and check my BB. Sort email, respond to urgent texts and check calander all before I even disconnect from the charger.

Around 10 a lot of texts and emails start rolling in. In a day I probably read and discard around 50+ emails and send and recieve several hundred text messages. I also have jive talk running some of the time.

In the afternoon I hop on opera and check the forums or look up some info about a job I'm doing here and there. By now I have less than half my battery left. I get a few calls through out the day that usually amount to 30 minutes or less. Of course some days more but on average I talk way less than I message.

By about 4 pm my battery is totally pleading for juice and I have to charge it. I fully charge it and by 1am its dying again. Of course from the time its charged in the late afternoon to 1am I am using it just as much as I was earlier.

I have recently upgraded to the Rodgers OS and now have PTT running all the time which I don't use. Other than that I don't know what I can change.

So to you crackberry addicts out there, are we in the same boat? Am I a uber addict or do I have a weak battery?

Thanks in advance.

~Amie~

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Battery Time (Maybe Issue)

The Battery on the Pearl isn't the best. Also, JiveTalk is a battery hog. I suggest getting the extended battery or carrying around a second charger and or battery

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

With that kind of heavy usage I would say that your battery life is about average. I have found that keeping Jive Talk in the backround does weigh a lot on your battery strain. I love JT too much to turn it off however. Also if you're not using your blue tooth keep that option turned off as well.
    Reducing your backlight Brightness and Backlight timeout will shave some juice usage also.
    The last thing I will suggest is removing the Vibrate option from your notifications unless it's absolutely vital. The vibrate motor is another major drain.

I hope I was able to help a little.

Good luck,
    - Jerry
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

PIN/ID
    Ask me

Smile Re: Battery Time (Maybe Issue)

Quote Originally Posted by jerrycrabb
    With that kind of heavy usage I would say that your battery life is about average. I have found that keeping Jive Talk in the backround does weigh a lot on your battery strain. I love JT too much to turn it off however. Also if you're not using your blue tooth keep that option turned off as well.
    Reducing your backlight Brightness and Backlight timeout will shave some juice usage also.
    The last thing I will suggest is removing the Vibrate option from your notifications unless it's absolutely vital. The vibrate motor is another major drain.

I hope I was able to help a little.

Good luck,
    - Jerry
    Thank you for your suggestions. I hate that I have to turn off things I need and use to save battery though. I guess I will just have to charge often. Can anybody tell me if PTT is making things worse and if so how I remove it?

I've only been a BB user for less than 2 months and as time goes I KNOW I will find more and more uses for my phone and I'm gonna be charging 5 times a day. LOL. Curse you RIM and your incredibly usefull devices! LOL

~Amie~

smomus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    248B113c

zeyrah no está en línea Stack level 3

Rim's warenty on batteries and charges goes for one year, unlike other companies who only warenty those parts for three months. Tmo honors. That, and so should the others cell companies. Call in to your service provider and tell them about how many times you have to charge your phone. Just don't tell them about the third party apps! Good luck!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

The OEM battery isn't that great as dasupaman23 said. Since you are such a heavy user I would look into one of these seidio extended batteries. It will save you from headaches later on.
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...&Category=1101

Also I'm not sure if you use the standby mode, by holding the mute button on top, but it is a great battery saver in the long run, when your phone is not in use.

I have the slim extended one, works great. I'm not sure if you would need the bigger one or not.

a4 moda no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

How long have you had your phone. Because the first 2 weeks of use the batt life sucked. But after that its great! I use jive 24 7 and Bluetooth is alwaysa on. Make sure the auto dim feature is on, delete ptt if you don't use it,my backlight is set to 30 seconds, and with all the apps on I can use it for 3 days without recharging. I send 50 messages daily as well.

Also if you use 3rd party themes it will drain batt life substantially. Good luck
    Last edited by a4 moda; 05-29-2007 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged.

PIN/ID
    Ask me

Quote Originally Posted by a4 moda

How long have you had your phone. Because the first 2 weeks of use the batt life sucked. But after that its great! I use jive 24 7 and Bluetooth is alwaysa on. Make sure the auto dim feature is on, delete ptt if you don't use it,my backlight is set to 30 seconds, and with all the apps on I can use it for 3 days without recharging. I send 50 messages daily as well.

Also if you use 3rd party themes it will drain batt life substantially. Good luck
    Ive had my phone about 1.5 months and I did notice the battery improved after the initial few charges. I think it started getting really bad though when I upgraded to the Rogers OS though because I turned auto dim off and PTT is always running. I hate to turn auto dim back on though because thats the whole reason I upgraded. LOL.

I'm going to attempt to delete PTT but I'm a scared. lol. I don't want to jack up my phone. As you can see it is my lifeline. You don't want to be a virtual assistant without a BB.

~Amie~

crash758 no está en línea Stack level 1

My batteries die daily

quantumiq no está en línea Stack level 2

i have to admit im a pretty heavy jive talk user and i use my BB as a MP3 player too, i end up charging every 1-2 days. quick question, my BB is with T-mobile, they dont' have PTT do they?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

No TMO doesn't have PTT. AT&T does and so does Sprint. I never understood the point of PTT. Might as well call the person or send them a text.

smomus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    248B113c

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    No TMO doesn't have PTT. AT&T does and so does Sprint. I never understood the point of PTT. Might as well call the person or send them a text.

*Nods head in agreement* yup

LLc0oLJ no está en línea Stack level 3

yea try the seido one it works really well and i dont really notice the size difference unless its in my hand

PIN/ID
    Ask me

Quote Originally Posted by LLc0oLJ
    yea try the seido one it works really well and i dont really notice the size difference unless its in my hand
    The trouble with that is they do not have the battery door for the red pearl. Just the white and black. Boo Hoo.

~Amie~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast