The Pearl is my first BB. In the past, I have generally charged my phones ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

pearlpearl12 no está en línea Stack level 2

Battery Question

Advertisement

The Pearl is my first BB. In the past, I have generally charged my phones fully over night and then worn them down during the next 1-2 days.

In an effort to not receive emails on my computer and BB while I'm at work, I want to hook the BB up to my computer during the day.

My question is, will having the BB hooked up to the computer all day long negatively affect the battery life at all?

Thanks

Re: Battery Question

Well I thought connecting the phone to the computer would prohibit emails from going to the BB, but it didnt. On the BB Desktop Manager, Email Settings, I have the 'Disable Message Redirection...' checkbox selected. Is this right?

What needs to be done so that my BB doesn't receive emails while I'm connected to my comp?

Thanks again.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Welcome to the Stacks PearlPearl12. Actually having your BB connected to your computer via USB all day will charge your battery, not run it down. With regards to not receiving emails during the day......I'm not sure there is another option other than turning it off. If I am wrong, someone will be by to correct me.

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by ljbyar
    Welcome to the Stacks PearlPearl12. Actually having your BB connected to your computer via USB all day will charge your battery, not run it down. With regards to not receiving emails during the day......I'm not sure there is another option other than turning it off. If I am wrong, someone will be by to correct me.
    There's a setting in the Desktop manager on the Email tab that says "Disable message redirection while device is connected". If that box is checked, then when you have your Pearl connected to your PC, it won't get any email. (I'm not sure if Desktop manager has to be connected or not, but if so, you can have Desktop Manager automatically start on boot anyway.)

Here's a screenshot:

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Very nice Dkozin, thanks!

rwcohen no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204CA3A1

Where is that email tab, I've been all over the current version if the Desktop Manager and could not find it.

TIA

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by rwcohen
    Where is that email tab, I've been all over the current version if the Desktop Manager and could not find it.

TIA
    Using Desktop Manager 4.2, it's right in the middle, and says "Email Settings". The settings I showed previously were on the "General" tab when you click there. The administrator can remove some of the options present there, though I don't know if Email Settings is one of them.

My Desktop manager looks like this:

Thanks dkozinn, but like I said in my original posts, I already have that checkbox selected...and I still recieved emails.

Also, as for my battery question, I know that plugging the BB into the computer charges the battery. My concern was regarding future battery LIFE, as the battery will almost always be charging. [Most manuals suggest that you do not leave your electronics plugged in for long periods of time when they don't need to be charged]

Thanks

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by pearlpearl12
    Thanks dkozinn, but like I said in my original posts, I already have that checkbox selected...and I still recieved emails.
    Just out of curiosity, are you getting personal email (from a BIS server) as well as from a corporate BES? I don't think the desktop manager BES settings will affect email on a BIS account.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlpearl12
    Also, as for my battery question, I know that plugging the BB into the computer charges the battery. My concern was regarding future battery LIFE, as the battery will almost always be charging. [Most manuals suggest that you do not leave your electronics plugged in for long periods of time when they don't need to be charged]
    I'm reasonably sure that the batteries in the Pearl won't get damaged by leaving them plugged in for long periods of time (though I would suggest that if you'e going to leave the device unattended for an extended period, like several days, that you might want to unplug it to be on the safe side.) Unlike the old NiCad batteries, newer cells (NiMH, Lithium Ion, etc.) don't suffer from "memory effect", which is where you run into problems with charging batteries that aren't fully drained. I have a 7290 here that I use for testing and it's plugged in just about all the time, but when I do disconnect, the battery life doesn't seem to have changed to any noticeable extent.

Thanks
    You're welcome.

David

rwcohen no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204CA3A1

Quote Originally Posted by dkozinn
    Using Desktop Manager 4.2, it's right in the middle, and says "Email Settings". The settings I showed previously were on the "General" tab when you click there. The administrator can remove some of the options present there, though I don't know if Email Settings is one of them.

My Desktop manager looks like this:
    Is that T-Mo? I am using 4.2.0.14 and do not have that email tab. What system do you use? Ah, I see you are on Cing. Any harm using Cingular destop Mgr for a T-Mo phone?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Are you on a BES? This thread concerns the interaction between the BB and the Desktop while connected to a BES.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles