Hi all, I'm having a bit of difficulty undertanding the resetting of my Pearl (or ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

benojir no está en línea Stack level 2

Battery pull/hard/soft reset

Advertisement

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of difficulty undertanding the resetting of my Pearl (or maybe I'm just pedantic), and the search function doesnt give me a full explanation.

I've heard numerous pharases uses: Hard reset, soft reset, battery pull, wipe/reload.
    I've also read that some people advise to remove the battery whilst the BB is on, hold the off button for 30 secs, then replace.

Whereas otheres say switch off first, remove battery for 30secs, then replace.

I've also started using the program Softreset, which seems to work well.

So, the question is, would someone be abele to explain the resets, from the simplest one to the full wipe/reinstall, and how to do them/what they are called here on pinstacks.

Any help appreciated. (FYI I turn off the Pearl every few days, take the battery out for a minute and replace, to keep the system running smoothly. Is that the right type of reset and frequent enough?)

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

littlemojo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2509fd64

Re: Battery pull/hard/soft reset

hi there a soft reset is when you just turn the pearl off and then back on again,
    a hard reset or battery pull as its also know is when you take the battery out and wait a few seconds before putting the battery back in and turning it back on again.
    the benfit of a hard reset is that it clears the memory off the bb so if you had lots of programs running slowing the bb down it will shut them all off where as the soft reset will not.
    i normaly do a hard reset once a week just to keep everything running smooth.
    Death is only the beginning

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Yea that's a hard reset Ben. If you pull it out and while it's on or off it's a reset.

The application Softreset does the exact same thing without having to pull out the battery. I'll still pull out the battery on occassion. The only reason for pulling the battery is to clear any issuse with memory leakage. It was a bug a few OSs back.

Now reinstalling and wiping are a totally different issue
    Here's one thread that may help.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...uter_wont.html

I guess you could call this a reset, but then it just gets confusing. Most people usually refer to this as 'wiping' your BB.

Hope that helps and is understandable...just woke up and still a bit fuzzy minded.

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Here's another thread that explains a step by step for wipin your pearl. Also known as master reset lol
    Last edited by StaceyRVC; 04-23-2007 at 08:34 PM.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Well, what I've been telling people(which doesn't mean it's right), is that a soft reset is a battery pull, and a hard reset is a wipe...
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Lol! As long as we all understand what we're talking.

teleberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23F8AB7F

I don't think the softreset program and the battery pull reset are the same. They probably are close, but my pearl lost data services only without explaination (no problem with phone function, network, RIM or service books). I tried turning it off>>nuthin
    Softreset program>>nuthin
    Finally a hard (battery out >30sec) reset and now it works like a charm.
    Go figure.