Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I bought a Cingular branded BB Pearl last Friday. I have been playing with it ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mbranscum no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2161A8BC

Battery life on the Pearl...is this normal???

Advertisement

I bought a Cingular branded BB Pearl last Friday. I have been playing with it over the weekend, but today (Monday) was a real work day test. I charged it all night and took it off the charger at 7:00 am. While getting ready for work I read some RSS feeds with Viigo, and checked a couple of web pages. Throughout the day I have used Beyond 411 4-5 times to look up a number and made a few calls. It is now 4:00 pm (8 hours later) and my battery is down to 30%. I am pushing mail from my gmail account and do not currently have a messenger program running in the background.

Is this typical battery life? I was a little suprised that my Treo 680's battery life would be similar to the Pearl.

Bigkahuna808 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Battery life on the Pearl...is this normal???

My pearl last me about a day to day half with all the crap I got loaded on it My treo 650 I charge 1x a week.

baseballkyle no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

your BB will get better battery life over the next few weeks. charge it up and then run it down until it dies a few times, and just use the thing, and you will notice some improvement over time....

for me i get a couple of days. BUT that is w/ JiveTalk running (battery killer!!). i get 4-5 days w/out JiveTalk running. i love it to death, but it sucks the power!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

You really don't want to run down a lithium-ion battery until it dies. It doesn't have memory so, there's no need to drain it completly and then recharge it.

Battery life all depends on usage. I have the slim extended battery and still charge my battery every night if it needs it or not. My Jivetalk is on 24/7. I just like to have a fresh charge in the morning.

Ways to conserver battery life. Use standby mode, don't keep apps running in the background, keep your auto-dim turned on. Bluetooth, and if your phone has to keep searching for a network runs it down pretty quickly also.

Hope this helps.

PIN/ID
    2161A8BC

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    Use standby mode,
    What do you mean by this?

Sheesh! My battery was completely gone by 7:00 pm. That's definitely not gonna cut it!

EDIT: Also, will having email hooked up to Google, which pushes instantly vs. using an IMAP address, which only polls every few minutes, make the battery drain faster???

Thanks.
    Last edited by mbranscum; 05-07-2007 at 11:42 PM.

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99

My pearl is brand new and runs all day almost with jivetalk running all day and several other things running. I hear the battery life gets better with time, but I have a car charger and another charger I take to work with me to keep it charged.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum
    What do you mean by this?

Sheesh! My battery was completely gone by 7:00 pm. That's definitely not gonna cut it!

EDIT: Also, will having email hooked up to Google, which pushes instantly vs. using an IMAP address, which only polls every few minutes, make the battery drain faster???

Thanks.
    Oh just hold down the mute button on the top of the pearl to put it into standby mode. It conserves battery and you still get calls and messages.

PIN/ID
    2161A8BC

Cool...will this also suspend email?

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99

You will still recieve e-mails.

PIN/ID
    2161A8BC

I wonder what percentage of BB user use the suspend feature? Also, I just ordered a case with the "sleeper function." Does this mean the phone will automatically go into this mode when holstered, or is that something else?

PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum
    " Does this mean the phone will automatically go into this mode when holstered, or is that something else?
    yup sure does.

PIN/ID
    2161A8BC

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    yup sure does.
    OK...thanks for being so patient with me. I have been using WM5, Palm and Symbian phones and this BB stuff is really foreign to me...but I am really impressed with the OS. MUCH more stable and functional. For years I said, what's the big deal with BB? Now I know.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Hey don't worry man. This what the forum is for. Ask all the questions you want.

baseballkyle no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

but, no matter how you go about it, battery life improves over the first few weeks of using the device. that is a fact.

the argument about lithium ion batts and memory has been going on for years (and will continue to do so)...... i respect reddog's opinion and am not disagreeing per se, just saying that i have seen both sides of this argument from very knowledgeable individuals over the years.

also, using standby mode is a great tip that i don't think a lot of users take advantage of enough.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Another tip is, if you have a USB cable, keep it connected to the PC. Or I also have it connected to a wall charger at home. I have now been able to get 2 days out of my extended battery doing this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast