I looked up posts concerning this but every time I click the link it says ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

StellaCaelum5 no está en línea Stack level 2

battery life- it's terrible?!

Advertisement

I looked up posts concerning this but every time I click the link it says "page not displayed" so I'm just putting up my own post about this....

I've had my blackberry pearl for about a week now. The first charge was from 5pm til 10am the next morning. The battery life the first couple days was good. Then, once I downloaded programs (gmaps, gmail, opera mini, color pearl) the battery life SUCKS! I can make it through about a day and a half with a full battery- and I don't even use the phone that much! I have google talk and gmail turned on all the time, could that be the problem? Otherwise I leave other programs off like Opera mini and what-not (meaning I exit them through the menu instead of just hitting the "cancel call" button).

Any suggestions on enhancing battery life? Should I buy a new battery and charge it for longer?- I didn't charge it a full 24hr. because I was reading everywhere that the batter is lithium and thus doesn't have a "memory" like old cell phone batteries....

Thanks!!!

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Any programs that are data intensive will drain the battery noticeably faster than usual, so most likely those are the culprits. Integrate your Gmail into BIS instead of using the separate application if possible to help the battery.

From "Guide to: Blackberry Tips and Tricks (Complete)":

Battery

The largest draw on a battery is the transmitter. A few things that drain the battery:

1) Frequent phone use.

2) Being in fringe or no coverage areas will eat up your battery as it attempts to transmit. If you're in an area that is out of range, turn your handheld's radio off manually or use Options / Auto On Off to conserve battery life.

3) Third party applications that must communicate frequently to maintain state (like some IM clients).

Heavy use of the backlight will also drain your battery.

Note: Extended/high capacity batteries can be purchased for some of the blackberry handhelds.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

what's BIS?...

tws777 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaCaelum5 View Post
    what's BIS?...
    Blackberry Internet Service.
    BIS is personal
    BES is for enterprises. Usually work phones, etc...

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    A day and a half with moderate usage sounds average to me. You would have to
    buy a special battery to do better.

With all the apps you have loaded, it could be they are running in the background. You can find out by hitting Alt & Esc (together)

(Alt is the lowest leftmost key, Esc is the key to the right of the trackball)

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Yeah, you'll need to charge your phone nightly. This isn't an old Nokia that can go days without charging because it has a crappy screen that displays numbers only.

This is a device with a large multimedia screen running numerous applications in the background and being used. Plus, when you first buy a new device, you play with it and use it alot more than you will a few months from now.

Close out all applications properly by going to the Menu of that application and selecting "Close". Otherwise, it will continue running in the background and drain the battery.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

Okay, thanks for all the tips.

I tried closing out all the apps but blackberry messenger and "BIS" won't close out? I don't use them at all and actually have them hidden, are they just on the switch app screen by default?....

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Yes, you cannot close these applications. They always run in the background just like the phone and browser.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Right... mostly, you would be looking for the Google stuff.

Another point: when I am in a location without signal (say, underground in the Metro) I turn the Wireless Off (from the main screen). I can still read already downloaded emails, compose answers, etc. It saves a bit of battery, the BB not
    trying continuously to connect.