[Yes, I've searched and I have been going thru a lot of information--too much or ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

drmoze no está en línea Stack level 2

Basic texting Q's

Advertisement

[Yes, I've searched and I have been going thru a lot of information--too much or not enough depending on the search!-- but not finding or understanding some basic info I want regarding text messages, so...]

I'm still mostly clueless regarding text messaging, so here are some basic questions I still don't get:

Why is texting used instead of e-mails? (Both are easily accessed on a Pearl.) Is it because most phones can only send messages to another phone number?

Why are some/most data plans charged for text messages but not for pushed emails? (I have tmo BES, $0.10 per message.)

Can a Pearl be set up to refuse text messages and avoid charges? Or better yet, can they be converted and received as emails instead? Is there a way to get other people to send emails (free) rather than texts (at a dime apiece)?

I guess I don't get why text messages having limited length incur a charge (for both sending and receiving) while unlimited-length e-mails (even with attachments) are included in the data plan. Aren't text messages just sending data?

Feel free to point me to a really basic guide to make sense of texting, if there is one. Searching here and reading up on the tmo website hasn't brought me enlightenment.

If I get this figured out, I may then try to get my brain around what the IM thing is all about...

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Re: Basic texting Q's

Quote Originally Posted by drmoze
    [Yes, I've searched and I have been going thru a lot of information--too much or not enough depending on the search!-- but not finding or understanding some basic info I want regarding text messages, so...]

I'm still mostly clueless regarding text messaging, so here are some basic questions I still don't get:

Why is texting used instead of e-mails? (Both are easily accessed on a Pearl.) Is it because most phones can only send messages to another phone number?

Why are some/most data plans charged for text messages but not for pushed emails? (I have tmo BES, $0.10 per message.)

Can a Pearl be set up to refuse text messages and avoid charges? Or better yet, can they be converted and received as emails instead? Is there a way to get other people to send emails (free) rather than texts (at a dime apiece)?

I guess I don't get why text messages having limited length incur a charge (for both sending and receiving) while unlimited-length e-mails (even with attachments) are included in the data plan. Aren't text messages just sending data?

Feel free to point me to a really basic guide to make sense of texting, if there is one. Searching here and reading up on the tmo website hasn't brought me enlightenment.

If I get this figured out, I may then try to get my brain around what the IM thing is all about...
    let me take a crack at this.

1.) It depends on what you're asking, are you asking why most ppl (not necessarily blackberry users) use txt messaging instead of e-mail or are you asking specifically for blackberry users. If its ppl in general then I would say its because most of them dont have the necessary service required for e-mailing and generally those ppl dont need it either. So instead those ppl use txt messaging

2.) Some data plans allow for an allotment of txt messages and some dont include any at all. This IMO is because most cell phone companies have more ppl using txt then e-mail so more money is made off of that. Remember most people dont use blackberries (or any other pda) so push e-mail service is not a big way to make money for these companies, of course I'm looking at this from a strictly financial standpoint. the actual reason is dependent upon the carrier

3.) To refute txt messages I believe you can do it by going to options>security options>firewall and then select what you want to be blocked. But I'm not sure of the e-mail conversion thing but I dont think its possible.

4.) As for more info on txt you should be able to find some info on this forum, if not you can always google it, I dont have any specific links that I could provide otherwise I would.

Hope this helps

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

Yes but not everyone has a Pearl, so it would be necessary for someone to text not email. Also as said before not everyone has email service on their phone.

Its just that some data plans include text, its not the data plan charging or not for SMS(Short Message Service)since it is a seperate service from the "Blackberry Data Plan" that you buy to access the Blackberry Data Network.

Text messages are actually sent over GSM in most cases not the Blackberry Data Network.

Here is some background on SMS:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_message_service
    Read the History also at the bottom.

Thx to both of you for info. (I should have thought of at least checking the W'pedia!) I didn't know that there were separate networks--the GSM (phone?) network and the BB data network.

I will just have to insist that all my friends get BBs and e-mail me, and get out of the 90's texting thing.

It also looks like sms can't be blocked, and that messages are charged *both* at the sending and receiving ends!

NP thats what we are here for

Yeah I dont know of any way to block them, and I dont like the fact that its charged both sending and recieving.

Im not sure about all phones but on one of my old ones if I didnt open the Text I wasnt charged.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

drmoze, I'm not sure about a TMO Pearl on a BES, but a Cingular Pearl on BIS has an place to block SMS messages. Try going to Options/Security Options/Firewall and see if there aren't options to block SMS, MMS, PIN, or BlackBerry Internet Service.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    drmoze, I'm not sure about a TMO Pearl on a BES, but a Cingular Pearl on BIS has an place to block SMS messages. Try going to Options/Security Options/Firewall and see if there aren't options to block SMS, MMS, PIN, or BlackBerry Internet Service.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    Aha, Never noticed that.

Learn something new everyday

Yes, the option to block those things *is* there. Thx! My statement above on not being able to block came from the Wikipedia entry. It obviously doesn't apply to a 'sophisticated' system like the BB's! $^)

ceverhart no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20D0514

Text messaging is just a quick, and instantaneous way to talk to people. Email. i dont know many people that support email on their phone. I personally prefer text messaging to email, but I guess if there wasnt a delay on email getting delivered, and I sent a lot of attachments and such, I would prefer email. Like I said though, sms is just quick and seimple.

E-mails seem to go thru quite quickly in my experience. My gf and I use them, and it's just as quick to type one as a text message. (Me on BES, her on BIS.) Select contact, type message, press send. Pretty simple, at least oon a BB. And it's free, which is much better than being gouged for SMS.