How does my pearl know to turn off the backlight when i slide it into ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

cry0fth3carr0ts no está en línea Stack level 1

backlight huh!

Advertisement

How does my pearl know to turn off the backlight when i slide it into the case? There are no buttons being pressed... its strange.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: backlight huh!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ there is a magnet in the case that puts it to sleep

ah! thats why it cost $20!

Shel no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by cry0fth3carr0ts
    How does my pearl know to turn off the backlight when i slide it into the case? There are no buttons being pressed... its strange.
    Two possibilities...one, if your case came with a magnet to activate sleep mode, which some Pearl specific cases come with, your Pearl will enter "Sleep Mode"when it sensees the magnet. This is a great feature! It allows your Pearl to conserve battery life, without the user having to do anything special, other then putting his/her Pearl in it's case (I just ordered a case for my Pearl, from Seidio Online, which has this feature).

The second possiblity is, the Pearl has a light sensor... that's what allows it to dim when you go into a dark room (so your aren't blinded by a bright screen, while wasting battery life), and increase the brighness when you go outdoors, into bright sunlight.

Overall, RIM has put in this device some really cleaver features! The more you use it, the more you'll discover!

bfdm_mexi no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a27821

the "Proximity Sensors" on the back of the phone do... the gold tabs next to the battery latch. the Case has either a slightly magnetic plate or something that tells it its going "away" which in turn turns off the backlight and saves you precious power. also its not possible to dial or accidently switch something on while its in there... although with your button tones on they still make noise occasionaly but do nothing.
    Or atleast thats how I figure it.
    AT&T. 9000 Bold. Fresno, CA

thx fro the help!